New Championships Week format

Was liking what I was reading until the G8 stuff. So why did they go 8?

I honestly don't know the details on this, but it sounds to me like these venues might be akin to multiple Murfreesboro shows...additional Masters of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES events. So far, I haven't heard any negatives about the Murfreesboro show and I suspect this might be a way of extending that concept beyond Murfreesboro.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact that everyone can compete again against each other. . .excellent news. Gonna be interesting to see where top Open groups finish.

I kind of think if an Open Class corps wants to compete with the big boys, they should make the commitment to join World Class first. First weirds can be a weird thing, and the hype surrounding an Open Class corps who just finished Top 3 in their class competing against the same lower-tiered World Class corps judges have seen make the same design/execution mistakes all year can be deceiving. I know it's a financial commitment to go World Class, but I honestly don't think it's fair for an Open Class corps to steal a spot in Semi's after only one WC read, for example, from a World Class corps who's been grinding it out in WC all season.

I know the counter argument is, "well, then that WC corps should be better," and to a degree I agree with that. But the economics of being a non-Finalist or non-Semi-finalist can be devastating, with potentially less interest in financial support and/or potential membership auditions. If a group wants to compete in World Class they should actually join World Class.

ALTERNATELY...

I wouldn't mind DCI going the European club soccer route: relegation. Maybe the top one or two Open Class corps can compete against the bottom World Class corps in a 'winner take all' type of thing: if the OC champion beats the last place WC corps, then the OC corps moves to WC and the lower WC moves down to OC. It would create a level of excitement, potentially help growth, and keep the quality level up through out all aspects of World Class.

Naturally the same financial ramifications mentioned above would apply to drum corps 'relegation,' more-so when taking into account the substantial pay cut a World Class corps would get in Open Class.

But if an Open Class corps wants to play the 'compete against World Class corps' game, they should go all-in and join World Class.

Conversely, if a corps is FAR exceeding the Open Class sheets (looking at you, BDB), then like WGI maybe they should be 'bumped' to World Class.

But that's another discussion...

*edit - typo (thanks Boo)

Edited by perc2100

I honestly don't know the details on this, but it sounds to me like these venues might be akin to multiple Murfreesboro shows...additional Masters of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES events. So far, I haven't heard any negatives about the Murfreesboro show and I suspect this might be a way of extending that concept beyond Murfreesboro.

For those of us not paying attention, what's the difference in the Murfeesboro show vs other DCI shows?

I never had a problem with the idea of the previous years top 8 (or 7) doing special events. The corps involved are there on merit of accomplishment, not elitism, and the participating corps can change year by year based on that merit. And this idea also sounds like DCI is attempting to boost the marketability of the OC.

Key words (to me at least) in these events: produced by DCI. So there won't be any G7 events this summer at all. Merely some additional DCI events. Sounds like there's been lots of compromise going on.

Key words (to me at least) in these events: produced by DCI. So there won't be any G7 events this summer at all. Merely some additional DCI events. Sounds like there's been lots of compromise going on.

I'd stipulate that as well. To be honest, compromise = :tongue:

Maybe DCI corps get more money/exposure, DCI has more events that could attract more fans, and the Top 8 get some extra income. And of course, drum corps fans have more chances to see the top corps in the activity. Win-win for all, IMO

Maybe DCI corps get more money/exposure, DCI has more events that could attract more fans, and the Top 8 get some extra income. And of course, drum corps fans have more chances to see the top corps in the activity. Win-win for all, IMO

EXACTLY! :w00t::satisfied: this proposal seems AWESOME to me

the championships thing is a win. i'd actually consider going now.

the G8 shows, no thanks, I'll pass.

Will time spent rehearsing additional material for the experimental shows actually put the Gee-Eight at a disadvantage in the real competition?

Does the new Experimental Event sound like G7? Top 8 from 2010.....hmmmmmmm new judging format? hmmmmmmmm

on 2nd glance, i hope this is how they are set up. it'd still be cool if whoever is local that isnt G8 gets to play too