Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

it's not East Coast centric. it's spread across the country and is growing. But even the corps outside of the NE will tell you, they arent ready to push for moving it yet, because it takes time to build the audience.

right. Because we cannot conflate where corps come from to what the most important aspect of drum corps is...the fans. The audience.

And if the audience for DCA is 2-3 times as big in the NE, then, DCA is East Coast centric.

Give DCI it's props...the corps are from all over the country and in the last 10 years...finals have been all over the country.

Soul for DCA is regional.

Soul for DCI...nationwide...and worldwide on the nets.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right. Because we cannot conflate where corps come from to what the most important aspect of drum corps is...the fans. The audience.

And if the audience for DCA is 2-3 times as big in the NE, then, DCA is East Coast centric.

Give DCI it's props...the corps are from all over the country and in the last 10 years...finals have been all over the country.

Soul for DCA is regional.

Soul for DCI...nationwide...and worldwide on the nets.

I have never said DCI wasn't nationwide in terms of fan following. I have said it's lost too many of those fans.

Also, please remember corps outside the NE is a relatively new beast. You had Kilties and MBI ( and a few other midwestern ones going back to the 70's in DCA, but until Heatwave down south in the mid 90's, then the Renegades out west, an all age corps outside the NE was pretty much non existant 15 years ago.

it takes time to build it, and it will happen. Some people just refuse to have patience

Ya know....MikeD and woohoo...if this new marching band corps is what you want, why don't you strive for a new circuit instead of changing what already exists? You've never answered this, and I want to know. We constantly hear this "well, you want it how you want it". Then again, we aren't the ones wanting to change it into band corps. YOU are the one that wants it how you want it, and you are willing to change anything about the current product to bastardize it into your product.

Why not start your own, or at least back the starting up of a new product, and leave the old product alone? You could have your precious woodwinds...your 250 kids on the field...your reed contracts...your mini-mike staging...and you know full well, if enough people wanted it, it would flourish.

but...you won't...

Oh, I don't particularly want to change it, apparently corps directors do. I like the way it is and the way it was, just for different reasons. I could live without the electronics, but I can live with them too. I like as little limitations on art as possible.

Oh, I don't particularly want to change it, apparently corps directors do. I like the way it is and the way it was, just for different reasons. I could live without the electronics, but I can live with them too. I like as little limitations on art as possible.

I 100% agree with this statement. Looking at Finals DVD's from past years, there are just as many shows I really liked in 1979, or 1986, or 1994, etc. as there were in 2010, 2009, 2008, etc. I can take or leave any of this stuff, but as long as drum corps are producing great shows and executing at the highest possible level, I'm going to like it.

My counter-argument to those asking you, WOOHOO, to "start your own circuit" or some such non-sense, would be:

"Why don't you stay in DCA and leave current DCI alone."

These people are obviously NOT supporting the activity currently, so why waste bandwidth/time whining about something they a) don't like/support, and b) they have zero chance of changing?

Life's too short to (continually) bicker and whine about not important things. DCI is what it is, and we can all either choose to go with the flow and continue to like/support corps we approve of, and ignore what we don't like OR walk away, go outside, and find another hobby. Don't like electronics? By all means, DCA sounds like it's a wonderful activity (I personally have very little interest in DCA myself: funny thing about that, though, I don't troll the DCA forums here complaining about it), and may be more to their liking.

By the way, yes I know I'm talking to a wall, and that what I write will change nothing. We'll still get the pointless whining and bickering about DCI from the same folks who don't support the activity, donate, help, or do absolutely nothing to actually try to improve what they perceive as a "broken" medium. But whatever...

Ya know....MikeD and woohoo...if this new marching band corps is what you want, why don't you strive for a new circuit instead of changing what already exists? You've never answered this, and I want to know. We constantly hear this "well, you want it how you want it". Then again, we aren't the ones wanting to change it into band corps. YOU are the one that wants it how you want it, and you are willing to change anything about the current product to bastardize it into your product.

Why not start your own, or at least back the starting up of a new product, and leave the old product alone? You could have your precious woodwinds...your 250 kids on the field...your reed contracts...your mini-mike staging...and you know full well, if enough people wanted it, it would flourish.

but...you won't...

Why don't you stop trolling the DCI World Class Corps Discussions forum when you clearly would probably be happier with DCA forums? If you don't like the current direction of DCI, why not spend time reliving your favorite eras in the Historical forum, and/or stay in the DCA forum if that suits your fancy? Why waste our time bantering and ranting about things you have zero control over, and apparently have no motivation to try to change short of whining on the internet? Why don't you find better use of your time, stop spreading bile and passing off your PERSONAL opinion of what drum corps "should" be (no matter how obviously out of touch it is) as some sort of fact, and instead go somewhere else?

but...you won't... :blink:

Why don't you stop trolling the DCI World Class Corps Discussions forum when you clearly would probably be happier with DCA forums? If you don't like the current direction of DCI, why not spend time reliving your favorite eras in the Historical forum, and/or stay in the DCA forum if that suits your fancy? Why waste our time bantering and ranting about things you have zero control over, and apparently have no motivation to try to change short of whining on the internet? Why don't you find better use of your time, stop spreading bile and passing off your PERSONAL opinion of what drum corps "should" be (no matter how obviously out of touch it is) as some sort of fact, and instead go somewhere else?

but...you won't... :blink:

LMFAO. I have never seen ANYONE on here waste so much time complaining about someone else complaining in my life. The idea of a forum is for ideas to be debated etc., not shut down because someone doesn't like what they read. I would consider YOU a prime example of a dino and not quite comprehending what forums and blogs are for. I have never seen a clear cut case of closed mind in my travels here on DCP.

Just...amazing. :tongue: :tongue:

I 100% agree with this statement. Looking at Finals DVD's from past years, there are just as many shows I really liked in 1979, or 1986, or 1994, etc. as there were in 2010, 2009, 2008, etc. I can take or leave any of this stuff, but as long as drum corps are producing great shows and executing at the highest possible level, I'm going to like it.

My counter-argument to those asking you, WOOHOO, to "start your own circuit" or some such non-sense, would be:

"Why don't you stay in DCA and leave current DCI alone."

These people are obviously NOT supporting the activity currently, so why waste bandwidth/time whining about something they a) don't like/support, and b) they have zero chance of changing?

Life's too short to (continually) bicker and whine about not important things. DCI is what it is, and we can all either choose to go with the flow and continue to like/support corps we approve of, and ignore what we don't like OR walk away, go outside, and find another hobby. Don't like electronics? By all means, DCA sounds like it's a wonderful activity (I personally have very little interest in DCA myself: funny thing about that, though, I don't troll the DCA forums here complaining about it), and may be more to their liking.

By the way, yes I know I'm talking to a wall, and that what I write will change nothing. We'll still get the pointless whining and bickering about DCI from the same folks who don't support the activity, donate, help, or do absolutely nothing to actually try to improve what they perceive as a "broken" medium. But whatever...

Geesh, generalize much?

You are certainly wrong on this point.

Geesh, generalize much?

You are certainly wrong on this point.

Don't know what you're definition of "support" means, but clearly a lot of people spreading the bile around here are not supporting the activity in the broadest sense. Some people obviously do, but many emphatically state that they haven't gone to shows in years, let alone volunteer, donate, etc.

LMFAO. I have never seen ANYONE on here waste so much time complaining about someone else complaining in my life. The idea of a forum is for ideas to be debated etc., not shut down because someone doesn't like what they read. I would consider YOU a prime example of a dino and not quite comprehending what forums and blogs are for. I have never seen a clear cut case of closed mind in my travels here on DCP.

Just...amazing. :tongue::blink:

Thanks. pot!

To paraphrase a wise old Jedi, Who's more foolish, me complaining about whiners, or you complaining about me complaining?! Ha Funny...

Thanks for trolling though (and reminding me why I have you on 'ignore')

Thanks. pot!

To paraphrase a wise old Jedi, Who's more foolish, me complaining about whiners, or you complaining about me complaining?! Ha Funny...

Thanks for trolling though (and reminding me why I have you on 'ignore')

Ah Master! Looks like you have most of reality on ignore as well! LMFAO!

Thanks for the enlightening response; as they say, "ignorance is bliss".

:blink: