166 members have voted

1. 1. Promise of Living

• Santa Clara Vanguard 1984
    • The Cadets 1996
    • Boston Crusaders 2005
    • Carolina Crown 2009
    • Carolina Crown 2010
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 1985

Crown 2009. 84 is almost embarrassing to listen to. That piece is supposed to be lush and beautiful, not raped by horrid blaring brass with zero sense of tone quality.

I don't know what version YOU were listening to....that was NOT what I've been hearing for the last 26 years.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what version YOU were listening to....that was NOT what I've been hearing for the last 26 years.

Yeah, on the recordings, the blend is just not very good, but it always sounds different live. I'm sure it was powerful and emotional live, just a little overplayed on the recordings. Being born a year later, I obviously wasn't in Atlanta.

I suck for having an opinion. Whoops. Sorry. But seriously, I dont like the arrangement as much. For example, the big quarter note walk up to a high C in the horns is played in the pit, which I don't like... and it doesnt have much of it before the push... just little bits, and a way over tempo low brass thing... but yea, I just had to get that one out, my last opinion ever. I'm done.

I agree with you. To me that push SCV did in 84 was nice but Crown's return to Promise at the end of the show was just an amazing moment all the way to the end. I just can't be convinced that SCV's push was a "better" push than Crown's.

Then again that's my opinion and not everyone will agree with it...

Raise your hand if you heard (or performed in) both live?

I just watched both, and was wondering as I did so, "Which one is Bruckner?"

(At least when the camera actually showed the bulk of the corps. Awful videography, especially 1984: imagine watching a football game in which the camera crew decides to follow the quarterback for 30 seconds, then the coach for 30 seconds, then a particular receiver for 30 seconds, etc., regardless of whether any of them was doing anything worth seeing.)

I just watched both, and was wondering as I did so, "Which one is Bruckner?"

(At least when the camera actually showed the bulk of the corps. Awful videography, especially 1984: imagine watching a football game in which the camera crew decides to follow the quarterback for 30 seconds, then the coach for 30 seconds, then a particular receiver for 30 seconds, etc., regardless of whether any of them was doing anything worth seeing.)

Don't get me going on early/mid 80s camera choices....absolutely awful....2 biggest offenses...focusing on the guard instead of the battery in 83 with BD's Paradox, and missing Garfield's company front in 84. Argh.

I agree with you. To me that push SCV did in 84 was nice but Crown's return to Promise at the end of the show was just an amazing moment all the way to the end. I just can't be convinced that SCV's push was a "better" push than Crown's.

I think that's more a consequence of show flow and design separated by a quarter of a century. SCV's was a stand alone chart, and the push section closed the show perfectly. Crown STARTED with the chart, and restating it in the closing gave the overall program a big sense of resolution quite different from 84 SCV.

An even better example is 03 Regiment (DROOL!!!!)

In a strict musical sense as stand alone charts, however, I still go with SCV 84. Even the 85 version didn;t have the same feel -- it was used more as a standard middle of the show chart, since Red Pony was the actual closer.