No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

This whole thread is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I can't believe what I'm reading, seriously. Everyone loves to do post finals concert (Go to Reading's web site and read Cabs vs Cops by Donnie Solinger), but the "we worked all year we deserve to do it" its the weakest thing I've ever heard.

What about the people that worked hard all week, what if in those houses you are playing front of resides newborn babies, sick people that could possibly have days left to live?

Are you people really THAT selfish?

Why can't you go back to your homebase AFTER you return from finals and do your last concert in your own neighborhood, which could be a win win, if you actually think outside the box. YOU get to perform one more time, and maybe show your own neighborhood what you are all about and drill up some interest both for membership and financial.

Camel - it is CLEAR to me - that YOU have NEVER run a corps, you have NO idea what directors do or even support staff.

I am disgusted by what some of you are saying here and embarressed.

Newborn babies, sick people with days to live? Really??

Anyway, I agree with whoever said that management should be finding a way to still carry out this tradition somewhere else that night. It IS important to the membership, because it's for THEM. The actual rehearsing and performing portion of the season really is not that fun. I don't think I've ever been to a corps' (that had an intention to seriously compete) rehearsal and seen smiling faces. A few laughs here and there, but for the most part, it is not fun. The end of the year concert is what helps translate all that hard work throughout the year into pleasant lasting memories. People underestimate the impact that little events have on the overall picture. It is a big deal.

People keep saying, "Is it really that important? It's only 11 minutes at the end of the year. Big deal." It's the only 11 minutes during the whole year where you don't get yelled at, aren't getting judged, and can just let loose.

Maybe it can't be done outside the stadium, but corps' management needs to figure it out. At least until a friendlier city submits a good bid.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe all the corps can stay on the stadium property in the end zones and behind the back stands and do their thing after retreat

Has it occurred to anyone that this ordinance might extend to all events, even inside the stadium? The first weekend of the New Haven CT Jazz fest they had to shut down the last act early to meet a 9:00 noise ordinance requirement.

Thank you for the information.

I have notified my corps and the Govenaires will comply with this directive.

Finally. A voice of reason. And I don't mean the screen name.

:thumbup:

Newborn babies, sick people with days to live? Really??

Anyway, I agree with whoever said that management should be finding a way to still carry out this tradition somewhere else that night. It IS important to the membership, because it's for THEM. The actual rehearsing and performing portion of the season really is not that fun. I don't think I've ever been to a corps' (that had an intention to seriously compete) rehearsal and seen smiling faces. A few laughs here and there, but for the most part, it is not fun. The end of the year concert is what helps translate all that hard work throughout the year into pleasant lasting memories. People underestimate the impact that little events have on the overall picture. It is a big deal.

People keep saying, "Is it really that important? It's only 11 minutes at the end of the year. Big deal." It's the only 11 minutes during the whole year where you don't get yelled at, aren't getting judged, and can just let loose.

Maybe it can't be done outside the stadium, but corps' management needs to figure it out. At least until a friendlier city submits a good bid.

Yes, really. You are talking about playing in a neighborhood, do you think these scenario's are NOT possible? I know it exists where I live. My father had terminal cancer and came home to spend his last days at home, do you think someone that is unbearable pain wants to hear a loud, out of tune, corps play after 11:00 at night?

How about the extremely sleep deprived mother that finally got her screaming baby to sleep?

Management has to deal with getting 130+ members around a city for a weekend, rehersals, shows, meetings, the last thing on a priority list is a concert after finals.

Oh and lets be honest, its not 11 mins, set up, break down, lots of people moving around they are loud.

Again, I participated in many, enjoyed them all, but if it is going to risk a relationship with a town and its tax pay neighbors it's not worth it.

We all know that our activity is limited, do you really think this is a good way to advertise and get the word out?

Stop the madness, while it's fun, the ramifications are not worth the few minutes of fun.

Actually if you read the Rochester noise ordinance (I have, BTW), that would not insulate you from being in violation if it can be heard from any adjoining private property. So after 10pm even the victory concert could be shut down if a complaint is called in - extreme circumstance I hope, but now you have to wonder how far the city will go to enforce the ordinance.

From what you are saying, even a late night rehearsal within the city limits could be shut down if a complaint is made.

Who here doesn't have an evening rehersal shut down because of noise ordinances? :thumbup:

Where I come from it is NORMAL. Don't see why when we invade another place en-mass that we shouldn't respect the same rules....

Doesn't it seem that every place that holds DCA Championships has had some problem to tick some people off? Where else would you hold it? Georgia? Won't happen because the majority of the Northeast corps won't travel that far. So that leaves out anything past Buffalo. You can always count on the Southern, MidWest and Western corps to travel anywhere to go to the Championships. Now, Rochester has more people in the seats (right?) and Buffalo does the same thing for DCI. So that area is beneficial for DCA. We all complained about Scranton and the police so Rochester puts in a great bid and it is accepted. Stop complaining!

No parking lot concert? So what. I agree with Tom about the area....prostitution and drugs and THEY are complaining to the Mayor about noise? Ticked off that they aren't getting any of the cash because DC people don't need a ho. I think you can write a well composed letter to the Mayor without being an idiot and that may help things. Here's the other idea I thought of....maybe the Mayor said that to appease the neighborhood but won't have the police do anything...just a thought.

I am surprised that Tom Peashey hasn't commented on this post yet.

Doesn't it seem that every place that holds DCA Championships has had some problem to tick some people off? Where else would you hold it? Georgia? Won't happen because the majority of the Northeast corps won't travel that far. So that leaves out anything past Buffalo. You can always count on the Southern, MidWest and Western corps to travel anywhere to go to the Championships. Now, Rochester has more people in the seats (right?) and Buffalo does the same thing for DCI. So that area is beneficial for DCA. We all complained about Scranton and the police so Rochester puts in a great bid and it is accepted. Stop complaining!

No parking lot concert? So what. I agree with Tom about the area....prostitution and drugs and THEY are complaining to the Mayor about noise? Ticked off that they aren't getting any of the cash because DC people don't need a ho. I think you can write a well composed letter to the Mayor without being an idiot and that may help things. Here's the other idea I thought of....maybe the Mayor said that to appease the neighborhood but won't have the police do anything...just a thought.

I am surprised that Tom Peashey hasn't commented on this post yet.

Broad Stroke much? So ALL the people in that area are prostitutes and drug addicts?