New Championships Week format

I also look at the time my wife and I had in Indianapolis this summer. We were prepared for the worst because of what I had been reading about the 2009 finals. I didn't see any of the problems people pointed out from 2009. We had a great time and enjoyed ourselves. The stadium was great and very helpful as my wife has a walker and it was no problem. The sound people complained about was good. The stadium was cool and comfortable...my wife brought her sweater...in August. We had a great place to park and it was easy to get back and forth to our hotel. Our trip to Indianapolis and back home were fine. I am now planning to go back in 2012 as we cannot make it this summer. But, it sounds like DCI listens and they are open to change things to make it better for the fans.

Hey, be careful there with slinging around the positive comments! We have a reputation to uphold on this forum. :laughing:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's not what they said. The International Corps may progress if their score is high enough, but if they have different membership rules than DCI, they won't knock out a DCI corps that may have been displaced...we'll just enjoy one more corps at the next show.

ok, I understand now.

Thanks.

If the G-8 thing is based off of how corps finish from the previous season then I think it is pretty cool because it may not be the same corps every year. I remember Boston, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Madison, Croosmen all being in the top 8 at one time (and Im sure there are others that I am forgetting. But if corps know they could possibly get more money based on how they finish, it could possibly result in a much greater product from everyone

No explanation as been given as to what the criteria is, nor the time frame, for qualification. Keep in mind, that the G-7 was a proposal for 7 " permanent corps " to the AAA level envisioned by the architects, and a 3 year window of top 8 placement for inclusion for a possible 8th Corps addition. The original G-7 proposal makes no provision for when the starting dates commences for qualification consideration. Right now, there is no qualification criteria agreed to by membership beyond simply an ( quote ) " 8 Corps INVITE to participate under the auspices of DCI in this ( supposedly ) 1 year " experimental " format. As such, DCI membership has agreed that the first 8 finishers from last year will participate in the 1 year experimentation. One presumes that after a post evaluation process after the 2011 season, the entire concept, number of Corps included, and future qualificatiion requirements ( should the experiment be agreed to continue ) will no doubt be hammered out in Committee, then voted on, for 2012 and beyond.

Edited by BRASSO

No explanation as been given as to what the criteria is, nor the time frame, for qualification. Keep in mind, that the G-7 was a proposal for 7 " permanent corps " to the AAA level envisioned by the architects, and a 3 year window of top 8 placement for inclusion for a possible 8th Corps addition. The original G-7 proposal makes no provision for when the starting dates commences for qualification consideration. Right now, there is no qualification criteria agreed to by membership beyond simply an ( quote ) " 8 Corps INVITE to participate under the auspices of DCI in this ( supposedly ) 1 year " experimental " format. As such, DCI membership has agreed that the first 8 finishers from last year will participate in the 1 year experimentation. One presumes that after a post evaluation process after the 2011 season, the entire concept, number of Corps included, and future qualificatiion requirements ( should the experiment be agreed to continue ) will no doubt be hammered out in Committee, then voted on, for 2012 and beyond.

It's all a matter of how you want to measure things, current years benefit this group of 8. I suggest that like most things, they will not remain the same over a longer horizon - just convenient for this group to force the issue now...

:laughing: HuhWha??

that subforum is available at the top of the DCI World Class Corps Discussions Forum - definitely not hidden away, and very much active.

...unless I misunderstand what you are saying....it has been known to happen....

sure... that is one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that a very important topic has been moved out of the forum that gets the most traffic (the forum that this thread is in).

perhaps you will find your answers in the world series of drum corps forum that DCP has hidden away.

were there compromises? yes... is this also the first step for the G7 to get what they want (killing off the other drum corps)? possibly.

Hardly 'hidden away.' Just moved to its own room so that it stopped drowning out all other discussion. Same service we've provided to our users for half a decade now when rules proposals come out. :laughing:

Mike

the championships thing is a win. i'd actually consider going now.

the G8 shows, no thanks, I'll pass.

Given the current structure is vastly different than what the original G-7 proposal looked like, with virtually no negative impact on DCI or any other corps, why not?

Given the current structure is vastly different than what the original G-7 proposal looked like, with virtually no negative impact on DCI or any other corps, why not?

Think of it as multiple editions of the Murfreesboro Masters of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES. Any revenues generated will ultimately benefit DCI and all corps, raising the awareness level of potential new fans.

To me, this sounds like a win-win for everyone.

Here is something to banter about: For sake of argument lets say that there are two criteria youth use to choose to which corps to audition for in any given year: 1) Quality of the performance of that corps; and 2) Competitive environment in which that particular corps performs. The top eight corps certainly provide (quality), and according to the DCI article a varied judging system will be in place for those "special shows" which will provide (competitive environment). Question: Since the special experimental shows provide both of those items, and entry into those shows is based off of merit not elitism, could this new judging and show format actually fly as the future of the overall DCI activity?