What recent popular songs would work for drum corps?

Are there any songs with harmonic content beyond 1-3-5 and I-IV-V function?

Were there in the 1970s, when popular songs were more frequently played by corps? That's a serious question, not snark.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were there in the 1970s, when popular songs were more frequently played by corps? That's a serious question, not snark.

I hear you, no snarkiness felt. However, the expectation has changed COMPLETELY. It started with Wayne Downy going into critique and slamming every 1-3-5 chord out there (kinda like I do here), pointing out that it's a lot harder (more exposed) to play in jazz's harmonic language. Now, let's be honest: 95% of the judges can't tell a maj/min seventh chord from a min/maj seventh chord, but they can hear when it's NOT 1-3-5. And they're not going to argue with Wayne (the epitome of CI, after all)

BITD, BD was playing Pegasus and La Fiesta....1-3-5-7-9-11-13 baby! It's all there, esp Pegasus. Meanwhile, Phantom is playing Russian Easter Overture (is there a single 7th chord in there?), 27th Lancers is playing Danny Boy, Spirit is playing Georgia on My Mind (def has 7th chords..maybe every one of them! but that's all...no 9-11-13) and Crossmen is playing Tiger of San Pedro...CMON!

As much as I love me some Mahler, you'll have to get on over to his 9th or 10th symphonies for it to get really interesting harmonically.

All things being equal, the nod should go to the corps with the most diverse harmonic language. Wayne has made sure of it, with 2010 being his Magnum Opus.

SCV did Eclipse by Talvin Singh in 2008. It's not an American pop tune... more of Asian underground... but it is considered pop music from where it comes from.

Just for reference, these are the number one hits on the U.S. pop chart for the past twelve months, in chronological order:

"I Gotta Feeling" -- The Black Eyed Peas

"Use Somebody" -- Kings Of Leon

"Down" -- Jay Sean featuring Lil Wayne

"Party in the U.S.A." -- Miley Cyrus

"Paparazzi" -- Lady Gaga

"Whatcha Say" -- Jason Derülo

"Replay" -- Iyaz

"Bad Romance" -- Lady Gaga

"Tik Tok" -- Kesha

"Telephone" -- Lady Gaga featuring Beyoncé

"In My Head" -- Jason Derülo

"Rude Boy" -- Rihanna

"Nothin' On You" -- B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars

"Break Your Heart" -- Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris

"Your Love Is My Drug" -- Kesha

"California Gurls" -- Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg

"Love The Way You Lie" -- Eminem featuring Rihanna

"Dynamite" -- Taio Cruz

There was a time I would scoffed at the suggestion. Pop/rock is hard to pull off because there is often isn't much depth in the chords and brass is such a different feel than guitar. And the absolute worst is when high schools or colleges play modern music with these simplistically direct adaptations.

But DCI arrangers blow me away with what they can do. I wouldn't have thought anyone could make a show out of Billy Joel but I was plesantly surprised by Cavaliers in '07. Crown has pulled off songs I would have never dreamed could be put on the field like 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' And Madison was surprisingly effective with Alanis Morissette's 'Uninvited.'

Of course, sometimes they have to stray pretty far from the nest to make it work for drum corps. Plenty of years I have liked something without realizing what it 'was' at first, like when BD did 'Unchained Melody' and so on. I didn't even catch Tears for Fears' 'Mad World' in the Cavies show at first, and I loved that song back in its day.

But is all in the arranging. Crossmen '94 made a pretty good piece out of 'Pop Goes the Weasel' so I tend to believe anything is possible. :thumbup:

Edited by skevinp

I hear you, no snarkiness felt. However, the expectation has changed COMPLETELY. It started with Wayne Downy going into critique and slamming every 1-3-5 chord out there (kinda like I do here), pointing out that it's a lot harder (more exposed) to play in jazz's harmonic language. Now, let's be honest: 95% of the judges can't tell a maj/min seventh chord from a min/maj seventh chord, but they can hear when it's NOT 1-3-5. And they're not going to argue with Wayne (the epitome of CI, after all)

BITD, BD was playing Pegasus and La Fiesta....1-3-5-7-9-11-13 baby! It's all there, esp Pegasus. Meanwhile, Phantom is playing Russian Easter Overture (is there a single 7th chord in there?), 27th Lancers is playing Danny Boy, Spirit is playing Georgia on My Mind (def has 7th chords..maybe every one of them! but that's all...no 9-11-13) and Crossmen is playing Tiger of San Pedro...CMON!

As much as I love me some Mahler, you'll have to get on over to his 9th or 10th symphonies for it to get really interesting harmonically.

All things being equal, the nod should go to the corps with the most diverse harmonic language. Wayne has made sure of it, with 2010 being his Magnum Opus.

I would hate to hear your play list. You gotta lighten up sometimes and listen to some simple music.

By the way on the pop thing I think Lady Gaga is the way to go. She has more musicality in her songs then anyone on the pop seen now. But there's not a lot of pop stuff to choose from now. Definitly not like the years of Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Tower of Power and Earth Wind and Fire.