Rank the Blue Devils shows PRE-multi-key

Losing Float following 90 really hurt...I think three was a lot of turmoil in the drum line in 91....instructor changes, and more book ones than usual.

Wasn't there are rather large exodus from the line after Float left? I seem to remember they had a good number of members go elsewhere.

Edited by Zeke

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988 - I saw this corps many times and that hornline was just so cool to listen too.
  • 1991 - Again - that hornline was just amazing. The blend, intonation, and timing was incredible. Plus the music was just jaw dropping with that impeccable sound.
  • 1998 - The opening minute was amazing. The swell of sound going from the small ensemble to a field filling sound.
  • 1986 - One of the best drum corps shows of all time. The epitome of a Blue Devil show.
  • 1980 - Amazing horn sound and soloists. The music was too cool.
  • 1979 - Raw power from the hornline and the beginnings of a new sound with the arranging and solo work.
  • 1982 - The best hornline I ever marched in. As Tony state, one seriously ticked off drum corps that had it's sites set on one thing. It wasn't winning per se. It was being the best drum corps of all time that others would talk about as long as drum corps was around. Winning was the result of achieving that goal.
  • 1984 - the 2nd best hornline I ever marched in. Another angry line that had the could rival 82 Blue Devils with the ability to crank out hell on fire performances night after night. And what do you do with angry Blue Devil horn lines? Well, feed it a little La Fiesta and see what happens. We ended the "Concert" era with the best Concert tune possible....and backed up by a killer drumline.
  • 1985 - A refined hornline. One alumn thinks the ultimate drum corps would be the 86 BD show with the 85 hornline. That would've been scary. Too bad we couldn't march.
  • 1994 - Blue Devils return to their winning ways. The show was so new plus the Star Trek uniforms were quite a departure from the previous style.
  • 1981 - Not sure how we did it. But we won horns and almost won DCI. Listening to early season recordings of 81, you would've thought we would be lucky to make finals. Wasn't pretty.

91 - best horn line ever

90 - 2nd best horn line ever - yes, they didn't have the challenging book of some of their competitors, but they played SOOOO well - there are 2 spots in the 2nd number where the stadium actually RINGS with their release -

88 - what a great, fun corps

82 - perhaps the best 'first decade of drum corps' horn line - you can hear the confidence oozing out of the bells as they play

85 - there is something about a BD horn line that's NOT winning...it makes them...well, put something in their sound and approach that's very exciting - This horn line has it - in spades

94 - didn't much care for the 'show' - but the performance was outrageously amazing

84 - another fabulous horn performance - gunning for victory gives them something special

80 - perhaps the ultimate performance with French Horn bugles -

79 - close 2nd to 80 - love those French Horns!

86 - obviously great - but what 85 and 84 and 91 and 90 gain from the chase, 86 loses through the surety of victory

I was just watching the finals broadcast from 91 yesterday. BD had a 19.6 in brass and a 17.2 in perc. That is quite a spread.

Top ten for me:

1. 1994

2. 1992

3. 1986

4. 1995

5. 1997

6. 1996

7. 1999

8. 1998

9. 1990

10. 1988

80 - perhaps the ultimate performance with French Horn bugles -

79 - close 2nd to 80 - love those French Horns!

Well thanks, and thanks! Did you ever hear the alumni french horn octet recordings we made?

• 1988 - I saw this corps many times and that hornline was just so cool to listen too.
  • 1991 - Again - that hornline was just amazing. The blend, intonation, and timing was incredible. Plus the music was just jaw dropping with that impeccable sound.
  • 1998 - The opening minute was amazing. The swell of sound going from the small ensemble to a field filling sound.
  • 1986 - One of the best drum corps shows of all time. The epitome of a Blue Devil show.
  • 1980 - Amazing horn sound and soloists. The music was too cool.
  • 1979 - Raw power from the hornline and the beginnings of a new sound with the arranging and solo work.
  • 1982 - The best hornline I ever marched in. As Tony state, one seriously ticked off drum corps that had it's sites set on one thing. It wasn't winning per se. It was being the best drum corps of all time that others would talk about as long as drum corps was around. Winning was the result of achieving that goal.
  • 1984 - the 2nd best hornline I ever marched in. Another angry line that had the could rival 82 Blue Devils with the ability to crank out hell on fire performances night after night. And what do you do with angry Blue Devil horn lines? Well, feed it a little La Fiesta and see what happens. We ended the "Concert" era with the best Concert tune possible....and backed up by a killer drumline.
  • 1985 - A refined hornline. One alumn thinks the ultimate drum corps would be the 86 BD show with the 85 hornline. That would've been scary. Too bad we couldn't march.
  • 1994 - Blue Devils return to their winning ways. The show was so new plus the Star Trek uniforms were quite a departure from the previous style.
  • 1981 - Not sure how we did it. But we won horns and almost won DCI. Listening to early season recordings of 81, you would've thought we would be lucky to make finals. Wasn't pretty.

We were pretty angry and motivated in 1979 too...

I have heard that Alumni recording - lots of FINE playing there!

79...yep...I think they won quite a bit that season...but never seemed to lose that sense of being the chaser...as opposed to the chased. It definitely seems to help the Devils - at least of that era -

I'm sorry, but that is just too much to rank. I will mention my favorite Blue Devils shows from those years.

1976: Classic drumcorps at its finest.

1982: Still a favorite.

1986: Just perfect.

1988: Amazing performance and a new look.

1989: Wailing brass. They let it all hang out! (too bad about the famous "frak" though...)

1992: When a man loves a woman just brings the house down.

1993: Their brass line was just so amazing to see live that year. LOVE IT!

1994: So tight (I hate that expression, but it fits.)

1997: Amazing amazing performance at finals. Near perfect!

1999: Musically and visually a treat!