New Championships Week format

a) DCI made a huge mistake of mixing up the order Finals in 1988; I pray that they still are reeling from that mistake.

b) However, if DCI does happen to mix up the order on Thursday, I bet my you-know-what that Thursday ticket sales will plummet. I mean who wants to be in and around that dome for over 13 hours!

It was 1989 and it was terrible...it wont happen again.

G

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was 1989 and it was terrible...it wont happen again.

G

It was 1988. It just so happened that Madison won Semis and went on last anyway through the random draw.

40 corps - in a day - GREAT unless you are a judge.

Just wonder how they will ensure consistency of judging through a day that long.

Will it encourage or discourage judges from using their preconceptions about a particular corps, as opposed to what they actually see and hear on the day?

Just a genuine thought. But let the conspiracy theorists have fun.

Doesn't anyone remember how DCI USED to do Prelims and finals? All the corps competed over TWO days. The judges did a fine job with it (for the most part). How is this any different than what they are planning to do this year?

I remember going and sitting through every corps, eating the obligatory breakfast hotdog, and NOT getting burnt out.

Have we become that soft?

Doesn't anyone remember how DCI USED to do Prelims and finals? All the corps competed over TWO days. The judges did a fine job with it (for the most part). How is this any different than what they are planning to do this year?

I remember going and sitting through every corps, eating the obligatory breakfast hotdog, and NOT getting burnt out.

Have we become that soft?

Yes. Especially around the middle.

Michael: Have you ever thought about moonlighting as a proof reader? :laughing:

Proof drinker more like. 57 degrees proof. :tongue:

How far is DCI going to go with these experimental events? If these are what we can assume they will be, which is musical theatre-based productions, how will the organization as a whole be able to handle this? If these events become a huge success and a huge money maker for DCI, at what point does it become exploitation of the members? Obviously, developing these productions as well as maintaining a competitive field show is going to take much more time and effort from the participating groups. If DCI wants to present these performers as professional quality, how long until the members realize that they aren't getting paid for their extra time and work? As is, the drum corps activity is becoming more and more intrusive into the performers' lives, forcing them to miss school both at the beginning and end of the season. At what point to members look for compensation, wnd at what point does it become a matter of exploitation?