Corps names that wouldn't work today

Oshkosh WI Warriors, 1969 World Open Class B champs by a huge margin. Original sponsors were Kiwanis Club and the YMCA.

All right now I know what K-Y stands for. :dontgetit:

And regarding 20&4, the 40 et 8/40&8 refers to the WWI term that a railroad boxcar can hold 40 men and 8 horses. The 40&8 groups of AL Posts was the "fun" part of the Post and have seen mentions of 40&8 fun parades in the 30s and 40s at AL Nationals. One of the local Harrisburg Posts (Oblerlin? Bressler?) had a 40 et 8 club up until at the least the 60s. Remember it because Westshore practiced at their picnic grounds in 1985 one time (can't remember why). Wonder if the female 20 - 4 was a take off of the 40&8.

And Brian, have a recording of Sleepy Eye playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" from 1953 or so. Very advanced for the era IMO.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And Brian, have a recording of Sleepy Eye playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" from 1953 or so. Very advanced for the era IMO.

Yeah, Jim, that was "Pinky's" doing. He was a legitimate music guy, back in an era when they were rare in drum corps.

I just found out some info on "Pinky" Schroepfer that I never knew before. He composed the famous "Clarinet Polka", which is one of the most popular polka tunes in existence. Apparently he was an arranger for Woopee John Wilfahrt, who had the top polka band in the USA in the 1940s and 1950s. (They used to introduce the band by saying, "And now Whoopee John Wilfahrt....and his band will play.") :dontgetit:

Pinky was inducted into the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame. His son came to my house about 25 years ago, and gave me a box load of Sleepy Eye drum corps stuff, including original judging sheets from the 1940s and 1950s, and one of Pinky's original musical charts.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Mighty Midgets (CT)

Hey Brian ... Mighty Midgets? ... from CT? ... can't say I remember ever hearing that name ... even for the old "feeder" corps in the 50's and 60's ... any info on them?

:-)

So Glassmen should now be known as Glasspeople.

Anything ending in "men"..... :dontgetit:

s/ Guy who was around when the corps went co-ed and the corps song had to be changed.....

LOL - actually found the Booma Post when I was on vacation. Even stopped the car for a picture while my wife was wondering "Now What?".

Hey Brian ... Mighty Midgets? ... from CT? ... can't say I remember ever hearing that name ... even for the old "feeder" corps in the 50's and 60's ... any info on them?

The Mighty Midgets were from Milford. Given their name they undoubtedly were a feeder corps. (It's quite possible that they were parade-only.) The name Midgets seems to have been used more freely in those days for young kids' units.

The Mighty Midgets were from Milford. Given their name they undoubtedly were a feeder corps. (It's quite possible that they were parade-only.) The name Midgets seems to have been used more freely in those days for young kids' units.

I dunno ... the only Jr Corps from Milford was the Shoreliners who were a PAL corps ... the Mighty Midgets sounds like a common name for Pop Warner football teams in this area ... maybe Ace Holleran remembers and will chime in ...

The Mighty Midgets are one of the thousands of drum & bugle corps that have been documented as existing during the 20th century. The list I compiled appears in Volume 1 of the Drum Corps World History Book. I'm fairly certain they were active WAY back. They may have been a Cub Scout or elementary school unit.

Some of these corps were literally active just long enough to make an appearance at a school function or parade. (That explains the thrown-together name of the organization.) If you weren't around at just the right time, you NEVER saw them.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Custer's Brigade from Illinois. I always thought that was a real different name for a drum corps even when they were in existence back in the 1960s. I don't remember them faring much better in the drum corps activity than the original Custer's Brigade did fighting out West.

Also, I think it would be quite shocking to see a Klu Klux Klan Drum and Bugle Corps today. They did exist early in the 20th Century. Not a good idea today!

The Mighty Midgets are one of the thousands of drum & bugle corps that have been documented as existing during the 20th century. The list I compiled appears in Volume 1 of the Drum Corps World History Book. I'm fairly certain they were active WAY back. They may have been a Cub Scout or elementary school unit.

Some of these corps were literally active just long enough to make an appearance at a school function or parade. (That explains the thrown-together name of the organization.) If you weren't around at just the right time, you NEVER saw them.

Okay ... thanks for he history lesson ... WAY back is a lot further than I go ... thanks for all you do and the archives you've been able to assemble ...

It's amazing how many of these corps were "flash-in-the-pan" units. Luckily somebody wrote about them some place, or somebody (most likely a parent) was there to take a photo, to document the moment for posterity. I've often wondered how many more corps were out there that nobody outside of the organization ever knew about.