George Parks

I was stunned to hear this news yesterday, Just having been with George at DCA Finals. The music world has lost a great CHAMPION of the Arts! His UMass bands produced some great teachers and arrangers. His drum major camps produced a lot of fine talent. He was and will always be a Buccaneer, as he has said . He commanded the field and the respect of all when he was THE CONDUCTOR

When I was with the Hurricanes ... both corps in the 70's and early 80's ,at the time, were not very fond of each other... but we all did Respect George!

He was a great motivator. And had a wonderful sense of humor. When he retired and was at his last retreat with DCA, the only thing I remember was him coming up to me as the DM's were dismissed, saluting me and shaking my hand and saying it was a pleasure. That was a WOW moment for me!

It is also ironic, that we lost Pepe 21 years ago on the same day. Who cannot forget how they played off each other on many a retreat!

My condolences to his immediate Family and his UMass and Buccaneer Families

RIP Mr George Parks. A Legend that will live on in our hearts and minds.

5001545758_bc47bc1c08_m.jpg

George and I at DCA Finals 2010

Edited by hurcwave

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Buccaneers are invited to hum or sing the corps song at Noon EST on Sunday, September 19 in honor of George Parks. With Buccaneers spanning the globe, this should be quite a tribute and meaningful to each of us as we pause to reflect on what George meant to us individually and as a drum corps family.

Please help spread the word to fellow Buccaneers who may not be on DCP or see our posts on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you, Thomas Brown, for this wonderful idea.

Though not a member of your corps, My thoughts will be with the Bucs family at that designated time of day.

I was stunned to hear this news yesterday, Just having been with George at DCA Finals. The music world has lost a great CHAMPION of the Arts! His UMass bands produced some great teachers and arrangers. His drum major camps produced a lot of fine talent. He was and will always be a Buccaneer, as he has said . He commanded the field and the respect of all when he was THE CONDUCTOR

When I was with the Hurricanes ... both corps in the 70's and early 80's ,at the time, were not very fond of each other... but we all did Respect George!

He was a great motivator. And had a wonderful sense of humor. When he retired and was at his last retreat with DCA, the only thing I remember was him coming up to me as the DM's were dismissed, saluting me and shaking my hand and saying it was a pleasure. That was a WOW moment for me!

It is also ironic, that we lost Pepe 21 years ago on the same day. Who cannot forget how they played off each other on many a retreat!

Thank you Vic....

Thanks so much, Vic.

Those statements would mean a lot to many Bucs of that era. As you said, there was a time the Bucs and the Hurricanes did "not like each other" very much. To those who were part of either corps in the early 80's, no explanation is necessary. With that said however, the one thing that always existed within DCA and something George stressed to us many times....win or lose, you always show respect for your opponents. George lived that every time he set foot on a field. And it was reflected back by the other drum majors. IMHO, that group of drum majors in the early 80's..... George, Jimmy Russo, Alan Smythe, Butch Anderson, and the others (some of the names escape me at the moment) was, collectively, the greatest group of leaders and showmen I've ever seen in my 43 years of involvement in drum corps.

Vic, you and I once talked about corps loyalties. George Parks was one of the reasons I felt the way I did, and still do. Once Blue.... always Blue.

RIP George. We will miss you.

I'm sitting here at work reading this and I can't even think.

Maybe no human body could house all that intensity.

I was just commenting on George on the DCA personality thread - the most intense performer I ever saw - perhaps not the best conductor - but I think that's a question of taste, but in my opinion going away the best drum major I ever encountered.

Man...

I would think that his people skills and charisma would far and above out weigh his conducting. "Perhaps not the best:" Ray I know you have been to a lot of shows and have been in the activity for many years. But how many of todays drum Majors have you seen that are equal to his conducting. Not too many in the DCA ranks, thats for sure.

I would think that his people skills and charisma would far and above out weigh his conducting. "Perhaps not the best:" Ray I know you have been to a lot of shows and have been in the activity for many years. But how many of todays drum Majors have you seen that are equal to his conducting. Not too many in the DCA ranks, thats for sure.

I've only seen two, to be honest. One was Laurie Kunzel when Bush was on top. The other was Marcia Hansen with Phantom.

it's impossible for me to say (of the three) which was the best, because all three were so much better than anything I could do ever, so I'm not the one to judge. But those were the three best sheer conductors I ever saw.

No one was close to George (that I've ever witnessed) as a drum major - not in the same league.

Probably one of the reasons that so many of the best DMs on the planet learned their skills at the DMA.

Some times things make you sit back and say WOW.... as we all share our remembrances of George and for many of us who just had the opportunity again to say hello to him just a few days ago at DCA Championships....

I turn on my computer and use MSN.com as my home page... and there on the right side of my home page is the name "George Parks" with a link to an entire page of tributes... it made me sit back and realize just how great George was in life and how priviledged I was to have called him friend for these many years.

Did some Googling after reading Toms post and found this, also has the Facebook link...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ial.html?cat=15

On the associated Press site yet...

Edited by JimF-LowBari