Pioneer

Not true, Pioneer was top 25 in the 70's (back when there were many more than 25 Open Class corps) Was that called DCI Associate?

Pioneer is successful at what they do. They need nothing more than tweaking and to attract more and talented kids. There are very few corps that can mount the sustained financial and logistical effort it takes to run a top 12 corps, and every year that becomes less. Pioneer lives within its means, and subscribes to their own unique ethic and philosophy. They clearly want to become a top 12 corps some day and moving down to Open would permanently cement their status as a stepping stone destination.

Some day I believe all these necessary things are going to fall ito place and maybe they pick up a great corporate sponsor and things change for them. The idea that Roman needs to be gone or different than he is is ridiculous because without him there would be no Pioneer. If possible I would take a dozen more corps just like Pioneer rather than see them change to what some people thing they should be.

Interesting perspective...except for one thing. At 69 years of age, Roman may no longer be that permanent fixture with Pioneer. Insurance actuaries would back this claim.

So, tweaking huh? That's it? Interesting perspective.

My biggest concern is for the Pioneer Corps Members who are reading all of this.

There is a lot of negativity concerning the corps, staff, and management being thrown out on this site.

How does that benefit these young members who have worked so many hours to make their corps better?

Where is the encouragement to these kids to hang in there and help their Pioneer Corps become Better Every Day?

Retention of our members is not helped by stereotyping them as being in a "training corps."

Pioneer Members, "You have every right to be proud of, and not ashamed of, your Pioneer Corps." You should be proud that your performances were worthy of several standing ovations given by the many audiences that you entertained. Other corps that were higher up the competitive ladder did not receive nearly the applause that you did. Let it be known that you were all important and vital members of the Pioneer Corps Family, and not just numbers to fill out the ranks!

The awesome music that you played was arranged by Donny Allen. Be proud of that! He gave that show his all! Your percussion music was written by Adam Hill. No one worked harder than he did to make this show sell to the crowd! Be proud of David Crook who did so very much in developing your guard and its design. Be proud that you had Jeff Wroblewski design your visual show. As we all know, he is among the best drill writers around. Add to that Chad Quamme and his visual staff who spent all of those hours with you teaching and refining the drill. Yes you had an excellent staff.

Is there room for improvement? Of course there is!

Are there steps being taken to accomplish improvement? Yes there are.

Is it worth the effort? Proud Pioneer Family, you know it is!

Bashing the corps, criticizing the show's theme, scrutinizing the corps' traditions, etc. are definitely counterproductive and sometimes reflect the forgetfulness of the purpose of drum corps, "ITS MEMBERS." They deserve the best we can give them. It is my hope that with all of your support we can continue to do that.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. You can email your ideas directly to us at: dbcpmilw@execpc.com

You can also mail your ideas to: Pioneer Corps 4601 W. Holt Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53219

Or...you can even call me at: 414-327-2847 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              414-327-2847      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

To offer ideas is one thing. To help implement those ideas is ideal!

BETTER EVERY DAY!

Yeah, I never bought into the whole "training corps" idea. Pioneer is what Pioneer is. They are always better in their last show than they were in their first show of every season.

I also think too many people give DCP too much credit and too much blame. Frankly, we are not that important to drum corps members, staff, alumni. We are folks with a passionate interest and we love discussing this activity. That's who we are.

As far as negativity....guilty. So, don't listen. People don't have to hang out here and read this.

As far as suggestions for the corps, they would all require more capital than is most likely available for the corps at present. So let me just say this.

Proud alums of Pioneer...pay attention. Your corps could be doing a heck of a lot better. It's not the kids fault of the staff's fault or Roman's fault. It's just the way it is.

The corps needs you. Blue Stars and Madison are your models. Take back your corps and be proud that the current corps represents you. You are the history of Pioneer and it's time you stepped up with your support in a bigger way.

Alumni can support in the following ways...

Support a section of the corps with scholarships to help offset tuition for new members.

Volunteer.

Underwrite the yearly rental of charter coach buses, semis and other needed vehicles.

Tell young people about the corps. Yes, you can recruit for this corps and help fill in the holes.

Donate to help purchase new uniforms.

Feed the kids for a day.

Get involved.

How's those for starters, Murray?

Both Blue Stars...(remember when they were Div. III not so long ago?) and Madison have transformed their organizations recently...the alumni have been instrumental in this change. Look at what Troopers did to remake their image. It can be done. Will Pioneer be the next to pull this off?

Support a section of the corps with scholarships to help offset tuition for new members.

Volunteer.

Underwrite the yearly rental of charter coach buses, semis and other needed vehicles.

Tell young people about the corps. Yes, you can recruit for this corps and help fill in the holes.

Feed the kids for a day.

Get involved.

At the least, pay unpaid dues. Come on.

My biggest concern is for the Pioneer Corps Members who are reading all of this.

There is a lot of negativity concerning the corps, staff, and management being thrown out on this site.

How does that benefit these young members who have worked so many hours to make their corps better?

Where is the encouragement to these kids to hang in there and help their Pioneer Corps become Better Every Day?

Retention of our members is not helped by stereotyping them as being in a "training corps."

Pioneer Members, "You have every right to be proud of, and not ashamed of, your Pioneer Corps." You should be proud that your performances were worthy of several standing ovations given by the many audiences that you entertained. Other corps that were higher up the competitive ladder did not receive nearly the applause that you did. Let it be known that you were all important and vital members of the Pioneer Corps Family, and not just numbers to fill out the ranks!

The awesome music that you played was arranged by Donny Allen. Be proud of that! He gave that show his all! Your percussion music was written by Adam Hill. No one worked harder than he did to make this show sell to the crowd! Be proud of David Crook who did so very much in developing your guard and its design. Be proud that you had Jeff Wroblewski design your visual show. As we all know, he is among the best drill writers around. Add to that Chad Quamme and his visual staff who spent all of those hours with you teaching and refining the drill. Yes you had an excellent staff.

Bashing the corps, criticizing the show's theme, scrutinizing the corps' traditions, etc. are definitely counterproductive and sometimes reflect the forgetfulness of the purpose of drum corps, "ITS MEMBERS." They deserve the best we can give them. It is my hope that with all of your support we can continue to do that.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. You can email your ideas directly to us at: dbcpmilw@execpc.com

You can also mail your ideas to: Pioneer Corps 4601 W. Holt Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53219

Or...you can even call me at: 414-327-2847

BETTER EVERY DAY!

I don't think there's that much negativity but constructive criticism. Though I've been skimming a lot of the posts, especially the ones about Roman so I probably haven't gotten the full effect. I've spent many nights, even when I was a marching member trying to figure out what was going wrong. I don't think the members are under the impression that there's nothing wrong. And at the same time, it never really bothered me as long as I was doing my best to get Better Every Day! I'm sure many of the members feel the same.

Yeah, I never bought into the whole "training corps" idea. Pioneer is what Pioneer is. They are always better in their last show than they were in their first show of every season.

I also think too many people give DCP too much credit and too much blame. Frankly, we are not that important to drum corps members, staff, alumni. We are folks with a passionate interest and we love discussing this activity. That's who we are.

As far as negativity....guilty. So, don't listen. People don't have to hang out here and read this.

As far as suggestions for the corps, they would all require more capital than is most likely available for the corps at present. So let me just say this.

Proud alums of Pioneer...pay attention. Your corps could be doing a heck of a lot better. It's not the kids fault of the staff's fault or Roman's fault. It's just the way it is.

The corps needs you. Blue Stars and Madison are your models. Take back your corps and be proud that the current corps represents you. You are the history of Pioneer and it's time you stepped up with your support in a bigger way.

Volunteer.

Feed the kids for a day.

Get involved.

Both Blue Stars...(remember when they were Div. III not so long ago?) and Madison have transformed their organizations recently...the alumni have been instrumental in this change. Look at what Troopers did to remake their image. It can be done. Will Pioneer be the next to pull this off?

Thanks Tom for the Alumni ideas.

We should have 50 years worth of them and hopefully some would be willing to help make it a reality for some young person to experience what they did.

I remember the PRC / Legion days and if I remember right you had a lot to do with their image and success.

Maybe it's time for you to come back and help another corps :-)

Or...you can even call me at: 414-327-2847

BETTER EVERY DAY!

Well put!

Geez! I did not mean to start a hot topic that would get some so riled up one way or another.

I really think that there are some good ideas. Now, it is to just share them with care to the right people. Who knows, maybe assist with them, as well.

Will any corps be perfect? No.

Will there always be issues to deal with? Sure.

Would Pioneer be better if Hoppy took over? The world may never know. :tongue:

I do appreciate all of the input though from everyone.

I am curious why it seems like everyone, myself included, has an opinion about Pioneer, but not about Open Class. Maybe you do?

So, what about corps in OC that struggle (for lack of a better term) also like, sorry Ripper, Blue Saints?

What or how should they change things up? I know that they are in a remote area and have limited resources too

for one, I don't see Open Class being a way to better the corps. that cuts out a lot of money the corps makes now

Thanks Tom for the Alumni ideas.

We should have 50 years worth of them and hopefully some would be willing to help make it a reality for some young person to experience what they did.

I remember the PRC / Legion days and if I remember right you had a lot to do with their image and success.

Maybe it's time for you to come back and help another corps :-)

All the way from Arizona, huh Murray?

I have a corps here in Tempe and I support them. I think they cringe sometimes that I spend time on DCP, but, heck...I'm passionate about this thing called drum corps.

I just have those memories of Pioneer dominating Div. II back in the day and I really don't see any reason why the fortunes couldn't be better. ALUMNI ---- It begins with your involvement. That's how Troopers, Madison and Blue Stars reinvented themselves. It started with involvement and contributions from their alumni.

So, get to it out there. There have to be 50 years worth of alumni all over the globe. Let's say that adds up to 4,000 people. If they could average $50 each for the next two years that would go a long way to restoring the Pioneer swagger.

Tom,

is it possible alumni love is what it is because so many went on to other corps later on in their marching careers?