PR Conductors

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PR holds open auditions for all of their drum major spots. You do not have to be a previous member to be one. All three of them this year were rookies in the corps. Only one of them had any drum corps experience (mello player for Crown in '09).

I find that incredibly interesting and commendable at the same time. It's rare to see a member of a 2nd place corps leave for last years 9th place corps.

On the surface, it looks like an incredible opportunity to get the experience of being a conductor/drum major ... let alone one for PR (big honor in my book). Then I thought, well maybe this was a geographic thing? Maybe financial? Maybe they didn't enjoy the experience at Crown ... or maybe they just wanted to be a part of the PR tradition .... even better .. they just wanted a more rounded drum corps experience by trying something new and different.

Regardless of the "why", I think it's a great experience for the individual. Being in a position of leadership with 140ish people following your lead is a huge responsibility .. and it also gives you tremendous insight on how a drum corps actually runs and operates (depending on which corps you're involved with). I know most from my era were extremely against corps hopping ( aka ring chasing ... even if that's not what you were doing), but I think it's more widely accepted today without asking a ton of questions.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I've always thought that the DMs should come from the veteran membership. I find it much easier to respect someone I've worked well with already.

There ... SEE .. we finally agree on something! :beer:

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

They call their drum majors conductors. Usually they have one main and either one or two assistant conductors. The assistants switch podiums, but rarely go to the front and center podium, I can't help you with the names, sorry though.

And the use of the batons is a lonf held tradition, as it is a big part of their classical music identity. Santa Clara has used one lately as well, as it fits the music better. And yes, from the field, you can still see the baton.

Conductors. Is that like calling your staff "faculty", and the members "students"? :beer:

Just because you see it, does not mean you follow it.

Well, it is generally smart to follow the conductor. Just usual good sense in an ensemble.