Paul Rennick Joins SCV Staff and Creative Team

Some people say SCV is in a 'funk'...well, they're not placing where they want...but I (for one) loved Bartok (I WILL say: "CAN THAT D@*( SYNTH!"

Other than that, I'm loving what they're doing -

(edited because somehow I hit something wrong, and it posted before I was done...)

Edited by FHdork

Not for nothing but where in DCI did Mr. Rennick march?

Paul marched snare for 27th Lancers in 84-85 I believe. Not sure on the years, definitely 2-7 though.

So, trading Paul for SCV's identity in the percussion world?

I don't necessarily believe that SCV's identity is tilted snares and Pearl. Yes, they've used both in recent years (Pearl a lot longer), but I'd prefer to think of their identity as a group with great players who is continuously pushing the envelope. I believe this is what Fred and Ralph envisioned in the beginning and what Scott, Jim and Murray did in the past two decades...I have no doubt that Paul will do the same thing. Besides, even if they DIDN'T use Pearl, Paul has redesigned the Dynasty drums to be pretty comparable to Pearl (quads in particular) IMO. I think SCV's identity in the percussion world is going to be JUST fine.

Edited by zeke99

Why does eveyone assume Mr. Rennick will stay with Die-Nasty? Artists swich companies all the time.

• Like 1

The company has a contract with the corps. They also have a contract with some instructors. Ralph Hardimon, for example, is a Vic Firth, Sabian artist (among others) but the Troopers are an Innovative corps. They've been a Zildjian corps for a very long time. Sometimes an instructor can get the corps to switch, like Rich Viano did with Boston. They were a Zildjian corps since the early/mid 80's but they switched to Sabian with Viano. Other corps keep their contract with their company and let the instructor keep theirs like Ausdermore (ProMark) and Blue Knights (Vic Firth). Bret Kuhn is a Zildjian artist but the Colts are a Sabian corps. Casella remains a Pearl artist but Cavies are a Yamaha corps. Each corps is different and is handled differently. Paul very well could remain a Dynasty endorser (God only knows why he'd want to) and SCV remain a Pearl corps (which is hopefully the case).

The equipment contract is between the corps and the manufacturer and is typically a multi-year deal. Paul Rennick became a Dynasty artist in the spring of 2006, but Regiment continued to use Pearl through the end of their contract in 2007. The corps then inked a deal with Dynasty. Another case in point: Jim Casella was (and I believe still is) a Pearl artist. However, Cavaliers continued to use Yamaha throughout his tenure as caption director. So, if SCV's contract with Pearl goes through the 2011 season or beyond, I would expect that they will be using Pearl/Adams next summer.

The other contracts (sticks, heads, cymbals) are more easily changed, since those items are replaced much more frequently. I would bet the farm that SCV will be using Innovative, Remo, and Zildjian next summer.

Scott Johnson still has his signature stick through Vic Firth even though the Devils switched to Promark. However, to quote the Dynasty Facebook page concerning Rennick's departure it sounds like he is also leaving Dynasty: "Paul Rennick has left Phantom Regiment. Best of luck Paul and thanks for being a huge part of the Dynasty family." To me, their use of the words "best of luck" indicates that he is leaving Dynasty.

Scott is no longer with Vic Firth. He is a Pro-Mark artist now, and has a signature stick with them. He honored the rest of his Vic contract after BD changed to Pro-Mark, and then when it was up, he switched.

Regarding Paul's status as a Dynasty artist, that happened because all the percussion faculty at UNT went Dynasty. It is evident that he really liked the Pearl sound, especially since he made changes to the Dynasty drums to make them sound more like Pearls. I hope that Vanguard continues their relationship with Pearl/Adams regardless of what Paul does. I would love to hear a Rennick percussion section back on Pearl/Adams, Remo, Innovative, and Zildjian.

Why does eveyone assume Mr. Rennick will stay with Die-Nasty? Artists swich companies all the time.

Because of UNT and because Dynasty will basically give him whatever he wants. Paul Rennick is the biggest reasons why the drums they make now sound a million times better than what they made 5 years ago. He asked Dynasty for a deeper shell cut in the tenors and they gave it to him. He worked with them to add extra air vents in the snares to improve their sounds. He worked with Dynasty to change the bearing edge cut on their drums.

I've never heard of Pearl being that helpful and willing to work with their customers on changes to the product.

I've never heard of Pearl being that helpful and willing to work with their customers on changes to the product.

Pearl makes a superior product to begin with. However, in the industry, Pearl has a great reputation among it's roster of artists as being VERY open minded and easy to deal with and willing to listen to it's customers and make changes. As someone who has experience in the industry the above statement is simply untrue. And no, I did not work for Pearl. They have some hardware issues with tenors, but there is NO denying the sound.

IF Vanguard ends up switching to Innovative, i'm going to hold out hope that they come out w/ some Kent Cater signature bass mallets... Vic's bass mallets are TOTALLY the best ones out there right now (i've used Vic Firth, Innovative, AND Promark (UGH) ones for multiple years, so i know what i'm talking about)