Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

So, you are saying that due to that change in our school music education system, drum corps has lost its soul; and therefore we should revert back to the way it 'was' to recapture honor in drum corps?

Not at all, not progressing would have killed drum corps by now!

True, I'd love to see and hear Rockford's Purple Knights/Squires/Paiges and see that type of program thrive, but it probably couldn't today without a lot of backing. I'd even be thrilled to see Phantom Regiments Cadets again! To me the 'soul' of a corps is based on members having been in a corps for years. Growing and learning for years.

I have issues with drum corps becoming an activity that is only for the students of music - those who have already learned the basics. Yes, it gives faster results to include students of music or hobbyists as one poster put it.

Because most of the efforts and resources of most corps must support 'Marching Music of Today' there are no funds to bring in kids who want to learn to love music, no time to teach these kids, and according to a previous poster no desire to do so (in some cases).

As for assuming that I am claiming that drum corps has lost its soul and honor as a result of school music systems and I want it to go back to the old way......NO! I am suggesting that focusing on only the previously trained student (classes or hobby) is limiting the scope of drum corps and limiting the fan base.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I don't believe that.

and it can't be dictated.

you're right. common sense can't be dictated. which is why we see so many of the messes we see in life and in drum corps.

True, I'd love to see and hear Rockford's Purple Knights/Squires/Paiges and see that type of program thrive, but it probably couldn't today without a lot of backing. I'd even be thrilled to see Phantom Regiments Cadets again! To me the 'soul' of a corps is based on members having been in a corps for years. Growing and learning for years.

I have issues with drum corps becoming an activity that is only for the students of music - those who have already learned the basics. Yes, it gives faster results to include students of music or hobbyists as one poster put it.

Because most of the efforts and resources of most corps must support 'Marching Music of Today' there are no funds to bring in kids who want to learn to love music, no time to teach these kids, and according to a previous poster no desire to do so (in some cases).

As for assuming that I am claiming that drum corps has lost its soul and honor as a result of school music systems and I want it to go back to the old way......NO! I am suggesting that focusing on only the previously trained student (classes or hobby) is limiting the scope of drum corps and limiting the fan base.

I think this scenario would be just fine if the public (or private) school systems did not at all provide these needs to children. It is fair to say that as a whole, the school systems of now do a better job of teaching the basics of music than they did let's say 50 years ago. Sure, there are pockets of places where there are no music programs, and they are getting cut, but I'm sure this number is no higher than it was 50 years ago.

More importantly, I think students have a responsibility to teach themselves music rudiments. I was, and still my primary, an alto saxophone player going into my senior year of high school. I wanted to march drum corps, so I went to the band director and asked for a concert euphonium and a methods book and sat in my room for at least 5 hours a day for however long until I figured out how to play the thing (with brass specific instruction from the director, of course). I wanted to go into the activity with no practical limitations to hold me back. That is simply disrespectful to the group and activity.

Edited by WOOHOO

The old school way is still around but just not in the limelight. Take St. Louis for example: Show-Me-Sound is an inner city percussion program doing just what you desire (getting kids off the street, putting instruments in their hands, and teaching them music). Conversely, Gateway Percussion is a competition based perfomance ensemble engaged in the WC world of WGI. They both coexist quite nicely. Also, there are plenty of community brass and percussion ensembles around the nation; many are starting to get involved with the SDCA (Small Drum Corps Association). So, why come down on the high quality standards in DCI of today, asking them to go back to the community educational level, asking groups from the Devils to Revolution to lower their competition and performance expectation standards, when there are plenty of community groups still providing that fundimental edaucational and community aspect?

If you don't like what's going on in the activity, why bother continuing to follow it (and if you say, "I haven't gone to a show in a long time" but still post/read here then you are still following it)? If you find more things you dislike than like, why bother wasting your time with it?

It's what we do. :worthy:

I personally really don't like country music, and therefor I don't listen to it on the radio, don't listen to CD's, don't troll country music forums, etc.

But you could troll. Apparently it's fun and a handy substitute for many things that might be missing in one's life.

Life is too short to waste time debating and complaining about something you don't like (and something you have little/no chance of changing).

Some people do brain surgery. Some people write novels. Some people complain about things they can't change. They're all living the American dream.

Edited by Michael Boo

To be blunt, I don't think drum corps has lost a thing: I think fans have. The common cliche' of the current generation of young adults is that kids seem to have a sense of entitlement, and that has CLEARLY found its way to many drum corps fans. Many fans have a very narrow 'definition' or expectation in a drum corps show design, and if there are elements they don't personally like the disgruntled fans are quick to shut off the positive aspects of the show, the positive aspects of drum corps in general, and immediately turn to the internet to whine. I don't care what uniform is on the field, how old the average membership age is, what repertoire is being played, what instruments are plugged in or acoustic, and what corps director is running things: there are PLENTY of great things to see no the field from every corps...

...I think it's laughable to even entertain the notion of drum corps "losing its soul," and I sincerely think that if you are contemplating agreeing with that notion than perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask the same question of yourself (or at least the question, "have I lost interest in drum corps").

I want to sit next to Doug at finals. At any show.

HH

Too long didn't read.

To answer your first question (or a statement, as you typed it): Kids learn discipline through their hard work, respect for the activity, and physical fitness is handed to them in a gift wrapped bag because of the long hours and tough shows that are being put on now-a-days. Some may say (due to certain events from time to time) that kids can act classless in public while in uniform, but that's the unfortunately mentality of "one bad apple spoils the batch". In general, kids are good.

Try reading it

I realize you may not be able to focus on more than a sound bite, but try and use that mnid that God gave you for more than an earbud host.

You may learn something

I would say that modern drum corps continues to be a wholesome activity that teaches young people discipline, respect, and fitness. Not sure what that has to do with a "soul".

I've been struggling with how to even respond here. Do you attend drum corps shows in your area? Do you actively support your local corps? If you want to grow the activity, that's the first place to start. If you don't like the current rules or judging practices, well, I don't know what to say. I'm frustrated with a lot of changes over the past decade, and it's fun to argue about them here and whether they are good or bad for the future of the activity, but at the same time, I still love watching drum corps.

You're starting from a historical point of view, and all the changes that you don't like from the entire DCI era, but all we can have an effect on is the present. Instead of railing against 40 years worth of changes, how about getting in there, supporting what's good in the activity, working to make it grow, and when opportunities arise, argue for the changes you think would make the activity better.

you an't fix a problem unless you realize that there is one. many of the responses I received sdaid they know drum corps today (only) and like it. Therefore I provided some historical perspective. We have a palgue that is killing drum coprs and has been for some time. the Basic questions: where did we come from, why were drum coprs formed, what has changed, what change has been good, is it meeting the objectives, what cnaabe done ton make it better. The latest trend is to make it more like a HS band to solve their problems is more of putting a bandaid on cancer..

As to your question, yes I am workinfg with a group to start a drum coprs in my area. We have a color guard and hope to add a drujm line. Costs are tremendous.

CoDan