New arranger coming to the Crossmen!

Too many people posting on DCP forum just like to whine and complain.

Epiphany of the century.

Don't really think it has that much bearing on this discussion though. People didn't like Guidry's arrangements. He is leaving. These people are not upset about the change.

Not that I didn't dislike the arrangements, it was more that they didn't strike me as doing anything to spark anything in terms of intellectual or emotional sparks like some others are capable of inspiring. there just wasn't anything there that really gave the corps a distinct flavor or character that really made them distinctive, and being distinctive can be a big help when you're trying to pick the corps out of the dog-pile trying to make finals. Kinda like eating a pop-tart for lunch break. I'd rather have somehting else, but I don't mind if that's the best thing in the vending machine. It'll do.

Edited by BigW

Epiphany of the century.

Don't really think it has that much bearing on this discussion though. People didn't like Guidry's arrangements. He is leaving. These people are not upset about the change.

and the arrangements did not lead to any success, making a periennial finalist into a consistent also ran

and the arrangements did not lead to any success, making a periennial finalist into a consistent also ran

The arrangements did not result in success (defined, presumably, as top 12), as did MANY other aspects of the corps.

The arrangements made a perennial finalist into a consistent also ran, as did MANY other aspects of the corps.

A brass arrangement alone an also ran does not make.

The arrangements did not result in success (defined, presumably, as top 12), as did MANY other aspects of the corps.

The arrangements made a perennial finalist into a consistent also ran, as did MANY other aspects of the corps.

A brass arrangement alone an also ran does not make.

It was part of the equation. I think the Director figured he could plug in what worked fantastically for Ronald Reagan and it'd work for the Crossmen. Not quite.

Except possibly last year, the Crossmen's arrangements have been for the thinking man or those who can closely follow musical theory and see how things interweave and what not.

What they need is to go back to what got the talent and scores back in 2000. In 1999, the brass line wasn't good, so they picked music in 2000 that had melodies and parts that frequently repeated itself, making it much easier to clean. Thus 2001 and 2002 happened.

I'll give Guidry one thing over every other arranger in DCI. He posts his his full computer generated playback (midi file?) online every year. He comes to DCP and puts links to his tracks. He breaks down his charts second by second. Top notch score fan treatment by this gentleman.

Thanks for fours years Mr. Guidry, continued success.

Complete MIDI of "Full Circle" is available for download HERE. Use the red pull-down menu labeled "Marching Band" located in the upper left to select "The Crossmen."

All four of my arrangements for The Crossmen, 2007 - 2010, can be downloaded.

Thank you for your commitment to our previous collaborations, and I am confident that our paths will cross again.

Official Press Release

Complete MIDI of "Full Circle" is available for download HERE. Use the red pull-down menu labeled "Marching Band" located in the upper left to select "The Crossmen."

Thank you for your commitment to our previous collaborations, and I am confident that our paths will cross again.

Official Press Release

Whether people loved or hated your arrangements, I don't think anyone really thought they were mediocre. It'll be interesting to see if Crossmen can bring someone in that can write a show that's not average in the same way that so many other shows in the 12-24 range are. I really hope they can rise above the rest and design a show that's both interesting and achievable, but it will be a challenge, and I look forward to seeing how they take it on.

I'm personally very sad to see this talented arranger leave the corps! I think the style and interest he brough to the Crossmen gave them a unique and exciting edge over others. :tongue:

Secondly, I know from experience that consistency in a design staff and administration is what makes the program strong. Change ISN'T always good...

As for let's bring back, (insert old arranger here): ____________________ . :thumbup:

Really!? No. Let's try something NEW, if we're gonna make a change, and let those from the past remain past!

Crossmen, keep pushing the envelope b/c we REALLY don't want to hear Count Bubba again....or Birdland.....or......yea you get the point! :hmmm:

Because Bones pushing the envelope of the new has done them so well in Texas thus far!

Last placement check, they've fallen successively with pretty much the same core [intentional usage] staff.

As for bringing back the old... gee, HMM - it really didn't seem to HURT Madison this year!!!

Official Press Release

good luck.