If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

No hypothetical about it. From the attendance thread. There were 17,500 people at a championship show. There are 3-1 votes hating woodwinds in drum corps, from this thread. Take the 3/4s of 17,500 and you come up with 13,125 that hate woodwinds. Now take half away for people that don't care and you still have 6562 people that would hate drum corps. So who is hypothetical, a known number being divided by a known number, or your presumptions? If my math is off please enlighten me. I never claimed to be good at it.

Since woodwinds are not in DCI, it is a complete hypothetical. In fact, this whole thread is nothing but hypothetical. If you aren't gonna go to a DCI show because of woodwinds, I think you are missing the point of drum corps anyways.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, there were great uses of voice like Crown 2004, Cadets 2006 and 2007 among others. There have been good and bad uses of everything over the years, depending on your personal likes and dislikes.

If you thought Crown 04, Cadets 06 or 07 were great uses of voice.........I can't even relate to you. These are my least favorite 3 shows in the history of the activity because of their horrible use of voice. What a waste of really good corps! I would have liked to enjoy them but these annoying people wouldn't shut up and stop singing/talking/scat-rapping.

Crown 04, Cadets 06 or 07 ... These are my least favorite 3 shows in the history of the activity because of their horrible use of voice. What a waste of really good corps!

:guinesssmilie: Throw in Cadets 08 as worse than Crown 04 or Cadets 06, but yes and yes. Cadets 07 has been the absolute low point for voice thus far.

If you thought Crown 04, Cadets 06 or 07 were great uses of voice.........I can't even relate to you. These are my least favorite 3 shows in the history of the activity because of their horrible use of voice. What a waste of really good corps! I would have liked to enjoy them but these annoying people wouldn't shut up and stop singing/talking/scat-rapping.

Indeed... those shows were so good in other areas aside from their voice gimmicks, but the voice ruined at very least Crown 04 and Cadets 06. I didnt like cadets much in 06 until one show i heard them from an endzone, where you could hear the hornline in the ballad and not the singer (thanks to the more directional nature of the speakers)... so good.

Cadets 07 deserved to win, but not because the voice did anything, they just had a very solid corps that year.

Edited by AlexL

You know, every time this conversation comes around, I make a point that gets glossed over.

I used to repair horns.. winds, brass, all of them. I've even restrung a few fiddles.

A good pad job, done right takes a few hours. Now, how many people have seen those super-cool video montages that Tom Blair comes up with? It almost always includes shots of a corps performing in a CRAZY rainstorm. Like, where's the ark type rain.

Let's say for argument you have 30 woodwinds. Next, let's say your tour follows a front. Tonight in Dallas, TX for a driving rainstorm and tomorrow night in Pascagoula, MS in the exact same driving rainstorm.

You'll NEVER get 30 pad jobs done overnight.

Ok, let's say you're an enterprising director and you have a set of backup horns. Fine... revolving pad jobs for everyone. Still, you're not going to get 30 pad jobs done in two days or even (dare I say it) 10.

Ok, let's try some of the newfangled synthetics materials being used for pads out there. Still, they're highly expensive and still need to be replaced under the right conditions. Again, unable to be done in a DCI sort of time frame.

I can foresee if it ever gets approved, it'll be one in the pit or a small ensemble in the pit, but with the weather conditions corps see during the summer, I can't see woodwinds ever being practical.

Seriously, what are they gonna do? Stop rehearsal so the woodwinds can put their horns away and then march without while all the brass continues along as if nothing ever happened? I think it's

a. Too Expensive

b. Impractical

c. Distracting to the rest of the corps

d. Unnecessary

My arguments are much less history/tradition for this one. I just don't see it being able to be done in any appreciable way.

also, BD 05....GOD that was AWFUL

also, BD 05....GOD that was AWFUL

Yawza, I forgot that one!

You know, every time this conversation comes around, I make a point that gets glossed over.

I used to repair horns.. winds, brass, all of them. I've even restrung a few fiddles.

A good pad job, done right takes a few hours. Now, how many people have seen those super-cool video montages that Tom Blair comes up with? It almost always includes shots of a corps performing in a CRAZY rainstorm. Like, where's the ark type rain.

Let's say for argument you have 30 woodwinds. Next, let's say your tour follows a front. Tonight in Dallas, TX for a driving rainstorm and tomorrow night in Pascagoula, MS in the exact same driving rainstorm.

You'll NEVER get 30 pad jobs done overnight.

Ok, let's say you're an enterprising director and you have a set of backup horns. Fine... revolving pad jobs for everyone. Still, you're not going to get 30 pad jobs done in two days or even (dare I say it) 10.

Ok, let's try some of the newfangled synthetics materials being used for pads out there. Still, they're highly expensive and still need to be replaced under the right conditions. Again, unable to be done in a DCI sort of time frame.

I can foresee if it ever gets approved, it'll be one in the pit or a small ensemble in the pit, but with the weather conditions corps see during the summer, I can't see woodwinds ever being practical.

Seriously, what are they gonna do? Stop rehearsal so the woodwinds can put their horns away and then march without while all the brass continues along as if nothing ever happened? I think it's

a. Too Expensive

b. Impractical

c. Distracting to the rest of the corps

d. Unnecessary

My arguments are much less history/tradition for this one. I just don't see it being able to be done in any appreciable way.

Good point, hopefully good enough to keep it from becomming a reality.

Since woodwinds are not in DCI, it is a complete hypothetical. In fact, this whole thread is nothing but hypothetical. If you aren't gonna go to a DCI show because of woodwinds, I think you are missing the point of drum corps anyways.

It doesn't matter that woodwinds aren't in DCI. The numbers taken are actuals, not hypotheticals. Second point: what is the point of drum corps then? It seems that 3/4 of us don't know.

Edited by 84skyrydr

What if drum corps had always included WW? Are you saying you would not have joined because of the mere existence of a flute player?

You should never pay for something you dislike, of course, nor should you force yourself to attend a show if you are not entertained. But...you can only speak for yourself, not for these hypothetical 'thousands'.

Justifying your position by changing the reality of the situation is not a valid argument. What if ... does not equal WHY NOT.