Keeping the City (or State)

The Cascades dropped the "Seattle" a couple years back, citing that the reference to the city may be conceived as an organization limiting within the city of Seattle.

In 2007, Mike Leone was the director and the organization shortened its' moniker to "The Cascades" removing Seattle. The performers were now coming from the entire northwestern United States and beyond. The organization wanted to support the entire Northwest region and redeveloped its' parent organization as the Northwest Youth Music Association.

I wonder why are corps less willing to attach themselves with a particular city/state. Look back to the 50s to 70s, the plethora of local corps really brought a lot of characters when it came to the title of the corps.

Current DCI corps with name/place attachment:

Jersey Surf

Madison Scouts

Oregon Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Racine Scouts

Spokane Thunder

Spirit of Newark/NJ

Edited by watersling

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At a guess, I'd say it's because BITD the community supported these corps, and that's just not the case anymore unfortunately.

The Cascades dropped the "Seattle" a couple years back, citing that the reference to the city may be conceived as an organization limiting within the city of Seattle.

I wonder why are corps less willing to attach themselves with a particular city/state. Look back to the 50s to 70s, the plethora of local corps really brought a lot of characters when it came to the title of the corps.

Current DCI corps with name/place attachment

Jersey Surf

Madison Scouts

Oregon Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Racine Scouts

Spokane Thunder

Spirit of Newark/NJ

Current DCI corps with name/place attachment:

Jersey Surf

Madison Scouts

Oregon Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Racine Scouts

Spirit of Newark/NJ

I removed "Thunder" from your list. Unfortunately it is true that corps are removing their name attachments to places to get support from larger areas. They don't need to do that at all though, I mean look at Madison/Crown/SCV. And Boston is the best example, they NEVER rehearse in MA anymore yet they keep their name (in fact before they changed it to that from a name that did not link them to a specific area).

I started marching with the Black Knights, who anyone would tell you were from Belleville, IL. When I marched, though, we were officially from Swansea, IL, which is a suburb of Belleville. They had also at one time been from Fairview Heights, and probably from some other local places as well.

The reason I was given, was that at different times different townships provided sweeter deals than others. So some corps (or at least ours) treated locations like sponsors and shopped around for the best deal.

I'm from Chicagoland and growing up knew all about Madison, Rockford, and Rosemont, but would never have heard of Bergen County, NJ had it not been for that Cadets of Whatever they were calling themselves at the moment.

George Hopkins was completely spot on when he complained that the Cadets werent being recognized for the attention they brought to the already glamorous Garden State.

Edited by shostahoosier

check the Crossmen and where they were from during the 70s and 80s it would go from Phily, Bensalem, West Chester, and even somewhere in Delaware from year to year.

Partly, I'd guess it's because many members are not from that city. I know someone who marched two years at Blue Stars who has never been to LaCrosse in their life. You can't expect someone to have a commitment to a place their not from, let alone a place they've never been. And you can still be committed to your corps without being committed to the corps' home town.

Personally, I'd like to see programs say "This corps is represented by the following states:" and then list out where all of the members are from. I marched a corps from Denver and I marched a corps from Diamond Bar, but both years I felt proud that I was a Las Vegas native who was marching drum corps (for this city, that's huge!).

I am really getting tired of this old argument. Todays drum corps is really no different than semi or professional sports teams. How many players who play for the Green Bay Packers are from Green Bay. How many semi pro or professional teams have even one player who may be from the state or even country they are located in. I see drum corps as being no different. A community can take pride in an organization which is not necessarly made up of people directly from the city. I know for a fact that the people of La Crosse are very proud of the Blue Stars and by and large have been quite supportive of them for many years. La Crosse is still the place where the Blue Stars corporate offices are, continue to use La Crosse vendors for numerous purcheses and continue to contribute to the pride of the city. I find it amazing how this discussion never is discussed when it comes to sports teams, but when talking about drum corps for some reason all the members and activities the coprs participates in need to come from the community they say they are from.

Edited by brians

I am really getting tired of this old argument. Todays drum corps is really no different than semi or professional sports teams. How many players who play for the Green Bay Packers are from Green Bay. How many semi pro or professional teams have even one player who may be from the state or even country they are located in. I see drum corps as being no different. A community can take pride in an organization which is not necessarly made up of people directly from the city. I know for a fact that the people of La Crosse are very proud of the Blue Stars and by and large have been quite supportive of them for many years. La Crosse is still the place where the Blue Stars corporate offices are, continue to use La Crosse vendors for numerous purcheses and continue to contribute to the pride of the city. I find it amazing how this discussion never is discussed when it comes to sports teams, but when talking about drum corps for some reason all the members need to come from the community they say they are from.

Actually, most professional athletes buy a home and move to the city where they play. they may also keep a home in their original city for the off season, but during the season they live in the city they play in.