Pioneer

Not true, Pioneer was top 25 in the 70's (back when there were many more than 25 Open Class corps) Was that called DCI Associate?

Yes, I do remember DCI Associate corps. And I would love for that era or heyday of drum corps to still be around. I also recall the days of A/A-60, Div II and III, and other Division I corps just trying to capture that 25th spot as it meant that you were in and considered one of the big boys. The drastic decline of corps from all levels has diminished the importance and prestige of that last spot in the old top 25, now 23 if I'm correct in saying. There are no longer corps fighting for that last spot and now whoever is sitting in that spot is considered a doormat, stepping stone corps, etc, etc, etc. There shouldn't be anything wrong with a corps being in that spot; however, when the organization is there year-after-year-after-year-after-year, that's when people start to criticize and make various commentary be it constructive, sarcastic, destructive, point blank, insightful, etc.

for one, I don't see Open Class being a way to better the corps. that cuts out a lot of money the corps makes now

Which brings up another interesting quandary. Is it better to be the last place WC corps or the first place OC corps?

Which brings up another interesting quandary. Is it better to be the last place WC corps or the first place OC corps?

Who says they'd make 1st in Open Class?

All the way from Arizona, huh Murray?

I have a corps here in Tempe and I support them. I think they cringe sometimes that I spend time on DCP, but, heck...I'm passionate about this thing called drum corps.

I just have those memories of Pioneer dominating Div. II back in the day and I really don't see any reason why the fortunes couldn't be better. ALUMNI ---- It begins with your involvement. That's how Troopers, Madison and Blue Stars reinvented themselves. It started with involvement and contributions from their alumni.

So, get to it out there. There have to be 50 years worth of alumni all over the globe. Let's say that adds up to 4,000 people. If they could average $50 each for the next two years that would go a long way to restoring the Pioneer swagger.

That isn't 100% accurate Tom. There has been great alumni support, but in reality Blue Stars alumni started coming out of the woodwork in support of the corps just AFTER management changes occurred that began to excite and create a buzz that things were heading in a new direction. This excitement was followed by results the corps hadn't seen in years from a recruiting standpoint, and from that point the snowball was rolling. Sure there have been bedrock alumni supporters for years, but wouldn't say Blue Stars alumni involvement was the catalyst that turned things around.

I would say it depends. For BDB or SCVC I believe it's better to be in open since they already have a solid financial backbone and they can call on their history of success in OC for membership, plus the name recognition of being associated with the A corps. I think most other corps in OC strive to make WC as soon as they feel its viable in order to get more money. I believe Blue Stars and Teal were both 4th place finishers in OC when they decided to make the move.

Who says they'd make 1st in Open Class?

Not saying they would have this year, just in general which is more desirable. I certainly know what I think, and (I know this is shocking) I'll share it with you :tongue:

All three years I marched Colts we were Div 1, never last, but the highest we placed I believe was 18th in 88. These were wonderful memorable drum corps years and I have not a single regret marching under the excellent direction of Greg Orwoll those years. My last year marching was with Blue Stars in 93 (took 91 and 92 off). We fielded a very small corps, something like 16 brass, hand full of guard and a decent sized drumline compared to the size of the corps. If my recollection is correct one of the judges suggested we fold the corps after the first performance (staff didn't pull any punches with their arrangements of Candide and we were green green green). We began the season SEVERAL points behind our competition, and what that corps overcame to win div 3 that year was nothing short of astonishing. As much as I enjoyed my years at Colts, I would have given them all up for my one year at Blue Stars. So, from my experience and coming from the perspective of the marching member, I would have to say being 1st in OC would be more fulfilling than last in WC. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by BozzlyB

Tom,

is it possible alumni love is what it is because so many went on to other corps later on in their marching careers?

Yeah. I mentioned this a while back in this thread. I see some of that with all corps outside the top 12...they are in some cases "stepping stones" to better corps.

That isn't 100% accurate Tom. There has been great alumni support, but in reality Blue Stars alumni started coming out of the woodwork in support of the corps just AFTER management changes occurred that began to excite and create a buzz that things were heading in a new direction. This excitement was followed by results the corps hadn't seen in years from a recruiting standpoint, and from that point the snowball was rolling. Sure there have been bedrock alumni supporters for years, but wouldn't say Blue Stars alumni involvement was the catalyst that turned things around.

Fair comments.

I appreciate everyone's input and am happy to see so many people on DCP who want Pioneer to succeed.

On the subject of alumni, we are taking great strides to strengthen our alumni base. In preparation for our 50th anniversary season, we are actively working to locate & build a current list of alumni who have marched with the corps over the past 49 seasons. There have been several alumni meetings in which we've sat down and discussed some of the ways that the over 1,000 alumni can be of service to the corps. There are a lot of ideas being tossed around, including some that Tom already mentioned.

If you marched with Pioneer, Thunderbolts, Imperials of St. Patricks, or The Thing... we'd like you to stop by out Pioneer Alumni Website and provide us with your current information so we can keep you up to date with our 50th Anniversary plans as well as ideas on how you can support the corps!

it';s better financially