Madison Scouts 2011

Yes, we'll be there for the dress rehearsal - as well as the show in Indianapolis on Tuesday. GO MADISON!!!

Is there any chance you could share your thoughts about the show with us who can not attend ?

While we dont have a draft in Drum Corps, nobody here is delusional enough to think that the 8 TOC announced Corps didn't collectively get a HUGELY larger talent pool to " draft " talent from this off season from that of( say ) Corps finishing 9-18 last year. You hit the nail on the head that the " status " of the TOC Corps will make these TOC Corps WANT to consider their advantaged position within the World Class Division Group Slotted System. I don't disagree with you on this point at all. In fact, I agree with you on this point. I'm simply stating my belief that it might occur that some of the TOC Corps may conclude that the financial costs are not worth the continuation of their participation in the World Class Group Slotting System requirements in terms of additional travel costs.

I could be proven wrong, but in my opinion, the TOC concept of 8 Super Corps, if codified as an annual event after this year, would make the chances of cracking these top 8 pretty much impossible. Thats right, pretty much impossible. If the TOC concept of 8 Corps continues, the chances of ( say ) Academy, Troopers, Glassmen, Colts, Crossmen, Spirit,.. probably Boston... and others moving up into the Top 8 is frankly almost ludicrous. They'd have basically no shot. Thats because the 8 Corps would have more of the revenues, marching talent, staff, recruiting edges, etc from the TOC concept implementation to make movement into the top 8 in such a system a mere unattainable pipedream for the others. We barely have movement within the upper tier as it is. To institute an 8 Corps super Division within the World Class Division makes a mockery of the idea of free and open competition where a level playing field is the norm. But thats just my 2 cents input on this too.

I don't want to get off-topic here, but I agree with your concerns. My primary worry is that those who don't make it into those corps will drop the idea of marching altogether.

I don't want to get off-topic here, but I agree with your concerns. My primary worry is that those who don't make it into those corps will drop the idea of marching altogether.

I don't think that's any different than what is occurring already. It's been commonplace for a long time for some kids to pick a corps they want to march with and decide not to march if they don't make it. Others go to another corps and have great experiences, and props to them for not sitting the summer out.

Anyways, we'll know soon enough if there appears to be a challenger to break in to TOC this year. I for one am psyched to see Empire State of Mind on the field this summer. I think if any corps has the ability to challenge for a TOC spot this year it will be Madison or Boston.

Due to the weather outlook for today, we have CANCELLED our dress rehearsal this evening.

We have reschedule the dress rehearsal for an 8:31p step-off on Monday, June 20th at Indiana University's Memorial Stadium. Public entrance will be from the SE corner (non-concert side end-zone).

Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to see you on Monday evening.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Scouts Color Guard lookin' real sharp!

ScoutsColorGuard-vi.jpg

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 2

Given the economic challenges, the only way that Drum Corps will survive is if Corps start recruiting local kids again. Forget the music majors & bandos...get the local kids to join.

So the silly text voting thing was only for the 2 shows this past saturday, right?