Indianapolis Attendance

You gotta love ticketscammer. Maybe attendance would go up if they were gone and people could hand pick their seat and not pay a convience charge for the convience of dealing with a computer picking your seat. I am sorry, I forgot, all technology is good technology and everybody benefits from it, right Mike....

I didn't say that, but if a stadium has a contract with a certain ticketing organization, DCI has to use that organization if it wants to use that stadium. In addition, each year, more and more universities are using outside ticketing organizations for their events as well.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, figure skaters who ascended to the top of their game turned pro, but more recently, pros were allowed to come back and compete in the Winter Olympics, (something that was unofficially referred to as the Boitano Rule, as Brian was the one who really pushed for it). The logic was the Olympic events in which professionals already could compete, such as tennis.

In an article I wrote for the former American Skating World in 1992, I wrote, "Speaking of which—How much pressure does it add to the psyche when winning can mean becoming a millionaire while most other skaters have little more to look forward to than dressing up as Daffy Duck?"

I'm still thinking about the parallels.

Figure skaters HAVE to compete and do well in amateur events to qualify for the Olympic Team.

It's VERY difficult for most of them because as "Professionals," they don't have to be as solid in fundamental skating (spins, jumps, edge changes, etc). Even those who take time off from the amateur circuit and then spend a year or more on hardcore training to be ready for the Olympics don't always make the team....Sasha Cohen this past year was a good example.

bunches of comps, kids with wristbands, sponsors etc..I'd day paid attendance, the number that counts was closer to the 15000 range.

So...in other words...somewhere between Jackson and Dallas, eh?

Here is a different take on why there might be so few people attending DCI Finals in recent years:

If you live in TX, LA, or NM and can see 'all' of the WC corps in San Antonio, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, or FL and you can see 'all' of the WC corps in Atlanta, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northeast and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Allentown, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northern middle States, and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Minneapolis, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

I thought this thread was about Finals attendance, Stu. That was a killer argument for regional touring, though. :thumbup::thumbup:

I didn't say that, but if a stadium has a contract with a certain ticketing organization, DCI has to use that organization if it wants to use that stadium. In addition, each year, more and more universities are using outside ticketing organizations for their events as well.

Ticketmaster has a near monopoly. until Congress slams them, they will continue to suck and gouge for fees

Here is a different take on why there might be so few people attending DCI Finals in recent years:

If you live in TX, LA, or NM and can see 'all' of the WC corps in San Antonio, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, or FL and you can see 'all' of the WC corps in Atlanta, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northeast and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Allentown, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northern middle States, and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Minneapolis, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

Exactly right! A friend and I traveled to ATL by plane, stayed in a nice hotel and saw the DCI Southeast show (23 corps) with 50 YD line seats about half way up for less than it would cost to drive to Indy and see only 12 corps. DCI SE was only about 2 weeks from finals and just a few points from their final scores. We have a great time. The only thing that we felt that wee missed by going to ATL was the excitment of "finals". We got over that quickly.

$55 in ATL or $125 in Indy. You do the math

Exactly right! A friend and I traveled to ATL by plane, stayed in a nice hotel and saw the DCI Southeast show (23 corps) with 50 YD line seats about half way up for less than it would cost to drive to Indy and see only 12 corps. DCI SE was only about 2 weeks from finals and just a few points from their final scores. We have a great time. The only thing that we felt that we missed by going to ATL was the excitment of "finals". We got over that quickly.

$55 in ATL or $125 in Indy. You do the math

This is a viable factor as to possibly why DCI ticket sales at Finals are down in recent years compared to back in the years when all of the corps never met in one place until finals week. Also, this can explain how even though ticket revenue is down for Finals, ticket revenue as a whole can be up.

Wrong Mike Mike.... :thumbup:

Wrong Mike Mike.... :thumbup:

I've got such a guilty conscious I'd think you were referring to me even if you addressed the salutation to "Bob." :tongue:

Historically, figure skaters who ascended to the top of their game turned pro, but more recently, pros were allowed to come back and compete in the Winter Olympics, (something that was unofficially referred to as the Boitano Rule, as Brian was the one who really pushed for it). The logic was the Olympic events in which professionals already could compete, such as tennis.

In an article I wrote for the former American Skating World in 1992, I wrote, "Speaking of which—How much pressure does it add to the psyche when winning can mean becoming a millionaire while most other skaters have little more to look forward to than dressing up as Daffy Duck?"

I'm still thinking about the parallels.

How sad. Brian Boitano was on fire from 1988 up until the 1994 Mens short program. He didnt fall once in those six years......until the short program.........The "sure thing" didnt even medal.......sigh

G

Edited by GMichael1230