and.......HERE WE GO

see me

I like it

all OC corps have 2 guarenteed performances (tues/thurs) :laughing:

putting OC in a show against WC gives them equal standing :tongue:

putting OC in a finals type show with WC gives them a WC audience (MOST IMPORTANT TO ME) :worthy:

The only one I'd stipulate to is the 2 performances - I'm questioning the "WC audience" that early on Thursday, except possibly for the top 2 corps.

And I really question equal standing.

But they lose very little in the equation and the kids get to watch quarters.

I'm pro.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that read the OC boards on a regular basics know that I have been a strong advocate for OC and WC Corps to be scored on the same sheets. So to me this is a great first step for our Activity as a whole. If done right, once again making the top 25 will mean something. At this point in time there are 23 WC Corps, which means, there are at least two spots min. that an OC Corps can claim. Using 2010 finals week scores my own first hand experience and history as a guide (15-20 point drop) only 2 OC Corps would of made the top 25. I used the high number (20 point drop) in my comparisons of scores.

Here is my wish list that I would like to see now that DCI is willing to allow the OC and WC Corps go head to head on the same sheets once again.

1. Do away with the current OC sheets and replace them the WC sheets so the Corps can acclimate themselves to the WC sheets.

2. When an OC Corps preforms at a WC Show, score them on the same sheets, compete head to head.

3. Have a Show or two where all Corps from that state or region go head to head for a true state or region champion. If it is state show maybe the Show could be held at the VFW or AL state convention. The Corps in Cali. have a Show where most if not all Corps get together. All they have to do now is score all Corps on the same sheets to get a true state champ.

By allowing the OC and WC Corps to go head to head will go a long way in removing the stigma of marching in an OC Corps. ( real or perceive) The young people who choose to march in an OC Corps are now on equal footing even though it is one show for now.

Dean

After thinking about it all night and talking to people opposed to the idea, I still think this is a great move, only I would make some slight changes:

1.) Make OC finals two shows (Prelims & Finals), so that there is still a top 12 for OC. Plus, they'll get THREE shows!!!

2.) Allow OC corps to get paid. Not for the whole season (I understand that won't happen for a VERY long time), but just for each WC championship show they're in. This is the biggest concern from the people that I talked to, OC performing against WC without the same financial reward.

I'd say that's about it, overall this is a very good idea and I can't wait to see who makes the top 25!

After thinking about it all night and talking to people opposed to the idea, I still think this is a great move, only I would make some slight changes:

1.) Make OC finals two shows (Prelims & Finals), so that there is still a top 12 for OC. Plus, they'll get THREE shows!!!

2.) Allow OC corps to get paid. Not for the whole season (I understand that won't happen for a VERY long time), but just for each WC championship show they're in. This is the biggest concern from the people that I talked to, OC performing against WC without the same financial reward.

I'd say that's about it, overall this is a very good idea and I can't wait to see who makes the top 25!

From my understanding, when an OC Corps compete at a WC Show they do get paid. When OC compete at an OC Show they do not get paid.

Dean

I can see both sides and I think this is both good and bad for OC. But I think there is way more bad to this and there is good! so first the good.....

1. OC corps get to play in front of a WC crowd

2. We will get to see who in OC is almost ready to go up and compete with the WC corps

3. It gives OC corps directors a reason to fight for more rights for the OC corps

now the bad....

1. No matter what we hope and wish for most likely only SCVC and BDB will ever get out of prelims

2. Now if a corps wants to just come in for finals week how will they be placed if they cant go to a seeding show?

3. OC corps loose 2 shows in finals week

4. No more top 12 for OC

thats just my personal opinion not my corps!

Is it me, or did DCI Open Class just lose two rounds of competition and the opportunity to become an Open Class Finalist? And for what, a chance to perform in World Class Quarterfinals instead? Yeah, great.........

I marched and taught at a corps that is a multiple time Open Class / Div 2&3 Finalist, and let me tell you that it makes a huge difference when you're able to say that you are a finalist. One of my biggest memories in drum corps was making Division 3 finals my rookie year of drum corps. I still have my finalist medal hanging up at home 12 years later. Open Class corps members will now not be able to achieve or experience that, which is a shame.

I would have no problem with this system if Open Class had a Prelims / Finals format. The opportunity to perform in World Class Quarterfinals is great AS LONG AS there is still a Prelims / Finals format in Open Class. I'm not even asking for the current 3 day tournament in Open Class. With the amount of Open Class corps present, 2 rounds is fine, but to deny those kids the opportunity to call themselves a Finalist within their class is not acceptable.

I am shocked that there are people involved in Open Class that support this. I think you are looking at what you gained without thinking about what you sacrificed along the way. In essense, Open Class took two steps back to take one forward. This is just the next step in eliminating the class all together. I hope those of you involved in Open Class realize this as such and make your voices heard.

Is it me, or did DCI Open Class just lose two rounds of competition and the opportunity to become an Open Class Finalist? And for what, a chance to perform in World Class Quarterfinals instead? Yeah, great.........

I marched and taught at a corps that is a multiple time Open Class / Div 2&3 Finalist, and let me tell you that it makes a huge difference when you're able to say that you are a finalist. One of my biggest memories in drum corps was making Division 3 finals my rookie year of drum corps. I still have my finalist medal hanging up at home 12 years later. Open Class corps members will now not be able to achieve or experience that, which is a shame.

I would have no problem with this system if Open Class had a Prelims / Finals format. The opportunity to perform in World Class Quarterfinals is great AS LONG AS there is still a Prelims / Finals format in Open Class. I'm not even asking for the current 3 day tournament in Open Class. With the amount of Open Class corps present, 2 rounds is fine, but to deny those kids the opportunity to call themselves a Finalist within their class is not acceptable.

I am shocked that there are people involved in Open Class that support this. I think you are looking at what you gained without thinking about what you sacrificed along the way. In essense, Open Class took two steps back to take one forward. This is just the next step in eliminating the class all together. I hope those of you involved in Open Class realize this as such and make your voices heard.

You do have a good point here, and I'm sure several Open Class directors are scratching their heads right now in regard this format. While it will be a great opportunity to perform in the World Class Prelims there is something to be said about being able to advertise and build upon the idea of being a "finalist" with your class.

I wonder if any OC corps will choose to end their season on Tuesday of Championship week and not participate in the WC prelims. I think it will be good for some corps...not so good for others. Overall have some mixed feelings about it all.

Time will tell. I think, in the long run, this will make it harder to market the Open Class product in general.