166 members have voted

1. 1. Promise of Living

• Santa Clara Vanguard 1984
    • The Cadets 1996
    • Boston Crusaders 2005
    • Carolina Crown 2009
    • Carolina Crown 2010
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 1985

I still like Crown's 2009 version--gotta be that brass sound!

I heard them rehearse at IU that year before quarterfinals and after the last chord, all the bleachers in the stadium rang. Beautiful!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta Symphony with Robert Shaw or Boston Symphony with Seiji Ozawa and Tanglewood Festival Chorus.

Atlanta Symphony with Robert Shaw or Boston Symphony with Seiji Ozawa and Tanglewood Festival Chorus.

Great first post, ronlambplays. I'm glad you felt inspired enough to join the discussion, and I look forward to more posts from you!

I, too, liked Cadets 96, which was very difficult, since I was "supposed" and "expected" to hate it. That's one of my fondest contra lines of 1996. Their book had all of the moving eighth notes that SCV 84 did not. But you're right...the sum total of 84 SCV is undeniable, one of the best company fronts of all time, with its obliqueness, starting far away, coming forward for what seems an eternity.

I'll give one nod to SCV 85: They had the nerve to put in the High Bb for the french horns! 16th partial, baby!

Thanks for the acknowledgement - long time DCP reader, first time writer. I am happy to be part of the discussions and hope to engage in the future!

As someone who performed TPOL for two of the years listed, I was disappointed when we were told we'd be repeating the piece in '85. I didn't care for the drill nearly as much in '85 (a rotating box? c'mon!) even though a skinny lead bari (yours truly) got some camera close up time with a Madison vet named Vince Noble. We then tried to tag on a high velocity version of The Red Pony afterward that was great on speed, but fell woefully short on design; that was our opportunity to get uber-crazy drill wise and we simply inverted an arc. I still can't believe we took High Visual outright that night with a version of TPOL that had (IMO) none of the OMG magic factor from the prior year. Frankly, aside from the rip roaring opener and the pants change, overall I didn't much care for our program that year and didn't enjoy aging out with it ('87 was a great way to go, though!) Which is why...

...'84 is the better version for me. The entire bari section played the low register "For many years I've known this field / and all the work that makes her yield"

passage while backing into the blind set that eventually became the company front. Also, having essentially given the championship away the previous night in the Semifinals debacle in which we were late to the starting line (GR nearly had a stroke he was so angry), absolutely sucked for the next 12 minutes and took 4th for the first time all year, we were really jacked on Finals night with the white pants and white tunics, and Tim Salzman's pre-show speech in which he convinced us we would (not could, but WOULD) be the first corps in DCI history to jump from 4th to 1st in one night. With nothing to lose, we let it all hang out and that's what's on the DVD. The best part of the push for me was making direct eye contact with a fan a few rows up from the railing for several seconds just as the front changed direction at the 50; in those few seconds that man (late 50's, gray hair) just went to pieces and began bawling uncontrollably. That moment, and cradling SCV's first Jim Ott Trophy in my arms on the bus ride back to our housing site, are still my fondest memories of my marching years. Then I saw...

...Crown's '09 show at Q-Finals, and their rendition made me choke up for two reasons: the lushness, and the respect and reverence in which they played it; I also found myself asking, "Darn it, why couldn't we have done something like this in '85?"

Edited by SCV Biker

Santa Clara Vanguard 1984. Hands down, no other version is even close imho. :devil::smile::thumbup: My first view of that show was in Glenwood Springs that season. Got my face peeled off in the push and then let down so gently by the ppp ending. So beautiful and just haunting. Up close in that small stadium, the effect was magnified. Crowd was just in awe that night.

Edited by jimwolf359