Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

The weekend-only model will produce less excellence as compared to a nationally touring, consistently competing World Class ensemble. This will lead to further stratification, a problem we don't need to amplify. We can't manage to keep the "top acts" from throwing Open Class under the bus; there is no way DCI can offer a touring model which competes directly with DCA's model. And in any case, I don't believe any of this to be justification for raising the age-out limit, a number which seems to be defined by the social act of graduating from an institution of higher education and pursuing a career which involves working during the summer months.

If you want to march drum corps after aging out of the ELITE of the ELITE, you can march in a DCA drum corps and have an entirely different enriching experience, I'm sure. I have not marched DCA but I'm sure it offers many similar benefits. One of those benefits is not, however, 24-7 exposure to the individuals in the corps for three months.

And to be fair, I'd be wary of allowing a 14 year old to march in a DCA corps with a higher average age. That is only my opinion, however.

DCI has weekend corps now. See Jersey Surf. Pretty successful too.

DCA might improve with added competition.

Maybe DCA could use some competition...it's always a good thing...right? Competition breeding excellence and all. Also, DCA doesn't have their main event out of the NorthEast and has very little representation in some areas of the country. So, why does it have to be A or B? Why can't DCI have an all age division, an alumni division?

honestly...because it's not in DCI's Charter

• Like 1

Neither were Bb horns and electronics, but they somehow appeared

neither affect the 501C status of being a youth activity. All age and alumni isn't exactly youth

neither affect the 501C status of being a youth activity. All age and alumni isn't exactly youth

What does the IRS say about 'youth'.... seems more and more anyone under 25 is considered youth, whether it be for car insurance\rental, tax credits (cant get some unless youre over or under 25), etc. I wouldnt necessarily say someone who's 25 is youth (im not), but id say someone who is in their 4th\5th year of school probably is.

Edited by AlexL

Hey Jeff. And I just don't know the answer to this. DCA is all ages...I keep hearing this. So am I to assume there are no lower age limits in DCA. I mean an 11 year old could march and it would not be against the rules? Again, this might have been covered somewhere..I am claiming ignorance. I know...surprise? Huh? Yeah, it's me...not someone else logged into my account.

individual corps may have rules. I believe I marched next to a 13 year old in 96 in a few sets. Jeff Wilt, later a great sporano soloist for Westshore, Bluecoats, Steel City and maybe someone else started at 13.

What does the IRS say about 'youth'.... seems more and more anyone under 25 is considered youth, whether it be for car insurance\rental, tax credits (cant get some unless youre over or under 25), etc. I wouldnt necessarily say someone who's 25 is youth (im not), but id say someone who is in their 4th\5th year of school probably is.

I would imagine DCI's charter is set up differently than a car rental agency's rental policies.

exactly what this country needs...another 3-4 years of zero tax liability voters...

Yet, when most are starting college they can be drafted, and in their second or third year they can buy liquor. Just because they're still going to school at 24 or 25 they're still "youts". Don't think so.