Has DCP ever changed your mind on something?

I've gotten bored with DCP over the last month. In asking myself why, I came to the conclusion that everyone posts with blinders on, and no one is really learning or opening their minds to other ideas. I'm generalizing...yeah. Maybe one time per quarter I read something like "Hey, thanks, I never thought of it that way. That makes all the difference. I get it now."

Instead, most of the posts have defensive tone, whilst the counter-posts are sometimes outright aggressive. It's even difficult for some to say "I see your point, and I understand why you think that way, but I take this approach, and here's why." Instead, emotion takes over the entire issue (kind of like the victimization/entitlement society we've allowed our leaders to create). I'm not immune; I fall into it sometimes, getting flabbergasted to the point where I respond with negative emotion, even though I strive to use logic/experience all the time.

So, has anyone ever had their mind changed on something, after reading another DCP poster's take on it?

For me, it was Nick "euphitone" (EDIT: euponitone) a couple years ago, when he simplified the woodwinds/electronics for me, to the point that I had to say to myself "Wow, I've been holding on to that mindless crap for years. Nick is right: Everything's fine, unless it sucks."

Here's the post when I saw the light: Sept 3, 2008

Before that, I was pretty much against all of that stuff, notably electronics (and especially after I heard it at 2004 finals! Yikes!)

Thank you, Nick....do you ever post here anymore?

Edited by Bruckner8

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a few times with thoughts or insights on shows or organizations it has. in terms of the arguments for the major changes in the activity, no, because a lot of the hoopla spewed justifying them has been hot air.

Over the years here, I've learned to appreciate DCA, to be more objective on the DCI product as a whole and to move mostly beyond the amplification and electronics stuff (if it's done well). Woodwinds I'm still adamant about, but that's not a real concern for me right now, given the current state of DCI.

I wouldn't say I've made a complete 180 on a lot of my views, but the majority have definitely softened somewhat by reading and responding in various threads here.

When the G7 concept was leaked / shadow posted / however it ended up on DCP

I was beginning to think corps was finding it's stride / niche , how wrong I was!

To the OP’s credit, I’m now a believer in CI, something I had previously noticed and derided and called either, pageantry or, political judging. You did a good job articulating it. I’m not convinced it’s as rigid as you suggest and I did test you on it... but so far, it has with stood the test.

So yeah, I’ve picked up a few things, learned some others, got the heads up on the G7, got insights to past shows and personalities

The longer I’ve been here, the less I respect many of the opinions, they just don’t know

I didn’t really come here for the debate, I have another board for that and I do enjoy the debate but I’ve bored myself on the same debates here year after year so don’t get into them much (unless it’s a new topic)…more power to the people willing to participate in the old debates because it is important

I came here to talk drum corps, I cut all my drum corps ties over 20 years ago and only have a few friends that will indulge me by going to shows with me but don’t have much to say about it outside of those shows and even then its, limited to that was cool…that sucked (they do give me a great read on the joe ave’s impression of the product and changes, the great unwashed)

It's probably too soon for me to say; I've only been following DCP discussions closely since the spring. But at least the conversations here have helped me to understand my own feelings about drum corps better: why I've come to feel that electronics are objectionable ("tennis without a net") but woodwinds are not. But no one post made the difference. I do see the point of your question -- to borrow a thought from one of Lance's footers: can you be convinced through discussion to like broccoli, or to dislike waffles?

I've gotten bored with DCP over the last month. In asking myself why, I came to the conclusion that everyone posts with blinders on, and no one is really learning or opening their minds to other ideas. I'm generalizing...yeah. Maybe one time per quarter I read something like "Hey, thanks, I never thought of it that way. That makes all the difference. I get it now."

Being a horn player, had no idea about amps being used for better playing technique.

Well that's the story and some people are sticking with it. :smile:

Mainly just enjoying hearing opinions different from mine and reasons why someone has that opinion.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Looking back, and in a clearly naive way, I had convinced myself a few years ago that woodwinds would never find their way onto the field, nor into I&E DCI competition. I was adamant on this. DCP Poster " Bossop " told me that I was dead wrong on this several years back. But I stuck to my guns on this issue. But in time, I was proven wrong, and like other posters that warned me of such coming " attractions ", they were proven right on this, and I was wrong. I wished in hindsight that I kept an open mind on this and that this was probably inevitable, given some of the influence within the upper levels of some of the top Corps within DCI at the time that were pushing for this to happen.

Edited by BRASSO

The longer I’ve been here, the less I respect many of the opinions, they just don’t know

I've think the way opinions are expressed here mirror those of the typical Internet forum.....not all, but most.

There are some people on here whose posts I pay attention to. Some no longer post here (Tsar Nick) - he always had something interesting to say. That being said, if an opinion or argument is communicated well, I'm more likely to pay attention to it.