Disconnect between recaps and awards announced

Since the DCA rule book is pretty much made up by the directors of the member corps, I just don't see how this one got passed. Considering the rule change in A Class, this one for Open Class makes no sense.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that the logic behind averaging prelims & finals scores for a caption placement is to eliminate or at least reduce the odds of ties in placement. With the caption having less points for which to assign a value, I would think ties within a caption a rather common occurrence.

I am unfamiliar with how the DCA sheets are laid out, but might using a GE brass score or the equivalent be a more acceptable tie breaker? Shouldn't the brass caption award reflect that night's score? Once you start averaging then you open up a can of worms. Why not average both overall performances to get a 'true' champion? Fair? Yes, Popular? Not so much.

It seems that the 'heads up racing' approach would be more popular with prelims only serving to trim the field for the next round.

OK, so the logic of this escapes me.

Awards for Class A were changed away from Prelims to results from Finals only.

But, somehow Prelims for Open need to be taken into account for Awards at Finals?

All Prelims are used for is to say which corps make up the Top 10, and to stand in for Finals in case of an emergency (a la 1987). The corps that make Finals use Prelims as a chance for their final tweaks.

Using Prelims to help determine awards at Finals is like saying, "OK, now we'll use the results from Syracuse to help determine the awards at Scranton." Finals and Prelims are two different shows.

Unless you're in 11th, Prelims don't mean anything vis a vis Finals. Just like West Haven has nothing to do with Finals either.

I was wondering about that last year - When Hurricanes won Guard and another group won @ finals I believe.........

I would think that the logic behind averaging prelims & finals scores for a caption placement is to eliminate or at least reduce the odds of ties in placement. With the caption having less points for which to assign a value, I would think ties within a caption a rather common occurrence.

I am unfamiliar with how the DCA sheets are laid out, but might using a GE brass score or the equivalent be a more acceptable tie breaker? Shouldn't the brass caption award reflect that night's score? Once you start averaging then you open up a can of worms. Why not average both overall performances to get a 'true' champion? Fair? Yes, Popular? Not so much.

It seems that the 'heads up racing' approach would be more popular with prelims only serving to trim the field for the next round.

numbers management should eliminate ties. tho in the brass caption, i didnt see much management.

the rule is the rule. This year it benefited some corps and didn't benefit others. When I was in the Bushwackers, we won drums at finals six years in a row. This year, Reading tied that record as they "tied" for high percussion. But if you look at the recap, Minnesota won drums at finals. It seems like there should be an asterisk next to that record in the record books (lol, as if there's an actual book somewhere!)

This is a follow of what DCI does...the caption awards are averaged over Quarter finals, Semi finals and Finals. The corps directors vote on this stuff at the rules congress every two years I believe, so it their rule.

DA

well, some rules were made to be changed. this is one of them :guinesssmilie:

Agreed.