Madison Scouts 2011

I would think maybe a late season addition (like last year's white neckerchief) IF the feet were deemed to be "clean" enough.

Hope not.....imagine Cavies going back to white bucks...talk about a neon sign saying LOOK AT MY FEET, Unless Scouts want to do it for some crowd reaction ( UGH )

I would think maybe a late season addition (like last year's white neckerchief) IF the feet were deemed to be "clean" enough.

We apologize for the fault in this post.

Those responsible have been sacked.

In other words, I don't think it's likely that any visual staff in their right mind would willingly put spats back on the field. Alumni -- yes. But a competitive corps would have to be insane.

(oh and if you're not a python fan -- the above is a joke not an insult. just google it).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

In other words, I don't think it's likely that any visual staff in their right mind would willingly put spats back on the field.

Oh, I assure you, they definitely wanted to do it. Personally, I think it's something that should be earned. Something to strive toward and a goal for the members. I would like to see it be something they adopt each summer once the show gets to a level where it's deserved...a reward of sorts. But I wouldn't put it past Jim Mason and crew to do something that bold and I think it would be a tremendous addition.

Doing (or NOT doing) something out of "fear" is the wrong motivation. A decision like that has to be made out of confidence rather than fear of what it will look like.

• Like 1

We apologize for the fault in this post.

Those responsible have been sacked.

In other words, I don't think it's likely that any visual staff in their right mind would willing put spats back on the field. Alumni -- yes. But a competitive corps would have be insane.

(oh and if you're not a python fan -- the above is a joke not an insult. just google it).

[/qu

I am an alum. I am sure the powers that be will do what they feel is best for the corps . That is fine with me !

But, take a look at the recap's from prelims in 1981 (side 2 ). We had only 6 tick's the entire show . We had spats on . They were more than likely all on me ! :lookaround: We had an instructor that would throw rocks at ya if you messed up . I think it worked because we got pretty darn good !!!!! :tongue: Maybe that's why I limp today ? :rock: I saw many a rock come my way !

Edited by Bill L.
  • Like 1

But a competitive corps would have to be insane.

Insanity has many definitions...

Bottle Dance?

Blindfolding a competitive snare line?

Stepping over a color guard?

Medea?

I know I'm a dinosaur, but remember when drum corps was more about "wouldn't it be cool if..." than it was about kissing a judges....posterior?

• Like 1

Doing (or NOT doing) something out of "fear" is the wrong motivation. A decision like that has to be made out of confidence rather than fear of what it will look like.

IMO it has nothing to do with fear. If you are sparkling without the spats but putting the spats on reveals a lot very very small timing errors that were previously invisible, it makes no sense at all to give a judge the opportunity to ding you. No one is going to *give* you credit for the spats but you will *lose* points. Nothing to do with fear -- it's about giving your performers the best opportunity to succeed.

• Like 1

IMO it has nothing to do with fear. If you are sparkling without the spats but putting the spats on reveals a lot very very small timing errors that were previously invisible, it makes no sense at all to give a judge the opportunity to ding you. No one is going to *give* you credit for the spats but you will *lose* points. Nothing to do with fear -- it's about giving your performers the best opportunity to succeed.

Exactly, it may be a nice bone to throw the fans/alumni, but adding them will do nothing from a scoring potential except possibly in the negative sense. I just fail to see why it would be worth the risk.

Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra

Remembrance

Funny

Ice Castles

Wouldn't that be awesome? Yes.

How about a Spaghetti Western theme show w/ music from Ennio Morricone. Titled: "The Man with No Name" There is plenty of music to choose from. It would fit Madison's latin roots and be masculine, original, and loud.

C for G and JO would be a fantastic retread. Loved that piece. Remembrance. YES. For the closer I say go with 86's closer.