Mini Corps Rules?

Kansan

My question is, based on the rules posted, how did Star United qualify? Did all of their members march in a DCA corps in the past? I see where the OP would find these rules are an issue, as the area he is from has never had any DCA corps anywhere close to them. How can he grow his organization if they can get in the door?

Why do people keep asking this? Star Alumni's record is well known... and being out again this past summer reinforced it... are you asking us to be like Tony Schlecta of the VFW and demanding birth certificates and drum corps pedigree of each member... you would not like my answer to that... but let's just politely say that this kind of activity is exactly what caused DCA (and DCI) to be formed... Won't happen... period end of story...

whether we're in the back woods on the shore of Lake Ontario in Hilton NY or marching down Broadway... we seem to have no problem telling drum corps from bands... even with Bb brass... as the one poster pointed out, Mr. Pronti sent a clear message to a fireman's marching band - which by the way has its roots in the Rochester Crusaders and has members of St. Joe's marching in it... but it's still a fireman's band... there are quite a few in the Rochester area... very entertaining in parades, but clearly - as said by Dick Pronti - NOT eligible for any DCA competition. I see nothing wrong with that... we have to do something to protect "drum corps" as we know it even though it will evolve whether we like it or not...

So we have a loose rule for participation that will clearly allow DCA to decide who and who will not be allowed to compete... that seems pretty good to me... and if you wish to compete and are not sure if you qualify... contact dick pronti... he'll tell you... and that's it... is that so hard?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep asking this? Star Alumni's record is well known... and being out again this past summer reinforced it... are you asking us to be like Tony Schlecta of the VFW and demanding birth certificates and drum corps pedigree of each member... you would not like my answer to that... but let's just politely say that this kind of activity is exactly what caused DCA (and DCI) to be formed... Won't happen... period end of story...

whether we're in the back woods on the shore of Lake Ontario in Hilton NY or marching down Broadway... we seem to have no problem telling drum corps from bands... even with Bb brass... as the one poster pointed out, Mr. Pronti sent a clear message to a fireman's marching band - which by the way has its roots in the Rochester Crusaders and has members of St. Joe's marching in it... but it's still a fireman's band... there are quite a few in the Rochester area... very entertaining in parades, but clearly - as said by Dick Pronti - NOT eligible for any DCA competition. I see nothing wrong with that... we have to do something to protect "drum corps" as we know it even though it will evolve whether we like it or not...

So we have a loose rule for participation that will clearly allow DCA to decide who and who will not be allowed to compete... that seems pretty good to me... and if you wish to compete and are not sure if you qualify... contact dick pronti... he'll tell you... and that's it... is that so hard?

why not abolish the rule then :angel1:

OK, so now I am totally confused :spitting: .

So, here is one easy question: Does the OP's group qualify as a mini-corps or not? I am not trying to be an a**. I am only interested as I come from another "drum corps wasteland" and would also like to start a minicorps. BUT, I am not going to go through all of the effort it requires and then be told "sorry, Dick says no". If I have people who have marched in several different junior corps many years ago, and other people that have only been in marching bands, but we call ourselves "Brand X All-age Drum and Bugle Corps", will we qualify??? Inquiring minds want to know.

OK, so now I am totally confused :spitting: .

So, here is one easy question: Does the OP's group qualify as a mini-corps or not? I am not trying to be an a**. I am only interested as I come from another "drum corps wasteland" and would also like to start a minicorps. BUT, I am not going to go through all of the effort it requires and then be told "sorry, Dick says no". If I have people who have marched in several different junior corps many years ago, and other people that have only been in marching bands, but we call ourselves "Brand X All-age Drum and Bugle Corps", will we qualify??? Inquiring minds want to know.

May I suggest you re-read Rule #1 with reference to I&E at DCA as MiniCorps' participants fall under the same pervue. Just sayin...........

Yes OP could compete. When you form an organization that is "all age" you can compete.

Let me use the Kansas group this way. They marched in several parades as and "All Age Corps" Say they had 10 horns. When horn player 11 and 12 come in they are now member of a PRESENT "all age " Corps.

"Sine Wave" formed a group with some Jr Alumni and some with no DC experience. "Sine Wave" is an All AGe Corps even if none of them had prior Corps experience, so any member marching with them becomes legal.

Now when we discuss individuals the rule prohibits people with no "ALL AGE" experience. The DCA I&E contest is not meant to be America Has Talent Contest.

As Tom stated drop me an E-mail if you have a doubt that your organization is legal.

Thanks Dick. I think I get it now. All we have to do is start performing as an all-age corps, even if just in parades, and we would be eligible for the DCA mini-corps competition at Championships.

Now comes the hard part: Making it to Rochester or Maryland :spitting: .

thanks Dick

sure did take us a long time to get to this point.... lol

I agree. While I understand the intent explained by Mr. Peashey, I don't think it's necessary.

Say a group of current DCI kids wanted to form a minicorps. If they're willing to put in the effort and money and entertain the DCA audience.... why not? The more the merrier -- let a thousand flowers bloom. If they have a great experience and come back, then we've successfully added to the numbers of performers (and probably performance quality and audience numbers, too).

DCA is great because it recognizes the activity in multiple variations; so eliminate all background requirements. We don't need to protect the scoring placements of middle age corps members, which is all the rule really seems to do. I would urge DCA to remove all age/membership restrictions -- which has the potential of growing and improving all aspects of this activity.

At the very least I don't think you would have to twist any arms to get DCA to allow you to do minicorps in exhibition. Just ask ahead of time and be nice and I am sure they would welcome you as long as the program is not full.

Before we start there will be no exhibitions at the Mini Corps event. Every year we get between 5 to 10 who want to exhibit. Beside the schedualing restrictions, I was assked by a group of many Corps not to allow anymore exhibitions. There was a time when the Mini had the stage then were upstaged by full Corps exhibiting, they ask that that doesn't happen again.

I think we have a pretty good night of entertainment with Competitors.

Before we start there will be no exhibitions at the Mini Corps event. Every year we get between 5 to 10 who want to exhibit. Beside the schedualing restrictions, I was assked by a group of many Corps not to allow anymore exhibitions. There was a time when the Mini had the stage then were upstaged by full Corps exhibiting, they ask that that doesn't happen again.

I think we have a pretty good night of entertainment with Competitors.

Who would want to exhibit when competing is possible? Traveling half way across the country to just exhibit would not be worth the dollars expended.

Edited by Kansan