Synthesized Woodwind Sounds

Just trying to clear something up about woodwind sounds in drum corps. Am I correct in stating that they are allowed in that a synth patch can be used for a flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc.? Or is there a stipulation in the rules that prevents such patches? If they are allowed, it's telling that to the best of my knowledge no corps has used them; if they're not, it's interesting in the sense that string, brass, and electric guitar patches are allowed.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to clear something up about woodwind sounds in drum corps. Am I correct in stating that they are allowed in that a synth patch can be used for a flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc.? Or is there a stipulation in the rules that prevents such patches? If they are allowed, it's telling that to the best of my knowledge no corps has used them; if they're not, it's interesting in the sense that string, brass, and electric guitar patches are allowed.

I thougt I heard woodwind patches this year. In the Cadets show. Perhaps the mellophone solo in the Bluecoats show that sounds more like a sax. There were probably more.

many, many, many string patches this season were offensive.

Yeah, I find that is true due to the fact they were too balanced towards the treble side. Maybe it was the speakers, but they did sound far too synthesized during the live performance. My guess is the sound sounds fine through headphones, but the speakers are just not balanced the same.

Yeah, I find that is true due to the fact they were too balanced towards the treble side. Maybe it was the speakers, but they did sound far too synthesized during the live performance. My guess is the sound sounds fine through headphones, but the speakers are just not balanced the same.

That and it's very easy to tell that it's fake. Feels cheap...not a common feeling for musical elements in drum corps shows.

That and it's very easy to tell that it's fake. Feels cheap...not a common feeling for musical elements in drum corps shows.

I would bet cash that you can't tell the difference from a well-sampled woodwind patch and the real thing, IF both sounds were run through the same audio system. What makes it fake to you is probably the fact that it is coming through speakers, however the sample itself, when EQ'd well, IS the real thing. Mic up a flute and a synth sample, put them in another room so you can't see it, and I'll bet you could never tell.

True with a flute, perhaps, but not with a saxophone.

I would bet cash that you can't tell the difference from a well-sampled woodwind patch and the real thing, IF both sounds were run through the same audio system. What makes it fake to you is probably the fact that it is coming through speakers, however the sample itself, when EQ'd well, IS the real thing. Mic up a flute and a synth sample, put them in another room so you can't see it, and I'll bet you could never tell.

Yeah, a lot of it does have to do with the speakers (which is why to my ears an amplified marimba sounds "fake" as well), but I'm talking specifically about the string synth patches that I heard. Yikes.