Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

Earlier this week at my work, we were asked what some of our favorite hobbies were. There were about 30ish of us in the room and as we went around the circle various answers were given like video games, football, basketball, running ect... It got to me and I said exercising and drum corps. Everyone looked at me with that "deer in the headlights" look and asked what drum corps was. They each said they had never heard of it and passed it off as some kind of "lame marching band thing".

Needless to say this saddened me to no end. I knew that drum corps was not very popular in america, but this kinda opened my eyes more to see just how little the activity is known. No one at my work (about 100 people) had ever even heard of the activity. It was so disheartening, to not only have all of these people not even know what the activity is, but then go on to say that it is just some "foot ball half time show lame thing".

I know DCI does not have loads of cash, and advertising is expensive but to me, DCI has changed my life and what I enjoy watching. Why does no one else even know about it? I feel that if more people could just be sat down and watch some of the best DCI shows in history they would become immediate fans and we would have more people coming to shows. More fans = more money. More money= more shows. More shows= More corps. Why doesnt DCI do more in the advertising department? Why is it still such a little known activity?! It seems that even swimming now is more understood and popular after the 2008 olympics than DCI is! (not dogging on swimming at all I love that sport) But this is just saddening.

What is up with this!?

IF you think that's bad... Try discussing drum corps in Canada... That's a #### joke... "Is that a military thing?" "Marching band? Not really sure what that is either" and so on... At least DCI is more well known than DCA though.. Thanks, in large part, to PBS and their former annual airings of finals

So let me get this straight. You are saying that Opera and Symphony both "appeal" a wide musical inclined audience, they sell out 60k seat venues on a regular basis, and they draw in the same massive amounts of people who go see U2, Carrie Underwood, Rolling Stones, Madonna, Clint Black, and Allison Krauss. Riiiiiight……

Yes. Right. I witnessed about 30,000 opera fans watching "Aida" at ATT Park (SF Giants ballpark) on Friday night. To top that, the performance was merely a TV simulcast from the San Francisco Opera House. It wasn't even the actual live performance! So there you have it. 30,000 fans in one place all watching opera on TV.

IF you think that's bad... Try discussing drum corps in Canada... That's a #### joke... "Is that a military thing?" "Marching band? Not really sure what that is either" and so on... At least DCI is more well known than DCA though.. Thanks, in large part, to PBS and their former annual airings of finals

Canada never had a history of marching bands. Canadian High School marching band? Didn't exist from what I have heard. It used to have a history of very fine drum and bugle corps. No more though. :laughing:

except schools are cutting back on the arts.

True, but there are still way more kids competing in bands than ever competed in corps. USSBA, for instance, had 250 bands at their shows this past weekend...and this is just one circuit, and here in NJ it's still early season.

IMO...

Drum corps is now the summer activity for the 'marching junkies' from the scholastic music world, the kids who really love marching/music. I think that is just fine.

except schools are cutting back on the arts.

Sadly yes. And the worst part is, is that arts are listed in No Child Left Behind as a core subject, therefore should not be cut. But since there's no standardized testing on the arts, school districts see it as a waste, since they receive no extra funding for it, so it gets cut. Sad really, as it ruins the chance for so many kids to have their lives enriched by art.

Yes. Right. I witnessed about 30,000 opera fans watching "Aida" at ATT Park (SF Giants ballpark) on Friday night. To top that, the performance was merely a TV simulcast from the San Francisco Opera House. It wasn't even the actual live performance! So there you have it. 30,000 fans in one place all watching opera on TV.

Hmmmmm... this is intriguing. Is there a website, news feed, or online article I can read concerning the Aida event at ATT park? How was it advertised? How much per ticket was it to see Aida on the giant screen? What were the circumstances surrounding getting that many people to attend? Was it a fund raiser of some sort? Please answer!

Edited by Stu

Hmmmmm... this is intriguing. Is there a website, news feed, or online article I can read concerning the Aida event at ATT park? How was it advertised? How much per ticket was it to see Aida on the giant screen? What were the circumstances surrounding getting that many people to attend? Was it a fund raiser of some sort? Please answer!

Sure. Check this out. It was totally free. The circumstances getting that many people to attend? Opera. For free. At the ballpark. That's all. It was no fund raiser because it was free. It was announced in the Sunday Entertainment section of the SF Chronicle, on radio stations and news sites. Opera in the Park (Golden Gate Park) is even crazier because it is a live performance.

Perhaps it could only happen in a place such as San Francisco? We have some rabid opera fans here.

ballpark.jpg

Here's a photo from last year's event, "Tosca". This year it was packed. The outfield and even the upper deck was filled.