New arranger coming to the Crossmen!

For me, the problem with the arrangements is they were too choppy. The source music was great music. Trying to force (or recompose) the pieces by splicing random lines from one work onto another work just doesn't work.

For example, using this year's show, First Circle, Minuano, and Letter From Home are all great pieces. However, instead of splicing these (and bits of other Metheny pieces), for me, the show would have worked much better had they simply played the tune. Each composer/arranger develops their own style, and this type of thing is one of the things Guidry has done with Ronald Reagan HS, Broken Arrow HS, and now Crossmen. Has it been successful? With bands ,yes, with Crossmen, not so much. It's not an arranging tactic I care for, but that's just personal preference (some people may love that type of thing).

And.... keeping it real, there is another unnamed arranger on the left coast who at times does the same thing (chop-chop-chop). This "unnamed" arranger has had unarguable success as his style has evolved over the decades...... but I still much prefer the earlier arrangements of this particular person since they actually "played the tune" instead of a few bars of it, followed by original variations of it.

Indeed, I'll admit, Guidry can write for a hornline. He knows how to use cool effects like having trumpets, baris, and contras perform a forte-piano while the mellos sing out a random melody. He knows how to end every major horn statement with a single full-length quarter note. He knows how to have the entire hornline crescendo a single chord for 30 seconds straight while the front ensemble takes over all musical interest. He knows how to write entire shows without utilizing slurs. He also knows how to write brass solo moments that a 5th grader could play, (then passes the nearly the same exact solo to two other capable musicians).

I'm sorry. Maybe Guidry's music does work for BOA band, but I haven't exactly seen any other drum corps clamoring for Mr. Guidry to arrange their music. You'd think that if his product was really all it's cracked up to be, a more successful corps would have noticed by now and asked him to consider teaming up with them.

Guidry has had success with other programs, and I can appreciate that. I wish him many more successes with high school programs. All I'm saying is that his arrangements have not shown themselves to be idiomatic of the Drum Corps genre.

Nonetheless, I wish the Crossmen success this year with a new arranger. I'm excited to see how things turn out in the coming weeks.

--A friend

I wish people involved with the Crossmen knew who you were. It would make my crusade of the past year seem less ridiculous and take some heat off of me. But they don't, so it's okay. I'm cool with them continuing to hate on me.

bc i was clearly the only recent member to complain about this. . .

Edited by liebot

...and bring back Thurston!

...and get rid of that ((bleepin')) snare drum tilt!

now i gotta listen to 90 again

I wish people involved with the Crossmen knew who you were. It would make my crusade of the past year seem less ridiculous and take some heat off of me. But they don't, so it's okay. I'm cool with them continuing to hate on me.

no you weren't. there were a few last year

Wow, this couldn't be further from the truth.

But the facts are in, so let's just be forward thinking. Be thankful for the efforts of the members and staff of the past 4 years. They've kept the Crossmen alive, and as long as the Crossmen are around, no drum corps is safe. Here's to 2011!

Brass line was very good by the end of the year in 2009. = Goldberg / Chez and team stays

I listened to the 2009 recording and that line could play , not given the proper vehicle or drill .

Percussion was the strongest caption. = Team stays = Ray Ulibarri and Tom McGillen with Michael McIntosh = :tongue: :tongue: :worthy:

Visual was a problemin 2009 , drill was too hard = Leon May = one of the best ,Crown , LD Bell , Avon =ALL SOLID PROGRAMS.

programing was Biggest problem = Chambers out . Michael McIntosh , Wes Cartwright and Jaime Alvarez-Calderon in = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guard will be headed up by Wes Cartwright = 3 WGI championships . 3 BOA guard championships , DCI championship ( SCV ) = :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Guidry =He is very creative , with imput from Mac / Chez / Goldberg / He could really hit his stride in 2010. The 2008 Planets show was very good.

team work = Wes Cartwright , Lean May , AaronGuidry , and Jaime Alvarez-Calderon all work together with numerous groups . lets see how this team gels for DCI.

It seems like instead of going after individuals the CROSSMEN have hired a team .

I hear recruiting is way up for 2010. This is a SOLID TEAM. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy::thumbup: :thumbup:

GO BONES !

Wow, this couldn't be further from the truth.

But the facts are in, so let's just be forward thinking. Be thankful for the efforts of the members and staff of the past 4 years. They've kept the Crossmen alive, and as long as the Crossmen are around, no drum corps is safe. Here's to 2011!

Yes, that was sarcasm. I bore the brunt of the criticism, however. Trust me, I did.

Edit: that old quote wasn't intentional, but it is amusing to see how much certain people were hyping the design team last year. . .

Edited by liebot

Tell 'em Hrothgar was on your side. :tongue:

• Like 1

Yes, that was sarcasm. I bore the brunt of the criticism, however. Trust me, I did.

Edit: that old quote wasn't intentional, but it is amusing to see how much certain people were hyping the design team last year. . .

actually I know one that still posts on here that got a TON of flack last year. it pretty much killed his chance to march his age out year there