How will announced changes effect the corps?

With several groups announcing staff or writing changes I thought it would be an interesting discussion as to how the changes might impact the groups.

Here are my opinions. Please add yours and any announcements which may come after this.

SCV - percussion and brass- I think this will move them ahead a couple of spots. Will be interesting to observe if the Blue Devels now lose percussion all season instead of only on the national tour.

Phantom - Percussion I believe they will drop 3 to 4 spots. Will be interesting to see what happens with visual design

Crossmen Music and visual- Will not have much effect, no big impact here especially visually, could gain or lose 1 spot based on what others around them do.

Teal - Coordinator, music - likely a back step of a couple of spots. Not sure why you would hire the same music writer as someone 1 or 2 spots ahead of you.

Pioneer- coordinator they will stay where they are at. I think it may be a backward step but have not heard of any open corps applying for membership. They need to think outside the box and look to someone fresh.

If I have missed any please add them in and if you agree or disagree lets discuss. These are just my opions.

Edited by drumguy50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really, about Crossmen?

Well, I don't have an opinion right now. It's too early.... but I can only hope for a return to top 12 for Bones

Edited by dciboy2000

With several groups announcing staff or writing changes I thought it would be an interesting discussion as to how the changes might impact the groups.

Here are my opinions. Please add yours and any announcements which may come after this.

SCV - percussion and brass- I think this will move them ahead a couple of spots. Will be interesting to observe if the Blue Devels now lose percussion all season instead of only on the national tour.

Phantom - Percussion I believe they will drop 3 to 4 spots. Will be interesting to see what happens with visual design

Crossmen Music and visual- Will not have much effect, no big impact here especially visually, could gain or lose 1 spot based on what others around them do.

Teal - Coordinator, music - likely a back step of a couple of spots. Not sure why you would hire the same music writer as someone 1 or 2 spots ahead of you.

Pioneer- coordinator they will stay where they are at. I think it may be a backward step but have not heard of any open corps applying for membership. They need to think outside the box and look to someone fresh.

If I have missed any please add them in and if you agree or disagree lets discuss. These are just my opions.

Just saw the Gussek notice for Accadamy, That may move them up a few. Watch out Glassmen and Blue Knights!

Edited by drumguy50

Crossmen . Looks like this program has been totally revamped .

1 spot ???

not a fair assessment.

I guess you thought Madison would stay the same or move up 1 spot in 2010 also ?

In my humble opinion, Phantom has taken a huge step back in percussion. And not just because whats-his-name left. Because of who they hired.

Crossmen . Looks like this program has been totally revamped .

1 spot ???

not a fair assessment.

I guess you thought Madison would stay the same or move up 1 spot in 2010 also ?

Who thought that Madison would only move up one spot? I think most people here just universally understood they would be in finals. Also, the Madison staff and what Crossmen have put together are not quite the same. I think Crossmen have put together a good team and all, but they don't really compare to the staff that madison put together.

I do think the Crossmen will be better, but what are they doing to remedy their administrative issues that they encountered last season. That itself may take some time to figure out. Lastly (and most importantly), what are they doing to recruit better talent? Nearly the whole staff is from out of state and I don't think texas band kids are going to be banging crossmen's doors down to march under a bunch of guys who might be well known in drum corps, but not really well known in the texas band circuit (like mark chambers was). With that being said, I do think they will be better, but I wouldn't bank on some meteoric rise in placements in 2011.

In my humble opinion, Phantom has taken a huge step back in percussion. And not just because whats-his-name left. Because of who they hired.

I disagree. He has done good work with a number of different groups (DCI and WGI). Paul Rennick wasn't winning drums before he got to Phantom and if my memory serves wasn't anywhere close to winning drums either. Also, who else (that's on the market) would have been better?

I think the corps NOT announcing any major changes (i.e., BD, Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets, Blue Stars) have the advantage. Each of those corps already has great staffs and maintaining the same great talent can only help in the long run. The "rich" get richer.......

As far as Bluecoats -yes. although they always seem to peak early. yes I know they had a great year BUT.......what if ?

the Cadets have been stale for a few ( besides WSS )

Toy soldier ,Pusuit of happiness , This I believe ,looking glass II , The Zone , Tull , Favorite things .

Crown has peaked . A second chance led to a 4th place finish. Not the crowd favorite it once was.

Blue Stars 8th 3 years in a row. not bad , not great. a good place to be.

Spirit loses drum staff

Boston loses brass and percussion syaff

Phantom loses visual and percussion staff.

complacency will always lead to stagnation.In some cases this is a good thing. In some its not.

Edited by FanofNight