and.......HERE WE GO

see me

the last couple of years, there really hasn't been any kind of dogfight to get in at OC semis. like with WC, by that week, you pretty much know who is in

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree you don't need a prelims and semifinals. But a prelims and finals would be nice, so those kids who would make finals can actually say they made finals.

Edited by idel

Well until the numbers come up to where it would prohibit it, why not just do a day/night format with OC. Prelims start at like 8:30 am, go all day. Dinner break. Bring back the top 12.

I think its funny that all these people are commenting on Open Class and World Class corps being judged on the same sheet for Thursday of Finals week. The sheets are all the same. The only thing that is different is the heading at the top of the page. One says World Class, and the other says Open Class. All the numbers, descriptions, and even the colors of the captions are the same. Its the judges judging that is different. So its not the sheets that are going to determine if an Open Class corps moves up, its the judges actually judging. Personally I think the judges should judge every group the same regardless if they have 12 year olds or 21 year olds, 150 members or 25 members, amped pit or unamped pit. Be honest to the kids....if they did half the show well....then give them a 50....and so on. Hopefully those Open Class corps that choose to go to Indy on Thursday are warned that their score will go down across the board, because unfortunately they will be judged differently than they have all year.

I think this is a good move. The Open Class Corps have a chance for more exposure. If more potential members get to see them then this may help recruiting. I'm kinda liking the idea of groups performing before Finals in a Block Party type atmosphere. Good chance to get some All Age Corps in there to entertain as well.

The entire week would make this a destination for a Drum Corps enthusiast. A week off from work to go see a bunch of Drum Corps Tuesday to Saturday. :laughing::tongue:

I can see both sides and I think this is both good and bad for OC. But I think there is way more bad to this and there is good! so first the good.....

1. OC corps get to play in front of a WC crowd

2. We will get to see who in OC is almost ready to go up and compete with the WC corps

3. It gives OC corps directors a reason to fight for more rights for the OC corps

now the bad....

1. No matter what we hope and wish for most likely only SCVC and BDB will ever get out of prelims

2. Now if a corps wants to just come in for finals week how will they be placed if they cant go to a seeding show?

3. OC corps loose 2 shows in finals week

4. No more top 12 for OC

thats just my personal opinion not my corps!

According to Corpsrep from 1975 to the present there have been 28 different Champions in the Class A, A60, Div.II, and OC Div. I did not count Div.III winners.

I do not understand why there will no longer be a top 12 in OC. Could you please explain this to me? Because I do want to understand.

DCI.org has 22 OC Corps listed. Out of those 22 Corps only 16 made the trip to Michigan City. Unless there are more Corps who make the trip, I see no need for quarter finals. However I do see a need for a prelims and final show.

I do not see many Corps ending their season at Michigan City because that show and Indy are not very far from each other. I see the MC show as a stepping stone to Indy.

I had no idea that the OC and WC Div is indeed scored on the same sheets. If this is true, then all DCI has to do is tell the judges to stop lying to the young people in the OC Div and give the OC Corps a true and honest read no matter if they score 50 or lower. Yes indeed, THERE WILL BE A DROP IN SCORES. At least it will be an honest read.

Dean

Edited by IntheMood

According to Corpsrep from 1975 to the present there have been 28 different Champions in the Class A, A60, Div.II, and OC Div. I did not count Div.III winners.

I do not understand why there will no longer be a top 12 in OC. Could you please explain this to me? Because I do want to understand.

DCI.org has 22 OC Corps listed. Out of those 22 Corps only 16 made the trip to Michigan City. Unless there are more Corps who make the trip, I see no need for quarter finals. However I do see a need for a prelims and final show.

I do not see many Corps ending their season at Michigan City because that show and Indy are not very far from each other. I see the MC show as a stepping stone to Indy.

I had no idea that the OC and WC Div is indeed scored on the same sheets. If this is true, then all DCI has to do is tell the judges to stop lying to the young people in the OC Div and give the OC Corps a true and honest read no matter if they score 50 or lower. Yes indeed, THERE WILL BE A DROP IN SCORES. At least it will be an honest read.

Dean

I ment top 12 as in finalists. And they are different sheets, I don't know where all of you came up with that they are the same. Because OC is based on achievement of what you put out, and WC is all about how hard it is and what you are doing even if your not always achieving it. This is why we see a lot of OC corps never marching bigger than an 8 to 5 and the hornline playing lots of white notes too. (I am not saying all OC corps do this, because there are some that definitely don't!)

Is it me, or did DCI Open Class just lose two rounds of competition and the opportunity to become an Open Class Finalist? And for what, a chance to perform in World Class Quarterfinals instead? Yeah, great.........

I marched and taught at a corps that is a multiple time Open Class / Div 2&3 Finalist, and let me tell you that it makes a huge difference when you're able to say that you are a finalist. One of my biggest memories in drum corps was making Division 3 finals my rookie year of drum corps. I still have my finalist medal hanging up at home 12 years later. Open Class corps members will now not be able to achieve or experience that, which is a shame.

I would have no problem with this system if Open Class had a Prelims / Finals format. The opportunity to perform in World Class Quarterfinals is great AS LONG AS there is still a Prelims / Finals format in Open Class. I'm not even asking for the current 3 day tournament in Open Class. With the amount of Open Class corps present, 2 rounds is fine, but to deny those kids the opportunity to call themselves a Finalist within their class is not acceptable.

I am shocked that there are people involved in Open Class that support this. I think you are looking at what you gained without thinking about what you sacrificed along the way. In essense, Open Class took two steps back to take one forward. This is just the next step in eliminating the class all together. I hope those of you involved in Open Class realize this as such and make your voices heard.

I agree there should be a two-show format so OC has finalists, but if we can't change what it is now it's not as big of a loss as you say. I feel like I'm being too literal when I say this, but hear me out for a second: Open Class may only have one day, but there will always be a top 12, even if they don't get their own day. And personally (this is my thought alone and I can understand if you don't agree), but this year a few of the corps that made OC finals only made it because four of the top 5 from 09 aren't there, and that bumped everyone up. I'm not saying that those corps don't work hard, in fact they could be the hardest working corps in DCI and it's great that they made finals, but Open Class is dwindling down to a point where making finals is almost a guarantee, therefore the top 12 is starting to lose its meaning anyway.

You could also look at it this way: the few corps that don't make Open Class finals are now on equal standing to the ones that do, so they will benefit!

Edited by MetalTones2012

I ment top 12 as in finalists. And they are different sheets, I don't know where all of you came up with that they are the same. Because OC is based on achievement of what you put out, and WC is all about how hard it is and what you are doing even if your not always achieving it. This is why we see a lot of OC corps never marching bigger than an 8 to 5 and the hornline playing lots of white notes too. (I am not saying all OC corps do this, because there are some that definitely don't!)

Ok, now we have one poster saying there is no difference in the sheets and one poster saying there is a difference. Could someone post a copy of the OC and WC sheets so we can see the difference in scoring, if indeed there is a difference.

Dean