Loudest Single Chord of 2010

You probably caught some air blowing out of that amp from all that synth bass.

From what I've heard, the brass staff at Crown won't let the synth overpower the brass.

I don't mind a little "bottom end" as long as it doesn't color the brass sound.

Loudest: What I measured at Quarterfinals this year, it looks like Crown, Cadets, and Blue Knights were the loudest, with BD, Cavies, Phantom, Madison, Glassmen, The Academy, and Spirit close behind. There were, of course, too many variables to say this was a totally accurate scientific measurement. If I recall correctly, the top three were measured during a sustained chord.

I only got to see one live show this year thanks to the Minneapolis rain out, but of the corps in La Crosse Crown clearly won the volume trophy. Unfortunately that was all that impressed me about their show.

There were points in Boston's show where I thought they may have had the loudest hornline of the year.

The huge sustain/suspension/resolve chord in their ballad was LOUD! I wasn't on my 50-yard line for that one (went to the bathroom, had seen the show a bunch of times already) and was still blown away. Of course, it helped that they were in a 10-yard diameter cluster.

I only got to see one live show this year thanks to the Minneapolis rain out, but of the corps in La Crosse Crown clearly won the volume trophy. Unfortunately that was all that impressed me about their show.

I loved Crown's volume until they forgot they were playing on the brass instruments instead of silver and overblew.

There were points in Boston's show where I thought they may have had the loudest hornline of the year.

This. I wasn't at Finals week, but at the shows I saw, Boston was definitely the loudest. Particularly the suspend-resolve blast with the brass all packed into a circle in the ballad, but there were other moments as well. Crown was a close second loudness wise, though they were better in tune.

I only saw one show live. Madison was the loudest in Houston (Friday Night). No contest. Honorable mention to Boston.

Edited by SFZFAN

About 2:15 into Bluecoats show there is a horn hit that is LOUD and then again at 3:00 :tongue:

Some real quality in their playing - loved their hornline this year (especially in the ballad).

Not sure about their placement of 5th in the "mus" brass category. Nevermind.

Crown's preshow chord, no doubt. First time I heard that, I was sitting next to a crown alum, and he almost fainted on me.