If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

It doesn't matter that woodwinds aren't in DCI. The numbers taken are actuals, not hypotheticals. Second point: what is the point of drum corps then? It seems that 3/4 of us don't know.

But they aren't based on anything real, so no, they are not 'actual' in any sense of the world. DCP polls are not truly indicative of anything activity-wide, so your numbers are meaningless.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, Mike, Mike. Sorry man, you can't prove a negative.

All I know is that drum corps DIDN'T have flute players. I was in band and didn't like them marching then, although I didn't know why until I went to a DRUM & BUGLE CORPS show.

I'm pretty sure I'd not have gone had they had reeds of any sort.

Now, you're idea of micing the cellist to play Yo-Yo Ma? Pretty cool, especially if she blended in with the corps and the show wasn't designed around her.

Up4479, who I responded to, said he joined because it was brass and drums starting after WWI. So I asked him...what if drum corps had always had WW since WWI? If that was the only drum corps he would have known...would he have joined or not?

As for our cellist..she is amazing. And no, I have been careful to not make the show a cello concerto with band accomp. She even gets to do guard work for half the show.

this completely baffles me...I go to dci shows so I DON'T have to listen to woodwinds...maybe you are missing the point.

if I wanna hear woodwinds, I have other options...

once again...be gutsy and start your own organization, and let drum and bugle corps be....well, drum and bugles corps.

I don't really see the instruments on the field being the end all, be all purpose of drum corps, but you guys can think whatever you want. No skin off my back.

no one seemed to complain when the Bluecoats had saxophones in a couple of their shows in the 90s. So therefor woodwinds have been on the field for a little under 2 decades in DCI and no one has seemed to complain at all about it. So technically this rule has already been passed and thus been used way before everyone got their p##ties in a knot. If you wanted to stop supporting cuzz of WW, you're extremely late. Now as for having it make a sound on the field, there's your argument

Read the last line!!! lol. It won't pass since woodwinds are way more expensive to keep in good shape esp. outdoors. Trust me, I know, I'm a sax player in jazz groups which have to play clarinet and flute in big band charts along with other things. It just wouldn't work in drum corps. I switched to brass because I wanted to march bad enough (which I did for 5years). And if any woodwind player wants to march bad enough, they can and should do the same. I sure wouldn't have wanted to march corps if it wasn't all brass and percussion for the instrumentation. The sound of a brass section playing is a unique and beautiful one and there fore it should stay that way.

I don't really see the instruments on the field being the end all, be all purpose of drum corps, but you guys can think whatever you want. No skin off my back.

what should be my "end all purpose of drum corps"? I'm 44 and have no children marching. That makes me a FAN. What allows the drum corps to continue doing what they do? The FAN.

You know what drum corps is without fans? see answer below....

what should be my "end all purpose of drum corps"? I'm 44 and have no children marching. That makes me a FAN. What allows the drum corps to continue doing what they do? The FAN.

yep. the continued push of older fans out the door has caught up to DCI.

sure it's about the kids in many ways. but it's also about the fans...cause they help pay the bills.

But they aren't based on anything real, so no, they are not 'actual' in any sense of the world. DCP polls are not truly indicative of anything activity-wide, so your numbers are meaningless.

Yeah, your right. People say what they want in a poll and it doesn't mean anything. They all lie anyway. Keep that head in the sand, it will all blow over. So people that voted,YOU ARE NOT REAL. :guinesssmilie:

Eh, they don't need YOU as a fan, just like they don't need ME as a fan to survive as an activity. I see you like the instrumentation just as it is, I wouldn't be bothered by the addition of woodwinds. I don't see why everyone is so worked up by what I'm saying, it's really not that shocking :guinesssmilie: