Has DCP ever changed your mind on something?

Not really changed my mind on what I like but definitely offers perspectives I don't have

Here's an article I find interesting about beliefs vs. facts that explains a lot of why biases don't get altered by facts.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/ar...fire/?page=full

Edited by Wadep66

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really changed my mind on what I like but definitely offers perspectives I don't have

Here's an article I find interesting about beliefs vs. facts that explains a lot of why biases don't get altered by facts.

This explains a lot of what I see happening more and more. Facts used to be important. Less and less as I get older.

What an enlightening article, thanks for posting it. I loved this:

"Most of us like to believe that our opinions have been formed over time by careful, rational consideration of facts and ideas, and that the decisions based on those opinions, therefore, have the ring of soundness and intelligence. In reality, we often base our opinions on our beliefs, [italics theirs, bold mine]"

and this:

"...it appears that misinformed people often have some of the strongest political opinions. "

They needed to do a study to come to this conclusion? That's like studies that conclude, indeed Men and Women are different

DUH!

This thread has a lot of "yeah, I learned [x] on DCP" but not a lot of "I changed my mind on [x]." Of course we all learn new things on DCP, personal, historical, etc, but it's very rare when someone else can change our BELIEF, no matter how much fact or rationale is injected.

Ironically, this article is from the Boston Globe.... a newspaper that routinely and DAILY alters " the facts " to fit the papers " biases " and " beliefs ".

Edited by BRASSO

a few times with thoughts or insights on shows or organizations it has. in terms of the arguments for the major changes in the activity, no, because a lot of the hoopla spewed justifying them has been hot air.

Yea, I would say the same thing. Most of the people who post here at best have friends on the inside, but more commonly are nearly 100% on the outside as far as the how/why things happen in the activity, how/why shows are designed the way they are, etc. Posters frequently post with nothing but raw emotions, often with little/no understanding on the current state of the activity from the inside. Many posters write ridiculous things like, "that's not how real drum corps is" or other nonsense, and at this point it's just laughably dumb.

Every once in awhile, however, reading DCP I will come across a show write-up where a viewer noticed something I didn't, or got more out of a show design than I did, and it helped me understand a show design better. A good example was the thread from August regarding Crown's show, and how it tied it with the previous year. I missed A LOT of that, and once reading those thoughts it really helped connect the dots and gave me a much deeper appreciation of their show.

Well, I'm glad you got my joke!

And I've changed my mind regarding your joke.

Upon a second and then a 3rd viewing, I now more fully appreciate it's subtle nuances filled with comedic relief, FHdork.

Edited by BRASSO