Changes at SCV

I can't believe this brass change.. nobody cares about this mythical "tone quality" business anymore. Everyone's right, holding the brass line to a higher standard than it's ever had in its 33 years of existence is going to destroy the organization. I guess we need to all sing a good-bye song to the leaf-blower sounds we all know and love and hello to these "quality, characteristic tones"... Who cares, give me a break. Fundamentals.. Points of reference. It's all garbage nonsense that nobody understands. Pointless.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...that's the testosterone thing...getting someone to 'man up', as many of you would say, and treat this board like they might a face to face meeting.

But that's not what happens on the computer. Read the comments after any controversial news story and you'll see what I mean - on-line posters wallowing in their anonymity (yes...I see the irony, as I post here anonymously...) and venting their spleen...and every other organ in need of venting...all over whatever page to which they post.

I think we all would do well to let those folks who have SOOOOO much invested in being contentious just sit there in their underoos, wishing someone would fight with them.

They want the fight...and only we can thwart them!

...so, what's wrong with puttin' out your name? I'll say the same thing either way, so I might as well let folks know who's behind the opinion...whatcha gonna do, send me to Viet Nam? Sheesh...

cg

I can't believe this brass change.. nobody cares about this mythical "tone quality" business anymore. Everyone's right, holding the brass line to a higher standard than it's ever had in its 33 years of existence is going to destroy the organization. I guess we need to all sing a good-bye song to the leaf-blower sounds we all know and love and hello to these "quality, characteristic tones"... Who cares, give me a break. Fundamentals.. Points of reference. It's all garbage nonsense that nobody understands. Pointless.

:tongue: :tongue:

I think that's a good way to start. And dude, REALLY?????? What are you smoking? Since when did tone quality become a bad thing? You really think that using the fundamentals of music will ruin a brass line and an organization? I'm pretty sure people care about musicality and tone quality more than the ever have in the past. Teaching people to play an instrument the way it's supposed to be played, play them musically, play them right? I'm pretty sure that's the job description for brass caption head....

I really think that adding David Clemmer will be a big help to SCV. They've started playing far more musically in the past two years than they have in years, and I really think this will be the next step towards an Ott for the first time in 20 or so years. Congrats to them!

Pssh.. musicality? You're forgetting what's really important in music - not MUSICality, but DYNAMICS - LOUDNESS, EARPOPPING NOISE! Bach knew this. Beethoven knew this. Mozart knew this. Noise is what makes music music, not all these hoshposhy mumbojumbo fundamentals. Who cares about quality when you have emotional noise? You can't possibly have emotion in your music with this "tone quality" garbage.

Pssh.. musicality? You're forgetting what's really important in music - not MUSICality, but DYNAMICS - LOUDNESS, EARPOPPING NOISE! Bach knew this. Beethoven knew this. Mozart knew this. Noise is what makes music music, not all these hoshposhy mumbojumbo fundamentals. Who cares about quality when you have emotional noise? You can't possibly have emotion in your music with this "tone quality" garbage.

Oh really now? So dynamics are the only thing that mattered? Guessing you really haven't listened much to any of those composers, because they knew how to make music, beautiful music, without having to just resort to volume. And now go listen to Crown from last year, or SCV and tell me that they don't have emotion and tone quality? Seriously dude, are you tone deaf? Because if all you care about is volume over any kind of musicality, I feel really sorry for you.

Fail troll is fail.

Fail troll is fail.

True. I feel kind of stupid for falling for it, but when someone tries starting something against SCV, I get a little intense about it.

<so, what's wrong with puttin' out your name?>

Here's a good reason:

http://austinsthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/...ial-networking/

I'm something of a throwback - no cell phone, no facebook, no myspace (is ANYONE on myspace?)...mostly just work, kids, dogs, and more TV than I should admit to...

And when I come here...I'd rather not have anything I write follow me forever, and ever, and ever, and ever...

You get the point -