Madison Scouts 2011

Madison's hornline is definitely stronger than last year's all the way around...and the bottom end is SOOOO much stronger!! This ensemble will push the stands back a few feet this year...with excellent balance included.

A few additions....just as a comparison to last year at this time.....

Music, drill, perc....all more difficult than last year....a good thing! Color Guard will do well again...another good thing. As stated, the music/hornline is stronger with pretty much the same bass element as last year.....an overall better blend in sound. Perc has some really cool things happening....a good step up from last year! With that said....and being that the drill is more difficult....it is a bit on the sloppy side...especially in the footwork area. Personally, I don't think the uniform (pants) helps the cause...if someone is out of step by just a little, it really shows. Additionally, I would have liked to have seen more red in the color scheme....sash or somewhere. It's still a bit too much on the grey/gray side to me. Pretty much the same uni as last year. Color guard suit and tie thing is really cool! Finally, while I like the short sleeve shirt thing....I think a long sleeve shirt would work better for this show....and would make the corps look a little older. These guys look really young...but they pack a punch. I think this show will outdo last year's....certainly in the fan appreciation area. Placement-wise I don't see much of a change as I expect the competition will be better as well. All in all a nice upgrade from last year!

Thanks for the well written review. :)

Music, drill, perc....all more difficult than last year....a good thing! Color Guard will do well again...another good thing. As stated, the music/hornline is stronger with pretty much the same bass element as last year.....an overall better blend in sound. Perc has some really cool things happening....a good step up from last year! With that said....and being that the drill is more difficult....it is a bit on the sloppy side...especially in the footwork area. Personally, I don't think the uniform (pants) helps the cause...if someone is out of step by just a little, it really shows. Additionally, I would have liked to have seen more red in the color scheme....sash or somewhere. It's still a bit too much on the grey/gray side to me. Pretty much the same uni as last year. Color guard suit and tie thing is really cool! Finally, while I like the short sleeve shirt thing....I think a long sleeve shirt would work better for this show....and would make the corps look a little older. These guys look really young...but they pack a punch. I think this show will outdo last year's....certainly in the fan appreciation area. Placement-wise I don't see much of a change as I expect the competition will be better as well. All in all a nice upgrade from last year!

In my opinion, the end, whether a Corps finishes ( say ) 4th to 12 at Finals with the judges doesn't matter as much as whether your Corps was 4th or 12th in entertainment value to the fans.

I see nothing really endearing nor enobling to finish a couple of notches up the placement ladder if the fans think the Corps show is mostly meh.

I have a hunch that Madison won't be meh this year with the nationwide thousands of fans it will perform before. If true, from that perspective, " its all good ".

Good points....I should have been more clear....I, too, feel that there is no point to placing better in the eyes of the judges at the cost of losing the crowd. So, while I think they (Scouts) may not move up this year in placement, I do feel they will move many steps forward in terms of crowd approval....which is most important in the big picture.

You mentioned the pants? Did they change pants or did they finally start wearing the spats?

• Like 1

I stand by my opinion in the "most/least surprising show" thread that this show wins both categories for me -- I laughed out loud in the beginning in a very happy way to hear and see the 2010 references, but the middle of the show was a very novel experience.

I can definitely appreciate the huge improvement in difficulty of music and drill this year. It seems that the percussion seems to be about as good as it was by the end of the season last year -- YouTube could be playing tricks on my ears, though, because that's incredible, actually. I can also tell there's a lot of work to be done, but this staff definitely knows how to push the group, and I have no doubt that by the time I see the show next month, it will be solid. I especially can't wait for that closer to really come together and to be able to see that live. :thumbup:

If I could make it here

I could make it anywhere

That’s what they say

Yeah, saw the video of the full dress rehearsal and have to say there's some really

great stuff going on and the show has huge potential. They seem to have written it in such a way that they can expand upon it as the season progresses. I see improvements

across the board from last year. The Guard really stood out to me as having

some spectacular moments. And I'm really glad to see that the theme isn't cheesy

or overdone at all. They put the music/visual first and the concept second.

The hornline sounds lush and powerful throughout, but they did sound like they were getting tired in the closer. I'm sure that will be fixed as they gain endurance.

• Like 1

Also checked out the vidoe clip of the Scouts battery rehearsing in the lot.

Wow. Like someone said on there, there's more notes in that one clip

than the entire 2010 show. Obviuosly an exaggeration, but wow do they play some

meaty notes...and they're doing it very well!

Another thing I noticed watching the whole show again, is that there's more

depth and layering to this show than last year. There's more for people

to grab onto and I think this show will reach a wider audience...and that's

a good thing!