Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

... If a 25-year old gets lucky with a 17-year old, there goes your job and likely your corps.

All over winning a game of cards?

• Like 2

DCUK did this in the 1980s, moved from 21 to all age.... DCI to DCA of you like. It was done for all the wrong reasons and ultimately sent DCUK on a downward spiral it's never recovered from.

DCI is a youth organisation..... end of.

• Like 1

DCI also excludes young adults in the 27-31....32-36...37-41...42-46...47-51. All of those are younger than me, so they qualify as 'young adults!' :thumbup:

For better or worse... me too, Mike!

No intimate fraternization with minors. If I'm not mistaken, most DCA corps are VERY specific about that.

• 4 years later...

I believe the ageout limit should be raised to 24. Many of those who march, college students in particular, have erroneous amounts of obligatory academic classes/internships/student teaching requirements they must fulfill in order to graduate. Which is what for many people subsequently prevents them from marching their last year or two of eligibility. Many college students aren't finishing in 3-4 years anymore. Especially music majors, who take 4-6 years pending upon the amount of hours/student teaching investments they must make in order to graduate in a timely manner and begin their careers. I know many students who wanted dearly to march their last year or two but unfortunately couldn't due to the large amount of requirements they had to complete in order to graduate. If the circuit were more tailored to suit this circumstance, I think most individuals would benefit tremendously. I don't see much of an internal issue with extending the ageout limit a mere 3 years. I think in the long term, it would open more opportunities for more people to march and allow the activity to grow. With all the new recent additions of more open class corps in the past few years alone, younger kids 14-18 are marching, which would open up more opportunities for world class membership.

I believe college students should finish their studies and get into the real world, not prolong the amount of time they are paying tens of thousands of dollars and building up loans that will have to be paid back.

I know people that take breaks from school to march DCI or WGI (some end up not finishing)... I think these people are incredibly misguided, but it is their life.

• Like 1