Pioneer

You make me laugh. Neal Smith is consitered one of DCI's best visual caption heads. North Star in 1980 marched one of the cleanest shows that DCI has ever seen.[ Plus they had one of the best if not the best DCI drumlines ever {from 78-81}]

really? What did North Star place in 1980?

11th place

11th place

right. so Mikey just killed his own argument.

hey Pio...keep working hard. At shows I go to, I'll be inside to see you

• Like 1

In Marching and Maneuvering Execution, (what marching performance was called back then), North Star received 9.0 (out of a possible 15.0) from Judge #1 (11th place) and 9.7 from Judge #2 (tie for 10th place).

Since drums also came up for the period of 1979 through 1981; in 1979 the average of the two Drum Execution scores plus Percussion Analysis was 18.5 out of 20.0. The drums tied on the sheet of Execution Judge #1 for the top score with Santa Clara Vanguard, tied on the sheet of Execution Judge #2 for the top score with SCV and Phantom Regiment, and was 3rd in Percussion Analysis for a total drum score that was 0.2 behind SCV. In 1980, the line was 9th in Total Drumming. I don't have the placements for 1981 because the corps was 13th in Prelims and I only have recaps for Finals.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

You make me laugh. Neal Smith is consitered one of DCI's best visual caption heads. North Star in 1980 marched one of the cleanest shows that DCI has ever seen.[ Plus they had one of the best if not the best DCI drumlines ever {from 78-81}]

I love that Corps, Classic! At least we can agree on something. One of the best Drum and Bugle Corps ever.

• Like 1

I love that Corps, Classic! At least we can agree on something. One of the best Drum and Bugle Corps ever.

I'd watch that North Star Corps any day of the week..." Sir Duke"..." Masquerade".... Star Wars Theme "....." Ole "... etc... great percussion and guard.... outstanding soloists... etc. Fun Corps. 'Didn't matter to me where the judges put them for performance and execution. That's in their domain. I can't go there. The entertainment "value and enjoyment " quotient is in my domain. The judges can't go there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

700 plus replies, 44,000 views. Wow! You all need to figure out how to jump all over this great out pouring of love towards The PIONEER! This is special, and I want nothing more than to see you all do great this season, soooooo.....

I am sending a check for $100 in hopes that others follow. Its not much, but I hope it helps. Who else wants to see if we can make difference, lets see this Drum & Bugle Corps move up together.

GO PIONEER!

700 plus replies, 44,000 views. Wow! You all need to figure out how to jump all over this great out pouring of love towards The PIONEER! This is special, and I want nothing more than to see you all do great this season, soooooo.....

I am sending a check for $100 in hopes that others follow. Its not much, but I hope it helps. Who else wants to see if we can make difference, lets see this Drum & Bugle Corps move up together.

GO PIONEER!

Well said. This is the most positive good news thread on DCP right now in my opinion. The fact that the Pioneer Drum Corps has over 40,000 views... and counting... is as good as it gets, imo.