DCW article on fixing the tour model . . .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I've missed something along the way. How would it be possible to partner with Universities? Would summer marching band be offered as a credited course? Would a lab fee of some kind be charged to pay for tour? Is this a way to get the schools to pay for the instructors and support staff? Who reaps the rewards for the sweetheart deals from the suppliers (Pearl, Yamaha, Dynasty etc...) the Director or the music department scholarship fund? Would there be potential for a lawsuit for some type of discrimination if a student was "cut" and not allowed to participate?

These are serious questions and I hope someone out there can help me with the answers.

Edit for my own sanity.

Edited by RetiredJedi

Would there be potential for a lawsuit for some type of discrimination if a student was "cut" and not allowed to participate? Would there be some kind of quota with everything being so PC?

Do you know anything about university music programs or universities in general? "Everything being so PC", what are you even talking about? I'm seriously asking.

I've been screaming for years on here about returning to a regional touring model for the first month. I've also been screaming about seeding new corps in regions that are smaller. It's not like this subject hasn't been debated ad nauseum.

It's just sad that things have had to get to this point in order for the G7 to finally realize that they made some mistakes in killing off the regional circuits. It's trekking the country costs an extra $35k a week ... then you're doing something wrong (or did something wrong to make it that way in the first place). I hope they just accept this reality as a spoiled fruit of their wicked labors.

It's about time DCI and the G7 realize that segmentation and departure will only kill the activity far quicker. This should be an era of "UNITY AND GROWTH". That means sacrifice for the greater good ... not undercut in order to keep the status quo. I hope Hop's misleading statements are actually something he says to himself enough to actually start believing. There is a mission in place that has been disrespected for decades ........ that mission was what made DCI special ... and it's something that needs to be believed in like gospel. Now is the time.

Do you know anything about university music programs or universities in general? I'm seriously asking.

The last classes I took were in '98 for business. I was not in the music department. So to answer your question: No, I don't know how university music programs work. That's why I asked the questions- to get answers from the knowledgeable people here and gain the necessary information to understand the situation with an informed viewpoint.

Now that we've cleared that up... Do you have any answers to my questions?

Edited by RetiredJedi

I really thought someone might have at least 1 answer. Yesh...

with competitive marching bands being what they are...and many ARE NOT school funded and the kids have to fundraise their ##### off to pay for it...and then add in WGI and local circuits for percussion and guard...I just don't see becoming marching band curing the ills of the world.

I had to pay $500/season for my Marching Band- that plus expenses for trips we would take to a tournament far away like in Fresno or Vegas.

Can't they ADD a marching band category in DCI? Maintain Drum corps as it is and add a marching band category. I wouldn't mind that.

And who would pay for this? I don't think that could be sustainable without considerable burnout- if not from the parents' wallets but from the kid's-who-are-involved emotional reservoirs as well. I moved to Drum Corps in part because, I got sick of people saying in anger to me, "NOT EVERYONE IS AS DEDICATED AS YOU, MATT!!" I think you can pretty much guess why.

Do you know anything about university music programs or universities in general? "Everything being so PC", what are you even talking about? I'm seriously asking.

well, i would imagine if ABC state had a percussion ensemble, and a flute player wanted to join, they would be told their option is to learn percussion or no, you can't be in it

I had to pay $500/season for my Marching Band- that plus expenses for trips we would take to a tournament far away like in Fresno or Vegas.

And who would pay for this? I don't think that could be sustainable without considerable burnout- if not from the parents' wallets but from the kid's-who-are-involved emotional reservoirs as well. I moved to Drum Corps in part because, I got sick of people saying in anger to me, "NOT EVERYONE IS AS DEDICATED AS YOU, MATT!!" I think you can pretty much guess why.

they tried a summer marching band circuit. it failed spectacularly