Paul Rennick Joins SCV Staff and Creative Team

unfortunately, i haven't gotten to try out those newer IP ones... so, i guess my opinion can't include those...

i think if Rennick got rid of the cymbal line at SCV, every single cymbal alumni (if not, ALL alumni) would revolt and murder him. lol

SCV cymbals are NOT someone you want to anger

are you saying that "the vipers" would strike? :thumbup:

Phantom was Pearl through the 07 season, but Paul is a Dynasty and Innovative Percussion artist like the rest of the faculty at UNT, so they switched to Dynasty. So expect SCV to fulfill the rest of their Pearl and Vic Firth contracts and then make the switch.

Even this unwashed brass player can tell that Dynasty drums sound hideous compared to Pearl. SCV was one of the last bastions of Pearl as the Barbarian hordes of Dynasty and Yamaha have been chipping away at the edges of their empire for years. It seems that all the other corps are sluts when it comes to equipment but SCV has been faithful all of these years. Too bad improved playing will come at the expense of quality of sound. I guess the competitive advantage of packaging horns and drums together is something that cash strapped DCs are finding hard to resist.

Even still, I'm very happy for SCV. It only took about 30 seconds of listening to their drumline warmup at a Rice Stadium clinic in 1990 to get me hooked on drum corps. SCV Drumline= "A hell of a drug!"

I cannot imagine him getting rid of the (overrated) cymbal line because THAT is definitely a big part of the Jonze's identity. Besides, Rennick wrote great parts for his lines that had cymbals.

I see what you did there. zing!

Man, Paul's beats with a good cymbal line added in the mix!!! Nice!

Forgive my ignorance because I don't know if Mr. Rennick would be the one making the decision, but could this affect SCV's cymbal line (in terms of having one)?

Na... The cymbal is the heart of that drum corps ( as told by SCV alum I have worked with ).

Dynasty drums sound hideous compared to Pearl.

Dynasty drums do not sound hideous compared to Pearl. The three Phantoms lines that played Dynasty under Rennick sounded great. It is all in the tuning. Check out some DCA lines that play Dynasty. Their drums sound good. Again, it is the tuning.

There is an interview with Paul Rennick on Youtube where he talks about his tuning philospohy. He said that he tunes the drums for how they will sound in the stands. In other words he does not go for a good sound standing directly in front of the line. He stands well back from them because that is how the audience will hear it.

Are you familiar with Stingray drums? Awful stuff, but the '96 Westshoremen made them sound wonderful. With some effort any drum can be made to sound good.

Dynasty drums do not sound hideous compared to Pearl.

Yeah, and the "revamped" Ludwig drums are far, far superior to Yamaha.

Pearl and Yamaha are the standard. That's it and that's that.

Mapex needs some time to prove itself. Ludwig=crap, Dynasty=crap, Remo=crap, Stingray=crap, Premier (current)=crap, Jupiter=crap, McCormick=crap, Slingerland=crap. Yes, I'm old enough to remember Slingerlands.

Edited by shortn'sour

Regarding SCV's cymbal line, Paul has always had cymbal lines at UNT and always had them when he was at Crown. I doubt he'll bag it.

Are you familiar with Stingray drums? Awful stuff, but the '96 Westshoremen made them sound wonderful. With some effort any drum can be made to sound good.

I wouldn't say Westshore's drums sounded wonderful. I'd say they sounded decent. Were they using the fiberglass angled snares? Those things were hideous.

Also, snare guts make a HUGE impact on sound. I have related my Ludwig/Empire Statesmen tale earlier re: snare guts (Prince TopSpin tennis string).

And, for the record, nothing is better than making Slingerland snare shells implode with kevlar heads (circa 1992).

Edited by atlvalet

i can't wait to see what the rest of the percussion staff looks like...will MG still be around?