Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

and of those busload, how many went on to march or become diehard fans?

every year you'll have new faces with graduation and incoming freshmen...how many stick? Can DCi afford to keep relying on those "4 year fans"?

That is the point...they CAN 'rely' on the '4 year fans', because they are a constantly renewing resource. You don't see Interlochen close it's door when the class of 2010 graduated.

There is just not enough interest by the general public and you cannot manufacture the interest.

For many years here in the NW, I've thought: how ironic that I'm surrounded by a vast local population of folks who are screamingly; obsessively; ravenously; addictively interested in the Seattle Seahawks, Mariners, Thunderbirds, Storm and/or the also-Seattle based UW Huskies football and basketball teams... when I, on the other hand, don't have the slightest, tinniest, most infinitesimal interest in any of these sports teams: pro or academic. Zero. Zip.

My interest in football, for instance, extends to what the marching band does at halftime. And if no marching band, then I'm not interested. I taught HS & U marching band drumlines in Illinois and Washington for 12 years, yet never, ever found the football teams they played halftimes for to be anything more than the opening acts for the marching bands.

So, yeah... try as I might, I still "cannot manufacture the interest."

There's no accounting for individual taste.

ok so the 4 year cycle fans come every 4 years ago. Is that enough to keep it going when more diehards walk away or die off?

if you believe that, I know some marketing classes you need to take.

That is the point...they CAN 'rely' on the '4 year fans', because they are a constantly renewing resource. You don't see Interlochen close it's door when the class of 2010 graduated.

the only way to achieve growth using "4 year fans" is to pray the generations become bigger...as they are not, only reduction can be achieved, as "4 year fan" can only be a status quo, and you are losing legacy fans...

less fans...dying business...

it's not brain surgery...

Edited by skewerz

Then why does this thread exist?

For the same reason that DCP exists......it's a hangout.

$1 to Mike for a reference to the Interlochen Arts Academy (assuming that's what you're referring to). I spent a fun summer there long ago, mostly enjoying the musicianship of the "real" musicians....... once I realize that compared to them, I SUCKED.

Because the show is no longer on PBS and because too few corps do local non-competitive events.

We are not going to grow the activity marketing to the masses... This is and always will be an activity where most of the ticket sales are friends, family and alumni. I mean seriously this is as far as the masses are concerned, "MARCHING BAND" and that is an old outdated concept as far as anyone out there is concerned. Kids and Grown Ups love performing in shows and folks come in to see THEM perform.

DRUM CORPS / MARCHING BAND IS NOT COOL PEOPLE!!! YOU WILL NOT GET A HUGE INTEREST EVER AGAIN... THIS IS NOT THE 40's 50's 60's or even 70's... Patriotism nowadays although rewarded is not a COOL concept and folks are not drawn to it in droves like they used to be... Watching your kid marching on a field isn't as cool as watching your kid score a goal (in many peoples perception) or watching them get a hit, or strike out... So we are honestly stuck with the fan base we have, and we should try to make them happier! I love new shows... but I get it when people talk about show accesibility as well.... There has to be a way that everybody wins because in ten years... It will be the same group of people worrying about DCI and we will have brought in a few new MM's and parents but not all that many...

ok so the 4 year cycle fans come every 4 years ago. Is that enough to keep it going when more diehards walk away or die off?

if you believe that, I know some marketing classes you need to take.

The ones who need marketing classes are the ones who think that aiming the activity at the ever shrinking population of 'legacy fans' is the way to go.