Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "soul" would be what the members take away from their time in drum corps, right? If so, the soul is still very much intact.

Nope, the "Soul" is the fan entertainment factor. DCI is currently possessed by :doh: and needs an Exorcism by Father Merrin and Father Karras.........

For what it's worth, I wanted to march DCI drum corps. Not DCA weekend corps. Not parade performance local corps. Not church-sponsored small-town corps. I wanted to march in a DCI drum corps that toured the entirety of the United States performing at a near professional level of excellence night in and night out.

I will hazard a guess that very few people would be interested in marching a truly local, Boy Scout or church sponsored corps that toured only regionally at best.

Funny story: Colts tour is broken into three basic parts - Cornfield tour around the Midwest/Iowa area during spring training, a more regional-oriented tour, and the DCI Regional portion of the season leading into Championships. Lots of local "dog and pony" shows for communities free of charge. You know what those were to us? Warm up for REAL drum corps shows.

Maybe 1% of those marching want what will supposedly "fix" this activity.

As far as criss-crossing, 2007 was pretty rough. The tour map was all over the place. It's the only time I've ever gone from one town in Illinois to another with a detour through New York.

For what it's worth, I wanted to march DCI drum corps. Not DCA weekend corps. Not parade performance local corps. Not church-sponsored small-town corps. I wanted to march in a DCI drum corps that toured the entirety of the United States performing at a near professional level of excellence night in and night out.

I will hazard a guess that very few people would be interested in marching a truly local, Boy Scout or church sponsored corps that toured only regionally at best.

Funny story: Colts tour is broken into three basic parts - Cornfield tour around the Midwest/Iowa area during spring training, a more regional-oriented tour, and the DCI Regional portion of the season leading into Championships. Lots of local "dog and pony" shows for communities free of charge. You know what those were to us? Warm up for REAL drum corps shows.

Maybe 1% of those marching want what will supposedly "fix" this activity.

As far as criss-crossing, 2007 was pretty rough. The tour map was all over the place. It's the only time I've ever gone from one town in Illinois to another with a detour through New York.

Bingo!!!! Once the youth of our nation were enlightened to the excellence of nationally touring corps currently involved with DCI, and they were allowed to fly to different States for auditions, there was no returning to the local youth corps format on a large scale. Of course, there will always be some local non profit groups helping the underprivileged get off the streets by putting instruments in their hands and doing local performances; however, our culture has changed in the sense that local high school band programs have now for the most part taken over the musical niche that used to be filled by local Church Parade Corps and Police Youth Corps.

Edited by Stu

It is absolutely not just music majors, I don't know where you get this impression

Actually, I got that from kids on my campus when I would talk to them about DCI. That seems to be the preception.

Here's my challenge...get a group together and get those kids...you know...those corner standers, those bored youths standing around all summer and give them some horns and drums and uniforms and teach them 1 1-2 1 O 1 1 2 0 on the bugles and see what happens.

I don't see it becoming successful. I know two guys in Madison...one who posts here all the time...they tried this a little more than a year ago. A quite honest effort...worked their butts off....IN MADISON...a mecca of drum corps. I hope the guy posts on here...but kids weren't flocking.

Actually I wonder how many indie drum corps are still left-those that just do parades, no longer with DCI connections, community based, have become Alumni, etc. Over on the Historical section you keep hearing of old corps thought dead that are still around in one form or another. I see a couple every summer at various parades-used to see New York Lancers (?) on Fourth of July parades in Asbury Park-talked to the staff who were in CMCC when I marched-and my old corps exists in such a parade, community based manner. Now these corps may not be very exciting to the fan used to 70 brass, I'll give you that. But I do think they exist in probably a greater number than supposed.

Bingo!!!! Once the youth of our nation were enlightened to the excellence of nationally touring corps currently involved with DCI, and they were allowed to fly to different States for auditions, there was no returning to the local youth corps format on a large scale. Of course, there will always be some local non profit groups helping the underprivileged get off the streets by putting instruments in their hands and doing local performances; however, our culture has changed in the sense that local high school band programs have now for the most part taken over the musical niche that used to be filled by local Church Parade Corps and Police Youth Corps.

There are not a plethora of local non profit groups. Schools fill the need and when they don't, the kids mostly go without.

One trumpet....$1200.

Food for one day for 250 people....$400. You figure it out. The food pantry and the shelter is more important than putting horns in kids hands. If the schools aren't doing it, chances are, it's not going to happen. Not in this economy.

Actually, I got that from kids on my campus when I would talk to them about DCI. That seems to be the preception.

But it's not the truth. The "I got it from some kids who talked to some kids" doesn't fly.

More DCI member are not music or music ed majors than you would imagine.