It's Silly Season!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, I don't know who one could hire that would do that (keep the program at a Rennick level), so the point may just be moot.

True. Rennick's replacement will obviously have mighty large shoes to fill, and it's a bit unfair to expect the same caliber of talent. The interesting thing now, IMO, is to see if kids were coming to Phantom's drum line because of Rennick and will follow him to SCV, or were kids coming to Phantom for Phantom and the corps will continue to draw high caliber percussion talent.

Here's hoping for the best

True. Rennick's replacement will obviously have mighty large shoes to fill, and it's a bit unfair to expect the same caliber of talent. The interesting thing now, IMO, is to see if kids were coming to Phantom's drum line because of Rennick and will follow him to SCV, or were kids coming to Phantom for Phantom and the corps will continue to draw high caliber percussion talent.

there were certainly drummers going to Regiment because of Rennick. SCV will get more auditionees because he is now there...no doubt.

The colors of the uniforms...even the towns they are in do not matter...it's the instructor a student gets to work with...that's what matters.

If you look at where many of Phantom's battery came from you might get a good sense if they might follow him to SCV. My guess is a good number are from UNT.

That would be a HUGE blow to Spirit.

wow !!!

If you look at the drum numbers, Spirit's percussion scores were not much above the other captions since Gwaltney was there. With all the new staff coming to Spirit last year, maybe new percussion blood will help them out as well. Yes, Gwaltney was one of the more consistent parts of the staff but it seems a huge stretch for taking over the percussion caption that won last year and two years prior to that. We all know if Spirit placed higher the drum scores would be higher, but after four years with the same drum staff, why did the perc program not take off?

I also think that until this past season, the writing was not very drum corps appropriate and was too indoor and too anticlimatic. Maybe there has been some education going on and Gwaltney will continue to find his corps style. The classical nature of Regiment's music also seems very different from what he knows. I hope for the best for Spirit and Regiment, but seems like a long stretch from the two levels.

Edited by westcoastblue

Why do you say that? It wasnt like the percussion section was leaps ans bounds better than the rest of the corps.

Spirit's music scores from semi finals;

brass 16.6 15th place

ens mus 16.6 16th place

perc 16.6 15th place.

No disrespect to Mr Gwaltney but it appears that Spirit was a well balanced 6th place corps across the board. I am sure he can be replaced with an arranger/ caption head that can maintain 15th place. It's apparent the MCM kids didnt follow him to Spirit.

Now Phantom, that is a different story.

That would be a HUGE blow to Spirit.

wow !!!

Why do you say that? It wasnt like the percussion section was leaps ans bounds better than the rest of the corps.

Spirit's music scores from semi finals;

brass 16.6 15th place

ens mus 16.6 16th place

perc 16.6 15th place.

No disrespect to Mr Gwaltney but it appears that Spirit was a well balanced 6th place corps across the board. I am sure he can be replaced with an arranger/ caption head that can maintain 15th place. It's apparent the MCM kids didnt follow him to Spirit.

Now Phantom, that is a different story.

I hope Spirit won't look for someone to maintain 16th, not that this is what you are saying. MCM members will probably be more willing to go to Phantom and some vets may stay with PR because of corps loyalty. I think the corps/outdoor experiences and writing experiences brought to the table are the big issues. The indoor stuff and outdoor stuff have some things in common, but also many differences, certainly with a style like Phantom's. Again, best to all involved!

Spirit's music scores from quarters

------------------ 2010 -------- 2009 ------ 2008 ------------ 2007

brass -------- 16th place -- 19th place --- 14th place -- 14th place

ens mus ----- 16th place -- 18th place --- 15th place -- 14th place

perc --------- 15th place. -- 15th place --- 11th place --- 11th place

2007-2010 SPIRIT'S strength was at percussion.

Edited by FanofNight

Mitch Rogers has resigned from the Troopers according to his FB.

My guess is Dean Westman, Gordon Henderson, Dan Wiles and maybe Ralph H. will follow soon after.

Any word from Casper? Especially since the entire staff roster page has been wiped clean at their website with a "Check back soon for the complete 2011 staff roster" announcement.