George Parks

Jeff Weir of the US Naval Academy D&B Corps just posted on Facebook:

"Deepest condolences to the UMass Power and Class, past and present... RIP George Parks"

I asked what happened; he replied:

"Details still coming in... died suddenly while on the road with the band to Michigan... UMass-Michigan tomorrow at noon... unbelievable..."

Edited by JimBurnell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A major loss to all.

Fair winds and following seas.

Ahhh crap. I remember George in 87...a total performer withe the Bucs...and handed a mace like nobody's business...including a sky high toss and catch in the beat....in the rain.

RIP George....legions of drum majors owe you....your legacy will live on.

Article about the death.

I'm absolutely stunned. I knew George and he was as youthful as the university members he taught. I remember joking with him after seeing him conduct a standstill performance with his band at the BOA Grand Nationals outdoor preview at night. He was in the air, on his knees and whatever else was necessary to extract the emotion from the kids, and when I interviewed him immediately after, he wasn't puffing at all.

He was also a true gentleman.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but his enthusiasm and charisma were legendary and it seemed like everyone had a story about him.

I can still remember reading his book, The Dynamic Drum Major, to prepare for my high school drum major audition long before I had any idea what DCA or the Reading Buccaneers were.

Deepest condolences on behalf of the Sun Devils to the thousands affected by this loss.

This is absolutely shocking and horrible news to wake up to. An iconic figure in the marching activity, in drum corps, in DCA and in the Bucs family is gone. He had a huge impact on so many people, and the world is a much poorer place now.

I was a college-age student of his Drum Major Academy fifteen years before I was a Buccaneer. It was an honor to be associated with him in both worlds and we will miss him very, very much. One of the last pictures I took in Rochester a couple weeks ago was of George and Jim Gruber sharing an embrace on the field after retreat. I'll treasure that image always, and share it below.

As arrangements become available, I'll post them here as necessary.

Thank you for everything, Mr. Parks. We love you and we honor you.

"We're all good men...."

59477_482320567064_23986517064_6423391_3395323_s.jpg

Edited by TomMoore

I'm sitting here at work reading this and I can't even think.

Maybe no human body could house all that intensity.

I was just commenting on George on the DCA personality thread - the most intense performer I ever saw - perhaps not the best conductor - but I think that's a question of taste, but in my opinion going away the best drum major I ever encountered.

Man...

Wow, this certainly is a stunner. I can still see him in the Bucs' 1980 show. Unforgettable.

I'm sitting here at work reading this and I can't even think.

Maybe no human body could house all that intensity.

I was just commenting on George on the DCA personality thread - the most intense performer I ever saw - perhaps not the best conductor - but I think that's a question of taste, but in my opinion going away the best drum major I ever encountered.

Man...