Your favorite Star of Indiana shows of "all time"

Star of Indiana Shows  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Star show ever?

• 1985: The Music of Walt Disney
    • 1986: ET/Close Encounters/Star Wars
    • 1987: The Greatest Show on Turf
    • 1988: Porgy and Bess
    • 1989: Henry V
    • 1990: Belshazzar's Feast
    • 1991: Roman Images
    • 1992: American Variations
    • 1993: The Music of Barber and Bartok
  2. 2. What's your least favorite Star show ever?

• 1985: The Music of Walt Disney
    • 1986: ET/Close Encounters/Star Wars
    • 1987: The Greatest Show on Turf
    • 1988: Porgy and Bess
    • 1989: Henry V
    • 1990: Belshazzar's Feast
    • 1991: Roman Images
    • 1992: American Variations
    • 1993: The Music of Barber and Bartok
  3. 3. What did you prefer?

• Star of Indiana drum and bugle corps
    • Brass Theatre with the Canadian Brass
    • Blast! on Broadway
    • I'm not familiar enough with Star's post-DCI efforts to vote

Shouldn't this be in the Historical Junior Corps Forum?

I actually think it a relevant considering the alumni did perform in Indy this year. But I see your point.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For ten years, the only drum corps season I knew well was 1989, and that only in audio terms, because I found the Finals* CD in a second-hand shop in Dayton in the summer of 1991. I wouldn't have known how to purchase anything else, in those pre-internet days when I saw at most one local show each season. 1989 was also the first year I ever saw a drum corps show, though only two moments stuck with me so that I recognized them when I finally saw the video, a decade later (one each from the Cadets' and Bluecoats' performances). For me, 1989 is the essence of drum corps. (I can hum practically the whole of every finalist performance from memory, from the Crossmen with "The Waltz" --I can hear the contra part in my mind as I type this!-- to Vanguard with "Masquerade".) To me, everything older seems a little stale; everything newer seems a little decadent.

So try as I might, I can't bring myself to like Star's four top-three shows from the 1990s as much as 1989 -- which is not just Walton's themes from Henry V! There's also Holst's "Song Without Words" and "Fantasia on the Dargason" and Walton's "Crown Imperial". And it's all delivered with such splendor and stately power! (Plus the video has one of the best close-up moments in all the drum corps recordings I've seen -- is she winking at the camera or at the drum major?) I can appreciate that the next few years are more technically proficient, but they do less for me. I've never liked the frenetic Zingali drill, like little strings twisting randomly around on the ground --though the last part of Star 1990 is amazing to watch-- as much as the more geometric work that the Cavaliers were presenting even then. Nor do I much care for Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, though for years I blamed that on Star rather than the original composition, which I didn't know (I like David Bratman's funny supposition, that Walton himself may have come to repudiate the oratorio, even if it can't be proven). Such an abrasive work, and I feel the same way about "Roman Images", though there I knew the Respighi originals and find his gentleness missing from Star's treatment. Also I'd heard of the disappearing and reappearing cross long before I watched the 1991 show, and found that effect it to be less magical than what I had imagined. Maybe it looks more impressive from a lower angle? Anyway, Madison's cross-and-star in 1999 impress me more. As to the 1992 show, the only one I saw live and enjoyed very much, in retrospect the thematic elements seem so heavily presented. Finally, I only watched Star's 1993 performance for the first time last season, and the first thing that struck me was that "Medea" was my least favorite part of "Blast!", but on second and subsequent viewings, "Bartok & Barber" has really impressed me. My second favorite Star offering. These 1993 viewings may have made it easier for me to enjoy what Santa Clara was doing this year. (Listening to a couple orchestral performances of "Concerto for Orchestra" also helped. It's a very accessible piece very much in the mainstream. I have yet to listen to the other Bartok work in its original setting.)

I never saw "Brass Theater", but much of "Blast!" was quite enjoyable -- I even wrote a letter to the local theater critic complaining about his uncomprehending review. A poor piece of criticism (e.g., he seemed to believe that "Appalachian Spring" was written with nothing louder than mezzo-piano), and yet not entirely off the mark in his dislikes: the stage is too confined a space to convey drum corps properly.

*though with at least one famous substitution.

Shouldn't this be in the Historical Junior Corps Forum?

The Historical forum is described as being for shows before 1989. Star more shows 1989-1993 than 1985-1988, and all of its medalist years, plus "Blast!", fall into the later period.

1990 is my FAVORITE drum corp show EVER. Inncredible music.

OK so after reading the description of the Historical Thread I see it's for topics from 1989 or before so I answered my own question.

Edited by SFZFAN

Hello all.First post.Long time DCI fan.I have always loved Stars 1989 show.First saw it in Birmingham,Alabama when I was in high school.Truly underrated in my opinion especially the drumline who won field drums in semifinals that year.Use to have the drum judge tape from that show.Still think other drumlines have been better than star 93.They were beat by cavs a few times that summer and scv did win high field drums in semis that year as well.Never really cared for the 87 show.

FYI The Circus Show was called the "Greatest Show On Turf". I think it was a toss up between 87 or 93 as my favorite Star show even though I accidentally hit Porgy and Bess on my vote.

Still think other drumlines have been better than star 93.They were beat by cavs a few times that summer and scv did win high field drums in semis that year as well.

There have been drumlines that have played more notes than Star. But that wasn't the point of that drumline. It was quality of sound. It was the musicality. They played every single note with quality. They didn't rush the right diddles and speed up the left in paradiddles. Accents and taps were given equal respect. It was just an amazing display of quality and sound which I don't think has been rivaled since. And it was ridiculously clean.

SCV was a train wreck at the beginning of the season. I know, I saw them beginning of tour and had marched with Tyler Dempsey the year before in 'Coats. And yes, SCV pulled it together at the end. But if you're relying strictly on scores to measure the quality of Star's line that year, then I think you're completely missing the point.

Edited by atlvalet

1993, followed closely by 1990 (holy hornline!!!)

I don't really have a least-favorite Star show, though I hardly if ever listen to the Disney or circus shows. It took me a long time to get into the 1992 show because I don't usually care for patriotic stuff.