• Boston Crusaders 2005
    • Carolina Crown 2009
    • Carolina Crown 2010
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 1985

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still prefer the Crown version but SCV 84 is definitely second.

84 Vanguard, then tie between Crown 09 and Cadets 96. The sound from that Cadets 96 hornline is AMAZING, if you haven't given it a listen, whole show (tear included).

I challenge anyone who loves drum corps to watch the development of SCV's 1984 show, understand the way that the Tender Land comes out of the concert number (sop solo), and not consider that the best version. I can't listen to it without choking up. Royer had a sense of the dramatic pacing that made every note count. Having heard all three of the versions live and having watched them all tons of times on vid i can tell you Garfield 96 again reduced me to tears b/c i wasn't expecting it (i don't know why i didn't look at the program to see what they were playing) and it had already had such a profound effect on me from SCV - plus they played the *^% out of it.

Crown (whom I love) has, largely in part to Klesch's respect for the history of DCI, been very successful on this great run blending MAJOR iconic pieces from past shows into wonderful productions (Claire de Lune, Candide, 1812, One Hand One Heart, Sensamaya, Somewhere, Tender Land, Gloria, etc) sprinkling in exciting new wind band lit (Slalom) and Klesch's take on classics (Finis, Nimrod, etc.). It is very clear to me that Michael K. is as big a drum corps nut as I am but he has the enviable ability to weave all of his favorite historic moments into present shows - to the benefit of this current generation of drum corps kids. All that being said, his use of Tender Land was beautiful, powerful and reverent, but in my mind still NOT the moment that 1984 SCV created. Hardimons metered Rubato, the delayed tension and then THE company front (F, FF, FFF) and subsequent quiet ending were one of my favorite moments in all of Drum Corps (along with the Viet Nam wall/balloon release - what a GREAT year 1984 was! - WSS, LaFiesta, 1812, Cats, Suncoast, First year of the Cavaliers as we know them now (uniform, Campbell and Wind Ensemble Lit, and depth in the top 25 worthy of repeated listening on the records!).

I challenge anyone who loves drum corps to watch the development of SCV's 1984 show, understand the way that the Tender Land comes out of the concert number (sop solo), and not consider that the best version. I can't listen to it without choking up. Royer had a sense of the dramatic pacing that made every note count. Having heard all three of the versions live and having watched them all tons of times on vid i can tell you Garfield 96 again reduced me to tears b/c i wasn't expecting it (i don't know why i didn't look at the program to see what they were playing) and it had already had such a profound effect on me from SCV - plus they played the *^% out of it.

Crown (whom I love) has, largely in part to Klesch's respect for the history of DCI, been very successful on this great run blending MAJOR iconic pieces from past shows into wonderful productions (Claire de Lune, Candide, 1812, One Hand One Heart, Sensamaya, Somewhere, Tender Land, Gloria, etc) sprinkling in exciting new wind band lit (Slalom) and Klesch's take on classics (Finis, Nimrod, etc.). It is very clear to me that Michael K. is as big a drum corps nut as I am but he has the enviable ability to weave all of his favorite historic moments into present shows - to the benefit of this current generation of drum corps kids. All that being said, his use of Tender Land was beautiful, powerful and reverent, but in my mind still NOT the moment that 1984 SCV created. Hardimons metered Rubato, the delayed tension and then THE company front (F, FF, FFF) and subsequent quiet ending were one of my favorite moments in all of Drum Corps (along with the Viet Nam wall/balloon release - what a GREAT year 1984 was! - WSS, LaFiesta, 1812, Cats, Suncoast, First year of the Cavaliers as we know them now (uniform, Campbell and Wind Ensemble Lit, and depth in the top 25 worthy of repeated listening on the records!).

Great first post, ronlambplays. I'm glad you felt inspired enough to join the discussion, and I look forward to more posts from you!

I, too, liked Cadets 96, which was very difficult, since I was "supposed" and "expected" to hate it. That's one of my fondest contra lines of 1996. Their book had all of the moving eighth notes that SCV 84 did not. But you're right...the sum total of 84 SCV is undeniable, one of the best company fronts of all time, with its obliqueness, starting far away, coming forward for what seems an eternity.

I'll give one nod to SCV 85: They had the nerve to put in the High Bb for the french horns! 16th partial, baby!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1984 Vanguard by light years. I totally agree w/ ronlambplays & Bruckner8. Gordon Henderson's arrangement was a complete production, and brilliantly written. Arguably the most masterfully dramatic build of brass sound in DCI history. I was in row 1 on the 50 in Denver and I will NEVER forget how completely devastating that company front was. I was so emotionally drained after the soft ending, I could have seriously considered seeking professional counseling to deal w/ the emotional aftermath! Absolutely deadly hornline (and drumline) performance. If there are any flaws in the recorded sound quality, they are technical recording issues and not performance issues. The others were good productions that I enjoyed. But to me, it's like the old SNL Jeopardy parody w/ Steve Martin. The contestants are Bob, Sue, and God. God's score is 10 million dollars compared w/ zero for Bob and Sue. So Steve says "It looks like Bob and Sue have a little catching up to do." So do Crown and Cadets.