166 members have voted

1. 1. Promise of Living

• Santa Clara Vanguard 1984
    • The Cadets 1996
    • Boston Crusaders 2005
    • Carolina Crown 2009
    • Carolina Crown 2010
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 1985

Promise of Living is a great great tune for drum corps, and looking back through corpsreps I was a little surprised to see it hadn't been performed more often. Personally, my vote goes for Crown 2009, which figured out a way to use it both for its great opener effect and closer effect in a single program. The final chord progression they added is just icing on the cake to make for a perfect ending.

Cadets 96 version is good, but it feels too fast, and the "drill" doesn't really work for me.

SCV's 84 version tops 85's just barely as my second favorite rendition, mainly because it comes at the very end of the show.

Boston 2005 kind of scuttled it by throwing in bits of Simple Gifts and Rodeo unnecessarily, and not really building to the climax.

Crown 2010 I wasn't even sure if I should stick that in since it's a carbon copy of 2009's ending, but just in case the lacquered brass sound blew you away or the lack of use of the intro struck you as better in some way, I guess.

So which is your favorite version and why?

Edited by skywhopper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a complete package standpoint (sound, performance, effect, etc.), I'd say it would have to be Crown 2009, almost hands down.

I voted for Crown 09, because of the effect they created using that piece. Tearing it apart and then rebuilding it at the end of the show. That was very cool, and very unique. Showing there are many new effects created within the drum corps realm, without changing so much of what drum corps is. It just takes creativity. Crown 09 had that with this design.

Obviously, many of you people don't know your history...there is SCV 84...and then there are the pretenders...

Truly....greatest...push...EVER!!

GOD. I wish someone had a picture of the pose at the end after the horns down.

And the OP needs to change the poll. "Tender Land" from SCV was 84 and 85.....83 was "Appalachian Spring."

84's still the best, tho.

tough cal...09 or 84. Both blow away all of the others