Mini Corps Competition

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyliners: nothing changes in 50 years, does it? #dca2010

Excuse me??

Ray

Hey Ray ... I had a WTF moment when I first read this ... then I realized he was probably giving kudos to 50 years of great music and entertainment ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

The Freelancers had a mini-corps?! I thought that organization was pushing daisies? Soooo, I take it that the Freelancers mini is a separate entity from the main organization? Curious, were the uniforms of the traditional Freelancer look with the white flap on the red jacket?

Pardon all my questions, I've always been a Freelancers fan.

Yup! As of this year the death blow was the loss of the bingo operation. Before that there was a wiinter drumline. As far as I know we are still a part of the main organization. We've/ they've had rehearsals at the hall. From what I know, things are still passed by the powers that be. Not to sure what the future holds for the organization as a whole. The members of the mini corps are a great group of folks. As far a they are concerned, the Freelancer name willl be out there for as long as possible. The whole mini corps thing stated in 08, I think? As for uniforms, there has been three/to four different ones. The late 90's had a combo of red jacket and black or white pants. Then there where the triangular ones in the mid 80's. Before that there was a cadet style uni. I never had a chance to march in a DCI corps. The closest I ever got was marching at Riverside Community College 93 & 94. We had a bunch of corps folks. It was pretty much winter corps! LOL! This year is my first with the Freelancers Mini Corps. It's been a blast! Hope I've been some help.

Yup! As of this year the death blow was the loss of the bingo operation. Before that there was a wiinter drumline. As far as I know we are still a part of the main organization. We've/ they've had rehearsals at the hall. From what I know, things are still passed by the powers that be. Not to sure what the future holds for the organization as a whole. The members of the mini corps are a great group of folks. As far a they are concerned, the Freelancer name willl be out there for as long as possible. The whole mini corps thing stated in 08, I think? As for uniforms, there has been three/to four different ones. The late 90's had a combo of red jacket and black or white pants. Then there where the triangular ones in the mid 80's. Before that there was a cadet style uni. I never had a chance to march in a DCI corps. The closest I ever got was marching at Riverside Community College 93 & 94. We had a bunch of corps folks. It was pretty much winter corps! LOL! This year is my first with the Freelancers Mini Corps. It's been a blast! Hope I've been some help.

Thanks for the info! I sure hope there is a visibility of the Freelancers in drum corps for years to come. It may not be in the DCI/G7 circuit or winter drumline arena; but if it's through a dedicated, thriving, entertaining, and punchy DCA mini corps, bring it on! I'll take the Sacramento Freelancers over The Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Devils any day! The Freelancers have long had one of the best closers in drum corps; Bells! Whenever you would hear those first notes in the pit, you knew what was coming in one last final push of brass power! Simply put, awesome!

Edited by shortn'sour

Just wanted to say how much that I enjoyed everyone's performances. There was a lot of great musicianship on display and some sweet melodies with a lot of creativity. The performance level seems to rise every year!

My special congratulations go to the Ghost Riders. Donny, you really outdid yourself with the arrangements and you really had the group firing on all cylinders! I thought the dynamics were exceptional. For those not there, this group's performance was even more impressive in that they were probably one of the youngest groups as far as performer age. Nice job!!!

Geoff,

We thank you, and the other Ghost Rider's Alumnus, for being part of the Ghost Rider's family and supporting and cheering us on to this years 2nd place finish.

We also tip our hats to all the competitors that were on the stage last Friday night. A special shout out to our MCA members, Mass Brass and Golden Eagles, for keeping us on our toes as we all try to catch Star United.

Being on as late as we were, I did not get a chance to see any of the Mini-Corps live. However after seeing them on You Tube, all I can say is that the talent level of all the corps is way up from previous years!

Our membership does have some young talent however we do have 9 or 10 members over 55 with at least 7 over 60. Our average will put us up there with everyone else. Our program was titled "The OLD West meets the NEW Frontier" (i.e. old cowpokes with young guns)

BTW, this was GR's 15th consecutive appearance in the DCA Mini-Corps Championships.

Rod Keppel

Co-Director

Ghost Riders

Edited by melloone

Hey Ray ... I had a WTF moment when I first read this ... then I realized he was probably giving kudos to 50 years of great music and entertainment ...

:-)

Ray and Andy.....this is EXACTLY the way I took it as well.....50 years of GREAT music and entertainment.

I wouldn't go crazy over the statment.......take it as an honor to be associated with such a fine organization, that consistantly entertains the crowd like none other.

The mini corps did GREAT, and had the crowd on their feet......I wouldn't expect anything less! :beer:

Ray and Andy.....this is EXACTLY the way I took it as well.....50 years of GREAT music and entertainment.

I wouldn't go crazy over the statment.......take it as an honor to be associated with such a fine organization, that consistantly entertains the crowd like none other.

The mini corps did GREAT, and had the crowd on their feet......I wouldn't expect anything less! :beer:

Thanks Frank - I would have hoped that the scoring might have reflected that. We were honored and grateful to perform for an extremely appreciative crowd. --Rich

Great show, congrats to Ghost Riders, have not heard you play any better. Whole I&E experience was trememdous, but the din continues at back of mini corps venue, wish people that show up just to show up would SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

I have to agree. Sometimes I couldn't hear the soft passages in the music. I honestly don't know HOW the judges could do their job with all that noise. All of the corps deserve some respect for the work they put into bringing a quality product to the stage - FOR FREE! You wanna talk? GO OUTSIDE!