What is the role of Alumni

When I've had the opportunity and resources, I have contributed and volunteered. However, I didn't expect that somehow this gave me any "say" in what the corps does or doesn't do. I have criticized my corps as much as I have cheered for them. Unless you are directly involved as a staff or board member, you have no claim to any expectations.

Alumni should:

Cheer like hell for the home team

Volunteer

Write a check

I agree with this. However, I would add that fewer than 10% of alumni remain engaged and passionate about the activity to the extent where they are going to make monetary contributions. And along with the contributions comes a certain sense of entitlement to "chime in" on the corps' activities. I think that corps management is wise to engage alums in meaningful discussion, but ppl need to realize that a $100 check does not earn them the right to run the corps.

I agree with this. However, I would add that fewer than 10% of alumni remain engaged and passionate about the activity to the extent where they are going to make monetary contributions. And along with the contributions comes a certain sense of entitlement to "chime in" on the corps' activities. I think that corps management is wise to engage alums in meaningful discussion, but ppl need to realize that a $100 check does not earn them the right to run the corps.

agreed

The alumni I run into seem to believe that the years they marched gave them some unique insight into how the corps should be run. Most, if not all, have no idea what it takes to put a drum corps on the field each summer. (Its a miracle in itself that so many are able to do it.)

That is why I encourage those who still have a passion for their corps and/or the activity to cheer, volunteer and donate. Leave the actual running of the corps to the ones who live and breath it every day.

Should we adopt a "My Corps, right or wrong, is still my Corps!" attitude?

No. People change and corps change. Just because you marched in a corps a hundred years ago doesn't mean you have to support the corps forever.

No. People change and corps change. Just because you marched in a corps a hundred years ago doesn't mean you have to support the corps forever.

"Traitor" :thumbup:... I know, "forever" is a long time.

Alumni support of the kids is essential IMHO. Alumni pass on the history of their Corps to new members year after year. When that happens, each kid keeps it in their heart and takes it onto the field with them. Someday those kids will be Alumni themselves and will be needed to volunteer, give monetarily or pass on the Corps history. If they feel that their Alumni didn't care about them when they marched, why should they care about the kids that come after them? That is, if their Corps can survive without their help.

If you don't like the direction your Corps has taken, rant and rave all you want at the bar after the show, but leave the running of the Corps to the Director, BOD and Staff.

"Traitor" :thumbup:... I know, "forever" is a long time.

Alumni support of the kids is essential IMHO. Alumni pass on the history of their Corps to new members year after year. When that happens, each kid keeps it in their heart and takes it onto the field with them. Someday those kids will be Alumni themselves and will be needed to volunteer, give monetarily or pass on the Corps history. If they feel that their Alumni didn't care about them when they marched, why should they care about the kids that come after them? That is, if their Corps can survive without their help.

If you don't like the direction your Corps has taken, rant and rave all you want at the bar after the show, but leave the running of the Corps to the Director, BOD and Staff.

I never said it was OK to bad mouth the corps or staff. I never said the alums should run the corps. What I said is that you are not obligated to support a corps just because you marched with them.

My corps is defunct, so I must speak as a general alumnus of the drum corps activity.

The obligation of drum corps alumni is to preserve and strengthen the activity so current and future marching corps members have the same opportunity to perform, grow and mature as the alumni did when we marched.

"Traitor" :tongue:... I know, "forever" is a long time.

It's kept us going for 76 years :thumbup:

Money.